Fly..does anyone LIKE it?

Razor Cure

Being able to Fly or Super Jump were both things that had, to my Knowledge, never been done as they were here. I had a few Toons with Fly and still do, when it fits the rest of the character. Otherwise I go SJ. I almost always carry a few hours of Jetpack Time on every Toon, it is almost necessary to be an efficient Badge Hunter. Getting " Busy, Busy Bee " without some sort of Flight would be extremely difficult and deadly.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

How do you get detoggled by using travel powers? The only situation I can think of is Super Jump detoggling Combat Jumping, and that can easily be solved by creating a macro or bind of "powexecname super jump$$powexecname combat jumping" which gives you a button that swaps between the two. But I've never been detoggled by my travel power, and I play mostly tanks, scrappers, and brutes.

Maybe at lower levels, before I've got my End issues sorted, if I leave my travel power on, but flight is going to do that too.

The tank was likely talking about the magic carpet, hover board, or sky skiff (energy disk) that all let you fly and never run out. The drawback is that they detoggle every single toggle power on every character that uses them regardless of AT. Apparently the reason for that, was a shortcut as when they designed it the gfx from the toggles would of needed to be individually adjusted to work with the powers (which seems completely backwards to me but Ithe actual game code what written in a fashion that the best analogy would be: imagine 30 6 year olds each with a roll of yarn, they go into your house and tied off the end and run wild leaving trails of "spider" yarn everywhere; that's the code, and someone trying to make sense of it is the parent stuck cleaning the mess).

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

the best analogy would be: imagine 30 6 year olds each with a roll of yarn, they go into your house and tied off the end and run wild leaving trails of "spider" yarn everywhere; that's the code, and someone trying to make sense of it is the parent stuck cleaning the mess).

Like that, only when you unhook one of the pieces of yarn from around the coffee table leg, all the lights upstairs turn purple and then half of the bulbs explode, and no one can explain how or why that could possibly happen.  Also, when you look outside your swimming pool is now on fire.

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Especially if you play a ranged character, having Hover for many who stay out of melee range is a build must.

Um..no, it's not. Hover is slow. Woefully slow for combat situations. Combat Jump allows for the same defensive IOs, and is far more useful in fighting situations. In fact, I've not taken hover since it's no longer required to get flight. I get that some folks like hover - but I don't and never will and am the better player for having taken combat jumping instead. It's a playstyle thing, not a "build must".  Not for me, anyway. CJ and SS is the way to go for every character I play. 

Super Jump is a rare case of a "second best at everything" winning out over all the first-bests.  It's not as fast as Superspeed or Teleport, but it's pretty fast.  It doesn't have the vertical of Fly or Teleport, but it's got enough vertical.  It's not as totally-in-control as Fly, but you don't have to babysit it like Teleport.

Which sucks, because honestly it's really hard to recommend any of the other travel powers over SJ.  I think Fly should get a hefty speed increase, SS should get a little bit of jump (since it's presumably de facto impossible to allow running up walls), and god I don't even know what we could do with teleport.  Wrap in long-distance-teleport to the basic power, maybe?  But that still won't be useful until/unless they take away enterbasefrompasscode.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I think Fly should get a hefty speed increase

Incoming pseudo prophetic posts about how this would cause an imbalance in the game to such a degree that all of creation would twist inward unto itself, thereby causing destruction on a cosmic scale the likes of which has never been witnessed....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Um..no, it's not. Hover is slow. Woefully slow for combat situations. Combat Jump allows for the same defensive IOs, and is far more useful in fighting situations. In fact, I've not taken hover since it's no longer required to get flight. I get that some folks like hover - but I don't and never will and am the better player for having taken combat jumping instead. It's a playstyle thing, not a "build must".  Not for me, anyway. CJ and SS is the way to go for every character I play. 

I don't find it all that slow for combat situations, but that may be just me.  YMMV.  *shrug*

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

46 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Um..no, it's not. Hover is slow. Woefully slow for combat situations.

hahaha, maybe on your character. In my opinion, Hover+Combat Jumping+Siphon Speed = glorious combat movement. (that's right, I run both hover and CJ)

@Razor Cure, me thinks you may have your answer. To summarize: Fly is loved. Super Jump is often used. Super speed needs combat jumping. Teleport is fast but very needy.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

hahaha, maybe on your character. In my opinion, Hover+Combat Jumping+Siphon Speed = glorious combat movement. (that's right, I run both hover and CJ)

@Razor Cure, me thinks you may have your answer. To summarize: Fly is loved. Super Jump is often used. Super speed needs combat jumping. Teleport is fast but very needy.

Sheesh, It's not like I have a kin secondary on all my characters. Only one of them. And even that one has SS and CJ. Hover is too slow. But that's just me. You do you. City of Options. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

I never take Fly. Never. SS+CJ, all the way.

However..I took it on my new blaster cause he is a spaceman kinda thing!

ANd..it it just so so sooooooooooooooooooo SLOW.

I never slot SS for speed, as it is great right outta the box. Swift gets a Run Speed, and with cj, you can basically more about kinda suppressed (when ss get sup'd, you have cj to bounce around with, with NEVER slows down)..

But with the Flight pool...Hover is stupidly slow..and uses over twice the end! My new blaster (beam/ta) has swift, fly and agilty all slotted with 1 FlySpeed IO..making my fly speed 67ish mph. And yet..my friend flies almost exactly the same speed, using just the Raptor pack!

Do FLy and Hover really need what I see as basically wasted slots (since, again, ss/cj dont need run or jump) to be anything other than agonizingly slow?

I barely know anyone who takes SS at all, everyone I know loathes it with great loathing

• Like 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 hours ago, tafilr said:

My go-to is always CJ and SJ.   With Hover in the mix on a few characters.  Fly is cool in theory, then I pick it, realize how slow it is, then Respec out of it.  Every time.  

YES.

Also, in regards to the hover vs cj talk..

I agree, Hover is a nice IO mule and the psuedo KB prot (but seriously, who is NOT slotting one -kb IO these days? so many spots for those), and ranged hover blasting. But the -kb is sorta pointless, as just mentioned, and there is also a lot of power sets that need to be near melee at least sometimes, such as Kinetics.

As for CJ, the immob prot is another part of the draw for me (really notice the lack of it fighting CoT or archnos). The amount of times I have seen a hover-toon webbed and ganked in a mission..well..it's a lot!

I forget though..is it Hover or ZFly itself that has the -fly prot built in? Is that enough to stop a normal immob downing you?

11 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Sure, it's a little slower (take Afterburner - faster Fly, and somewhere to slot LotG +Rech) but I get to admire the scenery so much more.

It's not relevant to the game per se, but this reminds me of a comment made by a blimp pilot: "I don't care how long you've been flying; you'll never see an airplane stop just to take a better look at the sharks." With SS or SJ or TP, you have to end somewhere; SS leaves you down in the streets, and you have to plan with SJ or TP to stop on an empty rooftop. But with Fly, you just zip straight up and stop, and aside from a few specific mob types you can go idle for a drink, or to answer the door, or to the bathroom, secure in the knowledge that you're out of range of interruptions. And it gives you enormously more leisure to frame screenshots of a scene you find particularly noteworthy.

9 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Don't get me STARTED on trying to do a Speedster in freaking GRANDVILLE. And St. Martial or Mercy are only marginally better.

Or Echo:Faultline. Even the revamped Faultline can still be ugly.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 3

I don't always take the actual Travel version of powers (Fly, Super Jump, Teleport).
When I DO take an actual Travel power, I don't often take Fly.
When I DO take Fly, it's great to have total 3D control in a way that Hover just can't give you.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I pick super speed usually on any character that doesn't already have their own stealth power in their primary or secondary sets.  Super speed combined with a stealth IO is easy full invisibility.  In other words to me super speed is a stealth power that happens to make you run real fast.  I could take stealth itself now since the annoying -runspeed to it was dropped, but often I don't have room or I've already used up my 4 power pools (and I'm usually already picking up hasten anyway.) 

And yes, when I do grab super speed I always get combat jumping to go with it, gives you enough vertical to get to where you need to go almost always.  I can put on a temp jet fly pack for the rare times I need it (and just a 1 hour fly pack will last almost forever when you are only occasionally using it for 5 seconds at a time here and there.)

Even if fly speed was increased I don't think it'd change things much for me.

By default I tend to grab Mystic Flight on most characters; yes it's a little slower than SS/SJ but it offers more control and really, the speed issue is seldom important.  Most of the time Fly (or Mystic Flight) will get you to the mission door nearly as fast as if not faster than SS/SJ characters.  Outside of having to get from one end of IP to the other the speed difference isn't enough to matter.  Does it really matter if it takes you another 10 seconds to get there?  Likely you'll be waiting on some of your team anyway and nothing else comes close to the mobility of Fly.  If you're masochistic enough to go to the Shadow Shard other travel powers aren't very effective... not a major issue since most players avoid that zone.

The few exceptions are typically Tankers with CJ/SJ as the travel power and that's more of a flavor thing than anything else.  Flying is simply much more convenient than any other travel power.  I had very few characters with SS at Shutdown and none here on Homecoming; the only reason I'd get it is to stack with a stealth power.  I had it on my Dark/Dark Defender (Shadowfall + SS = Invis) and my Plant/Storm Controller (Steamy Mist + SS) on Live.  The SS/SJ combination is problematic because it uses two of your four power pools; quite a few builds may not have an extra pool to devote to it.

Back on Live over the course of the game I tried every travel power and eventually settled on Fly for the majority.  A Granite Tanker is the only character with TP and only used it for combat mobility... I had Fly for the actual Travel power... thanks to the -speed/-jump of Rooted or Granite you're almost forced into TP in combat.  Since IO's became a thing and near Granite levels of toughness became possible on more mobile powersets I don't see any point in Stone Armor anymore so TP goes back into the abyss from whence it came.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Me!  I take fly on all my toons. All of them. Not only do I love the ability to fly (not really common in games, let's face it, at least not without some kind of craft like in SWTOR), but I also love hover and use it in my game play.  My main is a blaster, and she frequently hovers over EBs, AVs, GMs, whatever.  Not only do I get mad defense doing so, but I am out of melee range (and if the baddie can fly, I can quickly ground them with chilblain), but I also can slot def/res procs and LOTG recharge (which I am finding less meaningful with set bonuses, but ymmv).

Lately, I've tried Mystic Flight on a few toons, but I'm not a fan and have respec'd out or will do so . . . for fly!

One of the many many things I missed about COH was flying.  So yes, I fly.  And yes, I love it.  And yes, I would be horrified if there were any thought of removing it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I had very few characters with SS at Shutdown and none here on Homecoming; the only reason I'd get it is to stack with a stealth power.  I had it on my Dark/Dark Defender (Shadowfall + SS = Invis) and my Plant/Storm Controller (Steamy Mist + SS) on Live. 

As I mentioned those are exactly the characters I don't take SS on as something like shadowfall + Celerity: stealth IO gives you that invis, so SS isn't needed.   So, on those characters I feel free to go with fly or SJ.  😀

Most of my other characters I go SS in order to get that full invis, SS + Stealth IO,  since they don't naturally have their own built in stealth to stack with the IO.

Most of mine use the SS/CJ combo but I use Flight on 2 toons. One because a couple of wing options go really well with it's costume theme, the other because one of the cyberspine options on it with the sparkles aura kinda looks neat when you pan back and watch it in flight, like on of those GN drives for any Gundam fans on here.