Focused Feedback: Pineapple vs. Pizza

Obsidian Light

Focused Feedback: Pineapple vs. Pizza  

500 members have voted

1. 1. Line in the sand: Does Pineapple belong on Pizza?

• YES!! Make my pizza extra fruity! Bring on the Pineapple!!
    • NO!! Keep that abomination away from my pie!!
    • Who cares? I'm hungry. FEED ME!!

I don't normally get pineapple on pizza but the times I have had it, it was tasty. At our local pie place I used to get mandarin oranges and chipotle peppers on a pie. That was a nice combo, but they stopped offering mandarin oranges as a topping. Olives are one of my favorite toppings, only green olives though. I had a green olive and fresh jalapeno pie this weekend and it was outstanding.

You know, say what you will about pineapple, it's at least a "traditional" pizza topping. It's been around for years and years, and people know it goes well with ham (Canadian bacon) on a pizza.

There are so, so many other toppings that are so much less traditional-pizza-like than pineapple. I mean, look at Papa Murphy's "Herb Chicken Mediterranean" pizza:

Our Artisan Thin Crust, topped with Olive Oil, Chopped Garlic, Whole-Milk Mozzarella, Grilled Chicken Raised Without Antibiotics, Fresh Spinach, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Crumbled Feta and Zesty Herbs

I'd take a ham and pineapple pizza over this, any day.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

On 9/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, Rikmach said:

When it comes to the *concept* of Pineapple on Pizza, I have no problem.  People eat weird things all the time, and more power to them.

The problem I have is that Pizza is usually a *social* food, often bought for a family or a gathering, and anyone insisting on pineapple almost always means people who don't like pineapple always lose out.

To explain what I mean, let me give you an example:   Say there's a small party with four people, and they order two Pizzas:  One Hawaiian, and one Pepperoni.   Two of the party goers don't like Pineapple, but the other two are fine with both pizzas.

What happens if one of the Pineapple-eaters decide that they want a slice of Pepperoni?

Now it means that's there's less pizza for Pineapple-haters to eat overall- they can't eat any of the hawaiian, and they now have one less slice of Pepperoni they could eat.

In short, people who order Pineapple pizzas, and eat *any other* kind o pizza before theirs is all gone are unfairly taking food away from other people- and they do this all the time, often without even thinking about it or realizing what they're doing to the other people there.

Like... be decent.   Just stick to the pineapple pizza until it's gone, okay?  It's just polite.

Well, the same can be said for ANY pizza topping.

"You order two pizzas, one pepperoni, one mushroom, but two people don't like mushrooms. There's now less pizza for those two people."

"You order two pizzas, one supreme and one pepperoni, but two people don't like olives or onions. There's now less pizza for those two people."

Etc, etc.

Personally, I despise mushrooms on pizza. I think they're disgusting. But like any rational adult, of someone orders one with mushrooms on it, I'll either not eat it or pick them off. You can do the same thing with pineapple, if your sensibilities are so horrified by the prospect of pineapple on pizza. Unless you think it's somehow "tainted" the entire pizza. But the same can, again, be said for any topping.

If you even consider pineapple on pizza, you're either a monster who hates textures or ignorant. The juice destroys the binding proteins in cheese and turns the entire thing into a vile rubbery mess. The flavor, sure, whatever, sour-sweet can absolutely go on a pizza. The specific fruit? Get it away from all pizza forever.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

Well, the same can be said for ANY pizza topping.

"You order two pizzas, one pepperoni, one mushroom, but two people don't like mushrooms. There's now less pizza for those two people."

"You order two pizzas, one supreme and one pepperoni, but two people don't like olives or onions. There's now less pizza for those two people."

Etc, etc.

Personally, I despise mushrooms on pizza. I think they're disgusting. But like any rational adult, of someone orders one with mushrooms on it, I'll either not eat it or pick them off. You can do the same thing with pineapple, if your sensibilities are so horrified by the prospect of pineapple on pizza. Unless you think it's somehow "tainted" the entire pizza. But the same can, again, be said for any topping.

Pineapples come close to Tainting the entire genre of Pizzas .. forever .. throughout the multiverse.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

I move that all “who cares?” Votes be moved to the sane side of No Pineapple.

Sorry, no go. The third option are the people who say they'll eat anything. That's not actively Pro-Pineapple, but it's certainly not Anti-Pineapple. They're saying they'll eat it if it's there.

Excelsior Global Channel - for your server wide chat and forming TFs, Trials, Radios, Farms, whatever you want to do - /chan_join Excelsior today!

18 minutes ago, Amatyr said:

Sorry, no go. The third option are the people who say they'll eat anything. That's not actively Pro-Pineapple, but it's certainly not Anti-Pineapple. They're saying they'll eat it if it's there.

Then, a vote for anything may as well be a vote for Pineapple.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Depends on the pizza. I like the Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza from papa johns / pizza hut.

Barbecue sauce instead of pizza sauce

Grilled Chicken

Bacon

Onion

Pineapples. 

And back when they still had more crust options Id get the smokehouse barbecue crust at pizza hut while at papa johns I get the new round pan crust. Superb pizzas.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Haijinx said:

We are completely ignoring the elephant in the room. 

NY or Chicago style?  

Depends on what you decide is Chicago style. Some people will just say deep dish, but others will say it's that double-decker shit.

I like deep dish fine, but if it's double-decker, it's not a good look. I've never come across a place that can manage to actually cook it all the way through, and instead you're left with this doughy mess in the center. 🤢

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cyntalan said:

Depends on what you decide is Chicago style. Some people will just say deep dish, but others will say it's that double-decker shit.

I like deep dish fine, but if it's double-decker, it's not a good look. I've never come across a place that can manage to actually cook it all the way through, and instead you're left with this doughy mess in the center. 🤢

Is Giodano's still pizza?  Hard to say. 

How thick is the maximum allowed? 

17 minutes ago, csr said:

Pineapples are the new anchovies.  Neither belongs on a pizza unless the chooser is going to be the only one eating it.

Funny thing is I love anchovies, but I hate them on Pizza.  On a salad though, especially with a creamy dressing like ceaser or blue cheese, they are awesome. 

I also love Pinapple but not on Pizza. 

I dislike pineapple on pizza.

But I understand it, from a chemical and flavor standpoint. Pineapple, like tomato, is acidic. That's what gives it the sweetness. Combine the two for a stronger acidic, stronger sweet, flavor. Sweet against Savory or Salty is typically nice, that's the whole basis of pizza, after all, with cheese (Salty), bread (savory), and tomato (sweet).

I just feel like it gets -too- sweet in relation to my preferred savory/salty levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

I dislike pineapple on pizza.

But I understand it, from a chemical and flavor standpoint. Pineapple, like tomato, is acidic. That's what gives it the sweetness. Combine the two for a stronger acidic, stronger sweet, flavor. Sweet against Savory or Salty is typically nice, that's the whole basis of pizza, after all, with cheese (Salty), bread (savory), and tomato (sweet).

I just feel like it gets -too- sweet in relation to my preferred savory/salty levels.

Obviously you skip the tomato.

There are many kinds of sweet that can go with salty. Fruity sweet is nasty in combination with salty. Sugary sweet can go well with salty. This goes double when the focus of the taste is intended to be sweet. A strong sweet base can be complimented by a subtle salty (see sea salt caramel). A strong salty base can be complimented by a subtle sweet (see peanut butter stuffed pretzels). Pineapple, however, is a strong sweet. Combining it with anything means it will be the predominate flavor, and putting it up against other otherwise-predominate flavors means it clashes. Add in the fact it's a fruity sweet instead of a sugary sweet, and the end result is a mess.

Contrast with tomato, which is a subtle sweet, and why it works with pizza.

2 hours ago, cyntalan said:

There are many kinds of sweet that can go with salty. Fruity sweet is nasty in combination with salty. Sugary sweet can go well with salty. This goes double when the focus of the taste is intended to be sweet. A strong sweet base can be complimented by a subtle salty (see sea salt caramel). A strong salty base can be complimented by a subtle sweet (see peanut butter stuffed pretzels). Pineapple, however, is a strong sweet. Combining it with anything means it will be the predominate flavor, and putting it up against other otherwise-predominate flavors means it clashes. Add in the fact it's a fruity sweet instead of a sugary sweet, and the end result is a mess.

Contrast with tomato, which is a subtle sweet, and why it works with pizza.

... yes and no.

Poi. Poi is Pineapple, Taro Root, and Bananas. And it is -incredible- with Ham and a variety of Fishes. It's definitely a fruity sweet instead of a sugary sweet, because of the Citric Acid, but there are savories which blend with it -so- freaking well!

Meanwhile a nice Brown Sugar Baked Ham with Pineapple Juice (Generally served with the Pineapple Rings and Cherries on top) is also freaking -magnificent-. 

Pineapples and Onions also make a freaking -delicious- marinade base with a tiny bit of vinegar or worcestershire sauce that you soak a steak in overnight before grilling it the next day. Granted, go light on the pineapple for that one! Bonus points if you dice the steak into cubes and grill it with the onion and pineapple from the marinade on a skewer!

It's the interaction that makes Tomato-Pineapple so strong.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Confused 1