Excited to Join the Homecoming Community

Hello Community,

I am new to the Homecoming Servers forum and excited to join this community. I've recently started playing and am loving the game so far. I am looking forward to learning more about the game, participating in events, and getting to know fellow players.

I enjoy teaming up for missions and exploring different character builds. If you have any tips or recommendations for a newbie, I’d really appreciate it. 

See you all in-game and on the forums.

Greetings,

Steve

• Like 16
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Welcome! 

There's some guides for new players in the "Guides" section of this forum, so you could start there.  It helps to read the forums in general, you'll pick up on a lot of good trivia and not-so-trivial info here too; for instance, you might spend some time the dedicated page for the character archetype you're playing.  Earning in-game monies is really easy, don't sweat it.  Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and ignore the blow-hards who'll denigrate you for them (blocking people is a real gift). 

Lastly, see my sig.   =)

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Welcome aboard, new friendo! There's a guide in my signature for these moments. Use the /help and /lfg channels liberally for questions as everyone's pretty friendly to newcomers.

• Like 1

Welcome Home!

One thing to help a new player:  a long, but partial, list of acronyms.  We use a lot of 'em in chats:

I'd also recommend asking for someone who leads teams and leagues often to give a good breakdown of the terminology given on the Looking for Group channel.  There's a lot of shorthand used in giving a "proper" invitation to join a pick-up group (PUG), so that players know what they're getting into.  Supposedly. @Snarky can tell you what happens when "supposedly" doesn't work.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Greetings and welcome, Steve!

We tend to be a welcoming and helpful bunch both here and in-game as well, though on occasion patience can wear thin at times.  🙂

~Red

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Welcome Home!

One thing to help a new player:  a long, but partial, list of acronyms.  We use a lot of 'em in chats:

I'd also recommend asking for someone who leads teams and leagues often to give a good breakdown of the terminology given on the Looking for Group channel.  There's a lot of shorthand used in giving a "proper" invitation to join a pick-up group (PUG), so that players know what they're getting into.  Supposedly. @Snarky can tell you what happens when "supposedly" doesn't work.  😁

Even when you know the "lingo" there can be grand miscommunication.  I joined a Rescuer Badge and Finder Defeat badge run yesterday.  The Rescuer arc is rescuing Penelope Yin's dad.  Takes 10 min.  The Finder badge is defeating a 100 Lost bosses.  add 5 for kill alls?  The PUG ad never mentioned +4.  40 minutes later....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A lot of helpful people in chat though a lot of us forget how much "intuitive stuff" is really just from playing the game over the last 20 years...

You'll also want to check https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

Note, it's not perfect, but does get updated.  (Though I think it's still in the midst of a server move, so it's been locked for a bit)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Even when you know the "lingo" there can be grand miscommunication.  I joined a Rescuer Badge and Finder Defeat badge run yesterday.  The Rescuer arc is rescuing Penelope Yin's dad.  Takes 10 min.  The Finder badge is defeating a 100 Lost bosses.  add 5 for kill alls?  The PUG ad never mentioned +4.  40 minutes later....

Oh yea, if you find yourself on a PUG with Snarky, there's probably something going to go wrong.  He's a magnet for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, lemming said:

Oh yea, if you find yourself on a PUG with Snarky, there's probably something going to go wrong.  He's a magnet for it.

what?  weird?

image.jpeg.3968ac84427afb00c05b2b0a61a65684.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

I found the easiest way to get Lost bosses was in the abandoned sewer, also Damned all while collecting the exploration badges.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 5/18/2024 at 2:34 AM, stevesmith said:

I am new to the Homecoming Servers forum

Which server(s) are you playing on?

How many characters have you made and what archetype are they?

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

How Dee.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

sup-dawgi-mean-cat.gif

• Microphone 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

On 5/17/2024 at 11:34 PM, stevesmith said:

Hello Community,

I am new to the Homecoming Servers forum and excited to join this community. I've recently started playing and am loving the game so far. I am looking forward to learning more about the game, participating in events, and getting to know fellow players.

I enjoy teaming up for missions and exploring different character builds. If you have any tips or recommendations for a newbie, I’d really appreciate it. 

See you all in-game and on the forums.

Greetings,

Steve

Welcome hero! ((Or villain!))

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

Hiya.

You’ll want to join the CoH discord for the most up to date builds(if you’re wanting that type of thing) and information. The forums are best for guides on money making and binds and such. 

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Ohai new friend you bring teh donuts?

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Welcome, Steve. It’s always cool to see new faces join this community. I am still learning (or relearning) this game. That’s what I love though.

I used to team before. These days, I am recently soloing. I am just focusing on earning more influence and making my characters stronger whenever I have the time, but you can always feel free to contact me/interact with me. 

If I have any tips, I would say this: Never let bad seeds ruin your experience and fun. Don’t engage and just ignore. Do what makes you happy. 

My tips are;

• don't worry about your build,
  • group with people when you can,
  • join a guild supergroup.
  • Like 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.