Fly..does anyone LIKE it?

Razor Cure

I wouldn't mind seeing the speed cap on flight raised, but that would make afterburner either largely useless or ridiculously powerful.

The only reasons I know of not to increase it are to have SS people feel superior (People flying at SS speeds would cause a whining cascade) and the slide. If you put flight at SS levels and left the sloppy handling air-slide on a stop, you'd be a block away from where you intended to be when you let go of the W key.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steampunkette said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the speed cap on flight raised, but that would make afterburner either largely useless or ridiculously powerful.

The only reasons I know of not to increase it are to have SS people feel superior (People flying at SS speeds would cause a whining cascade) and the slide. If you put flight at SS levels and left the sloppy handling air-slide on a stop, you'd be a block away from where you intended to be when you let go of the W key.

thats what S is for to stop you know, reverse thrust Mr Data!!!

• Haha 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I actually would love it if there were some sort of Flight power that let you ram things, similar to Spring Attack, Shield Charge, etc.  It would thematically fit REALLY well on at least one char of mine.....

How feasible would it be to have this as a "bonus" power tied to Afterburner (Like how Takeoff grants Mighty Leap while active), with a long cooldown, and make it the ONLY attack you could use with Afterburner?  Be even cooler if it actually had a MINIMUM range.....

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 2

If the devs corrected the "de-toggle bug" on the P2W's travel powers and added a "revoke" feature to all of them then I would be more interested in trying them.  On the one hand, I'm interested in the thematic possibilities of the flying carpet.  But the de-toggle doesn't fit my toon's theme at all!

Honestly, I think moving ALL of the travel powers to the P2W agent would be an idea worth considering.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

Fly is my favorite followed by Teleport then Super Speed.

On live my Fire/Fire blaster had SS/SJ I dont usually double up on movement but was getting hasten, Combat Jumping, and Acrobatics anyways.

My live Fire/Kin controller technically didnt have a travel power -- technically, Siphon Speed and Inertial Reduction accomplish the same thing as SJ. 

Fly is nice for moving around zones, as others have said go up then straight to your target. Fly is also really nice in missions.  Super speed does nice moving around corridors too, SJ and TP just are not as useful in constricted space.

• Like 2

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I have a Sentinel that I built around Super Reflexes and Hover... the idea being that, since I am flying, I can pretty much ignore any melee defenses. There aren't many flying melee NPCs or Player characters, even though you can technically use Hover to get closer to the S/L caps. Hover gives you EXCELLENT Positional defenses. The only places it doesn't work as well is tight spaces.... but you ARE a flying character, after all. They COULD superjump at me, but if I am zoomed out enough, I think you can side step them fairly decently.

However, I must note, on the topic of flying melee.... I really dig it for scrappers. There is nothing quite like flying over GMs and smacking them on top, while ignoring all the little guys whose ranged attacks are laughable.

But yeah, I guess they didn't make Fly faster than SS, and Hover isn't quicker than Combat Jumping. Considering the Utility of flight, it would make other travel powers, outside of Teleport, obsolete if they did.

• Like 1

In general the use of fly is to get you from one mission to another, it has nearly no practical use when within a mission, for that you would use hover. 

In the old days, there was a common courtesy practice for all team members waiting for their team mates to enter the mission before clearing the map, now some as soon as they get in, they get down to business and often those with slow travel powers or not as experienced in the ways of inter map travel miss a good portion of the exp to be gaiend and in some occassions the stealther got to the clicky and clicked it before their team mates got to the location.

Because of the above, is mainly the reason I sought a faster fly power, the purchasable flight is much faster, and I am yet to hear cries or complaints on how unbalanced that is. The truth is that the purchase flight is about the right speed to allow the game to be enjoyable and prevent the travel time from turning the mission from fun to boring.

As it is for my fire/axe tanker with 10 toggles, I decided to buy the vendor fly despite of the detoggles, focused on getting combat jump for the knockback protection (I can slot an anti-knockback IO there and a stealth too!) Between my mission teleport, and the vendor flight  I get to the mission with the rest of the group, and as the inconsiderate ones go to town killing the mobs in the map, I spend the time bringing my toggles up while the rest of the team assembles. If those who were to rude to wait for the rest dies, I chalk it to poetic justice, there is a reason the TFs are group events.

I really like Fly. Basically all of my characters end up with either CJ/SJ or Hover/Fly depending on whether they're melee or ranged based. Both options give good combat maneuverability (CJ more than Hover) while Hover is usually better for leveraging ranged cones and staying out of melee range. While I wouldn't mind Fly having a slightly higher speed cap, I don't think it's problematic right now because what you lose in speed vs. other travel powers you can make up in route selection. Speedsters and Super Jumpers are bound by map geometry while a Flier can just go straight from point A to point B, and in my experience the travel powers end up being roughly equally fast over time. Flat maps are won by SS, medium geometry maps by SJ and very vertical / unconnected area types by Fly.

• Like 2

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Personally I never get Hover, it's another power pick and limited use.  For my flying characters who use it in combat I just use Mystic Flight and manage my end usage.  It saves one power choice, accomplishes the same purpose and doesn't require loads of movement bonuses to be functional.

I think the last character I had with Hover was before the pool changes allowing a travel power with no prerequisite.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I like fly, chiefly for ranged/squishy characters like my blasters or defenders/corruptors.  Much though will depend on the concept for the character, for example my fire blaster has fly, but my archery device blaster does not.  Doing an infiltrator Hawkeye type character didnt seem to work with him flying and ss combined with his cloak make him able to slip past mobs and fits with the characters concept.  In general though fly pairs very well with ranged ATs as it is easy for them to stack up ranged defense and fly will keep you out of melee range.  My fire blaster has ranged tanked everything up to EB quite well in the past, with incarnate abilities like Barrier making it childsplay to range tank anything including many AVs.  As far as its speed goes with a flight boost in sprint and two slotting Fly I dont find the speed awful.  I also dont consider two slotting it a waste as I generally use Blessing of Zephyr to boost my ranged defense.  Unless i take Afterburner I usually skip Hover and Afterburner allows you to move faster than SJ does, but havent tested against SS in a straight line.

7 hours ago, DrRocket said:

In general the use of fly is to get you from one mission to another, it has nearly no practical use when within a mission, for that you would use hover. 

Fly reaches the speed cap unslotted, so it's a freebie slot for a Stealth IO.  It's great for stealthing missions.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 12/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, boggo2300 said:

I barely know anyone who takes SS at all, everyone I know loathes it with great loathing

This. 

I am honestly surprised this thread isn't titled "Flight! Is there really any other viable travel power?"

Then amidst a chorus of "Of course not" and "Fly is the best!" I would make a

thoughtful case for why Ninja Run is also pretty cool. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 6

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

I used to LOVE fly, now all my fliers switched to Mystic Flight for Rune of Protection in the Sorcery Pool, it's just that good for my squishies.

Edited by Kismette
  • Like 2

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

• 2 weeks later

Hover covers what Combat Jumping does. It's extra defense and lower power consumption.

Fly is a bit slow, but you can slot it up and there is another power in the pool to make you fly faster.

The basics of why Fly is slow is because it is the safest travel power.

There aren't a lot of villains flying around in the air in most zones (none on the lower level zones), so you can get somewhere without being attacked!

Super Jump keeps you in the air, but you still have to land somewhere.

i would agree with the change to allowing purchase of the main travel power at the same time as it's lower level defense related travel power, that flight should allow you to move faster a bit faster.

I see friends going with the sorcery pool to get the flight with built in teleport. That appears to be a bit faster if you use the teleport.

However, I will still make characters with fly due to character conception, but then I'm a character conception type of player.

I like experiencing the game through the character I'm playing at the time base on the way that character would relate to THE CITY.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Add me to the chorus of players who almost always take Fly as a travel power. Sure it has a slow cap speed, but that just means I slot it with some other IO! (I tried Afterburner, but didn't find it improved things much). My next favorite travel power is Super Jumping. Those two travel powers let me see the most of the world.

I like to have Hover to go through missions, primarily because the animation evokes certain cinematic characters calmly moving through buildings bringing destruction (erm, justice) to all the opponents. To be honest, Group Flight really offers the best speed & combat control of the pool, but good luck finding teammates who don't think you're griefing them personally when using it. Only thing I'll add here: If you are in Pocket D for a League mission and you don't want to be 'punished' with Group Flight, take 10 seconds to visit Null the Gull to turn it off instead of using extra time to complain about it in team chat.

The Sorcery pool is a fine alternative flight option, but with one major drawback: Choosing Sorcery: Mystic Flight means you can't take Force of Will: Weaken Resolve! I definitely understand if you are dipping deeper into the Sorcery Pool.

• Like 3