Fly..does anyone LIKE it?

Razor Cure

I never take Fly. Never. SS+CJ, all the way.

However..I took it on my new blaster cause he is a spaceman kinda thing!

ANd..it it just so so sooooooooooooooooooo SLOW.

I never slot SS for speed, as it is great right outta the box. Swift gets a Run Speed, and with cj, you can basically more about kinda suppressed (when ss get sup'd, you have cj to bounce around with, with NEVER slows down)..

But with the Flight pool...Hover is stupidly slow..and uses over twice the end! My new blaster (beam/ta) has swift, fly and agilty all slotted with 1 FlySpeed IO..making my fly speed 67ish mph. And yet..my friend flies almost exactly the same speed, using just the Raptor pack!

Do FLy and Hover really need what I see as basically wasted slots (since, again, ss/cj dont need run or jump) to be anything other than agonizingly slow?

I like fly for auto-pilot.  Set direction, up up to top of map, auto-run, go get coke or have smoke break, come back and there you are.  

I take SJ on 95% of my toons.  SS makes me run into things even more than I do normally and teleport is just UGH.

• Like 4

There are two main reasons that I play CoX.  One of them is Fire Blast, and the other is Fly.  I love Fly.  Sure, it's a little slower (take Afterburner - faster Fly, and somewhere to slot LotG +Rech) but I get to admire the scenery so much more.  I can pass serenely above everything, taking a direct line to the mission, flying into a gorgeous sunset or moonrise.  I can swoop in amongst the buildings; I can dip down and zoom along at ground level clicking my badging macro and zapping Ancestor Spirits.  I can skim just above the surface of the water with an extremely cool splashy sound.  My cape flutters out behind me!  There are multiple Fly poses!  Fly is the best travel power.

(Also, unslotted Fly will hit the flight speed cap, so it's really just a nice open slot for a +Stealth IO.)

• Like 11

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I take fly on all my toons. Especially a blaster. It means you can hover over them as they pelt you with their ranged attacks instead of pummel you with their melee attacks, which are usually a bit stronger. I can also get to places without the need to worry as much about obstacles.

If I wanted to optimize I would just use Ninja run, and buy a void skiff, flying carpet or a rocket board.

• Like 3

I take fly on all my toons. It tends to go way over cap in speed without having to slot it.

In fact, I think if they increased the cap, more people would take it.

Being limited to 58 mph flying when you can reach over 200 mph is kind of boring.

• Like 2

I particularly like to fly, it does make me feel kinda super...

My problem is that there is no reason to buy fly or any travel powers, when you can go to the P2 vendor and buy them there. Those movement abilities are much faster than the regular power fly and they even provide some semblance of protection to boot.

I am not advocating the removal of travel powers from the P2 Vendor, I fully embrace the reason for them being there for they solve a large number of old day game mechanics quite well. That said, I believe that if a player buys a travel power through the proper character development system such as flight and super jump, that those powers performance should be noticeably better (faster) than the ones you can purchase with influence. For instance the normal flight should be as fast as what it is now with afterburner, to make it competitive with the purchased ones, and then boost-up afterburner. 

Since I am not a fan of super jump and super speed, I can't really advice what the new performance parameters can be since I have insufficient understanding to benchmark them. But I am sure other players, who do, can provide reasonable suggestions to complete my proposal here.

2 minutes ago, DrRocket said:

I particularly like to fly, it does make me feel kinda super...

My problem is that there is no reason to buy fly or any travel powers, when you can go to the P2 vendor and buy them there. Those movement abilities are much faster than the regular power fly and they even provide some semblance of protection to boot.

As a Tank main the reason to take fly is so I don't get detoggled every single time I use my travel power. When you've had to enable at least 6 toggles over and over for countless hours you'd want to take it from a pool, too.

1 hour ago, MrAxe said:

As a Tank main the reason to take fly is so I don't get detoggled every single time I use my travel power. When you've had to enable at least 6 toggles over and over for countless hours you'd want to take it from a pool, too.

How do you get detoggled by using travel powers? The only situation I can think of is Super Jump detoggling Combat Jumping, and that can easily be solved by creating a macro or bind of "powexecname super jump$$powexecname combat jumping" which gives you a button that swaps between the two. But I've never been detoggled by my travel power, and I play mostly tanks, scrappers, and brutes.

Maybe at lower levels, before I've got my End issues sorted, if I leave my travel power on, but flight is going to do that too.

Roderick

The normal travel powers does not detoggle you, but the P2Vendor flights does.

My Fire/Axe Tanker has 10 toggles, so the decision to get the P2 vendor power was a difficult one, but thelure to get an additioanl combat power won.

I  just haave to plan my landing spots more carefully, and the team can wait till I toggle-up.

I also purched all the teeleports for the P2 vendor which makes this issue less painful

Flight is great. It's slower, but it's more direct. So in zones like Indy, SS is King 'cause there's lots of straightaways. But places like Perez Park, Crotoa, Faultline, you kinda need the vertical of Superjump, TP, or the king of those zones: Fly.

Don't get me STARTED on trying to do a Speedster in freaking GRANDVILLE. And St. Martial or Mercy are only marginally better.

• Like 2

Fly is my overall favorite travel power, but I generally only take it if it fits the theme of the character. If fly doesn't fit, then I'll usually take super jump, which is more fun but also can be more annoying than fly. I'm not a fan of super speed or teleport, and I'll only use to the P2W travel powers (beast run) if I just can't find a spare slot, like on my farmer characters.

• Like 3

I love fly, and mystic flight as well. They are far more useful tactically then other travel powers and thus rightfully lacks abit of speed in the name of balance.

Frankly I dont get the need for speed some on COH have. To be honest there are better games out there for that itch. I play warframe for example when I want fast smooth action game play. I play CoH specifically for its slower oldschool play style.

Especially if you play a ranged character, having Hover for many who stay out of melee range is a build must.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

You're going to get all kinds of responses about how increasing the speed of flight will somehow completely and utterly destroy the game and the entire universe because of "balance". 

How fast would you make flight, then?  Would you make it just as fast as SS?  Surely no one would bother with SS, then.  Strawmanning the need for balance doesn't make it any less of a concern...

• Like 2

I take Fly on almost all of my characters, because it's fun, cool, and easy to use.  Yes, it's slower than the other travel powers, but I don't care about that.  When I don't take Fly, I take Super Jump.  I hate Super Speed, because I hate running into things like a hyperactive squirrel on crack without vertical control.  I don't take both SJ and SS, because why waste a power selection on two travel powers, when one will usually do (either Fly or SJ)?

• Like 4

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

fly is amazing for a number of reasons

built in knockback protection 

reduces enemy attacks to be mostly ranged

easy to use compared to other travel powers

feels great.

As a side note, u can slot swift with fly enhancements to make hover faster. there are also set bonuses that enhance travel power speeds as well as incarnate powers. Also with all the teleport options currently available u can avoid nearly all travel times regardless. 

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

4 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

But with the Flight pool...Hover is stupidly slow..and uses over twice the end! My new blaster (beam/ta) has swift, fly and agilty all slotted with 1 FlySpeed IO..making my fly speed 67ish mph. And yet..my friend flies almost exactly the same speed, using just the Raptor pack!

Do FLy and Hover really need what I see as basically wasted slots (since, again, ss/cj dont need run or jump) to be anything other than agonizingly slow?

Hover offers the same defense value as Combat Jumping, but costs more endurance because of the benefit of being able to hover out of range of enemies.  For ranged damage-dealing, the flexibility of movement offered by Hover is better utility than CJ.  Additionally, one can use Hover to slot LotG and/or Kismet +ToHit.

A single Fly Speed enhancement in Fly (or Swift) is sufficient to cap flight speed, so you don't need to "waste" slots on Fly.  I usually put a Fly Speed enhancement in Swift, which increases the speed of both Hover and Fly.  I then slot Fly with a Winter's Gift +KB Protection, because I'm usually playing a squishy that needs all the KB prot they can get.

@Rathstar

combat jumping provides excellent air control and immobilization protection, i do like hover but IMO CJ is the better power.

4 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Hover offers the same defense value as Combat Jumping, but costs more endurance because of the benefit of being able to hover out of range of enemies.  For ranged damage-dealing, the flexibility of movement offered by Hover is better utility than CJ.  Additionally, one can use Hover to slot LotG and/or Kismet +ToHit.

A single Fly Speed enhancement in Fly (or Swift) is sufficient to cap flight speed, so you don't need to "waste" slots on Fly.  I usually put a Fly Speed enhancement in Swift, which increases the speed of both Hover and Fly.  I then slot Fly with a Winter's Gift +KB Protection, because I'm usually playing a squishy that needs all the KB prot they can get.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 minute ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

combat jumping provides excellent air control and immobilization protection, i do like hover but IMO CJ is the better power.

I respectfully disagree.  I believe CJ is better on melee characters, but Hover is better on ranged characters.  However, I do like Combat Jumping, and if I can fit both Hover and CJ into the same build, I usually do.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

27 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Hover offers the same defense value as Combat Jumping, but costs more endurance because of the benefit of being able to hover out of range of enemies.

Most NPCs have some form of ranged attacks as well, so this point is moot.  Also, you may not get knocked back/down with Hover, but you're still being affected by them, just a different animation.  It doesn't negate the effect completely.

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Thanks 1

I love Fly.  With the sole exception of my farming Tanker, I take Fly, Hover, Afterburner, and Super Speed on every character.  I also try to work in Combat Jumping when I can. 

I use Fly and Afterburner outdoors, and Super Speed indoors. 

Fly with Afterburner is almost as fast as Super Speed, and feels better than Super Speed.  It definitely feels much better than a flight pack from the P2W vendor, that's for sure.

• Like 1