LOL. 10 second buffs. Blah

SmalltalkJava

I really find that I dislike them.   Aim, Build Up and buffs like that.  I just find them annoying.   I think that is why I never leveled a blaster very high.   On my brute I have it macrod in my razer controller to cast before I hit burn patch.   

It’s probably silly.  But I can’t help it. 

Edited by SmalltalkJava

11 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I really find that I dislike them.   Aim, Build Up and buffs like that.  I just find them annoying.   I think that is why I never leveled a blaster very high.   On my brute I have it macrod in my razer controller to cast before I hit burn patch.   

I am on both sides of this. On my brute, I really love hitting rage, Fiery Embrance and knockout punch when coming up against bosses & elites as it really gives a massive damage hit. I do find a lot of the time during normal play though, i constantly forgetting to hit fiery embrace. It would be great if the buff lasted another 5-10 seconds but I'm not complaining as its a much better power pick than many others available. 

• Like 2

On my fire/shield scrapper, I normally save build up for PBAoEs/AoEs (fire sword circle which has -res proc in, fire ball, shield charge, JUST enough to fit everything in 5 seconds of Gaussian's build up), or if it's one single hard target, start of single target attack chain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I'd love to see an option to choose either the current build-up/aim type powers, or an always-on auto power that gave much lower buffs, but they were persistent, (like how super reflexes got those 2 mutually exclusive powers).

Edited by biostem
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, biostem said:

I'd love to see an option to choose either the current build-up/aim type powers, or an always-on auto power that gave much lower buffs, but they were persistent, (like how super reflexes got those 2 mutually exclusive powers).

I guess the closest option would be tactics and assault in the leadership pool. 

I used to forget them so often I'd skip them in my build (especially Aim). The Gaussian chance for BU proc is a game changer, though, in that it turns your Aim or BU for an Aim+BU for a few seconds, almost doubling the damage of any big power you have. Now I use them religiously.

It's interesting in a way, with no difference in the functional effect, higher incentives managed to change my behavior.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hopeling said:

I also tend to underuse them unless they have a really nice secondary effect (Build Momentum) or I have some big attack that they naturally pair with, like Shield Charge or a nuke.

Same here. I feel like they're not available frequently enough to be part of the flow of combat naturally like Follow Up, so I've actually started reducing the amount of +Rech enhancement I put in them. ~35 seconds vs ~25 seconds recharge is basically the same thing to me in terms of actual gameplay, so I'll usually just shoot for whatever recharge value makes it match my nuke's recharge. It's definitely not optimal in terms of DPS, but nothing in this game requires optimal DPS so I can happily choose to be lazy and avoid making changes to my gameplay behavior.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Extending the duration of Aim/Buildup would be problematical. The buffs are powerful so they aren't meant to be constantly available. They're still up often enough to be useful, especially against 2 or more bosses.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

6 hours ago, Extor Prime said:

I "macro" mine to be used together with whatever big attack I use for the alpha strike. Autohotkey is magical. And in course of normal attack rotations, it's become a second nature to hit BU as soon as I see it come off cooldown.

I am interested in how to do this?  I have only recently started trying binds.

Never been much of a programmer or anything like that.

On my blaster, I have build up, aim, power boost and I rarely use them out of forgetfulness.  Every respec I look for something, anything to replace them, but alas there they sit on my toolbar.

I have a brute and a scrapper that aren't high enough in level to have any instant buffs, but by the time they do, i hope that i won't be ignoring them then. 

18 hours ago, nihilii said:

I used to forget them so often I'd skip them in my build (especially Aim). The Gaussian chance for BU proc is a game changer, though, in that it turns your Aim or BU for an Aim+BU for a few seconds, almost doubling the damage of any big power you have. Now I use them religiously.

It's interesting in a way, with no difference in the functional effect, higher incentives managed to change my behavior.

I keep forgetting I even have it on my Corr, but that sounds like a real nice option, I should probably go for that Gaussian proc.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 8/21/2019 at 5:14 AM, THEDarkTyger said:

Awesome on my stalker for that boss/EB/AV alpha strike...

Not only that but you stick in the Gaussians chance of build up proc and you begin dealing ridiculous numbers with assassins strike>Hide procs>Other hardest hitting primary. I my case it goes Assassin's strike>Hide proc>Crushing uppercut. You hit for a truly ridiculous amount even with smashing being a resisted damage type. I've popped like 600-700 damage Assassin's strikes followed by another 400 damage Crushing Uppercut. 

I still haven't even slotted in the 'chance of build up instant recharge' ATO in a power yet but sweet jesus I feel like with that she'd be a single target monster.

50 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

Not only that but you stick in the Gaussians chance of build up proc and you begin dealing ridiculous numbers with assassins strike>Hide procs>Other hardest hitting primary. I my case it goes Assassin's strike>Hide proc>Crushing uppercut. You hit for a truly ridiculous amount even with smashing being a resisted damage type. I've popped like 600-700 damage Assassin's strikes followed by another 400 damage Crushing Uppercut. 

I still haven't even slotted in the 'chance of build up instant recharge' ATO in a power yet but sweet jesus I feel like with that she'd be a single target monster.

It's really nice. I find that it goes off fairly often, and quite often at the end of my aoes as a stalker. That's also the time, when teamed, that I tend to start picking off the remaining bosses so it's pretty awesome.

As long as they match my T9 it's fine. I just pop it before my nuke for more nuke on my nuke. But yeah, otherwise all my builds only take Aim at level 30 for that reason, it's the only time I feel worth using it.

The Stalker chance of Build Up ATO changed my experience completely. Because you don't reduce the recharge time much, Guassian stacks very nicely. Since every attack has a change to proc the no cooldown effect, you can basically constantly use build up guilt free rather than feeling like you are saving it up.