Isn't it a little bit ODD?

Marine X

I've brought up Ms. Liberty appearing in 3 or 4 places simultaneously before and recommended that maybe she should be replaced in one or two of those places.  Honestly, I think it's a serious disservice to Back Alley Brawler that he got shuffled into the SW corner of Atlas Park after Galaxy City was destroyed.  With Liberty appearing all over the place, I think he should have been given the spot in front of City Hall so she could concentrate on the Statesman Task Force in Independence Port.  As for that underground base in Atlas Park, I think she should be replaced there, also.  Then, one month out of the year (February) she can appear in two locations at once with the Pocket D Valentines Day event stuff.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2020 at 5:51 AM, Lines said:

I want to take a moment to present exhibit A: elevator paraphernalia found in the Rogue Isles

659522091_2020-08-1410_26_27-Window.thumb.png.79bff78c57e3be11d14927cef57bbb33.png

I'm on floor C2. I don't know what the letter C might refer to, but it's accurate since I've gone up one elevator. I went down the elevator and found I was on floor C1. This makes sense, though if the C refers to a section of the floor then the order should be Floor Number and then Letter: 2A, 2B, 2C, etc.

The elevator keypad here shows 8 levels, an alarm, the buttons to close and open elevator doors, and openings for what I presume is a speaker.

A few things might immediately strike you as strange. You may be wondering why there are more than 2 buttons for floors to access, even though as we all know elevators only go between one floor and another. That's strange, but keep looking and pondering and it gets even weirder.

We also see a floor directory, and it's a little strange. The directory has 22 entries. The writing is very hard to make out, but the last three numbers are something like 124, 306 and 108, in that order, which I wouldn't regard as the most intuitive order. There don't appear to be any letters in the directory, meaning that the large floor sign, the directory and the elevator buttons all use different numbering systems. It could make sense if the first digit refers to the floor, the second to perhaps a section (different section to C?) and the third to the specific office, but that leaves a lot of openings between some of the numbers shown, though the linear scuff marks imply that the board has been altered a lot (is it written in chalk???). A few names in the directory repeat themselves, including their number reference. (see left, first from the top and eighth from the top - number 500. Right, second from top and ninth from top - number 154/134). I tried to make out some names and saw words like "The" and "Legal", but I also see words starting with the letters 'Hb' and 'PQ', so I think it's mostly random typing.

But the strangest thing?

Those are the sorts of keypads that you should see inside the elevator, not outside. From outside the elevator you can close and open the doors, sound the alarm and speak to an operator. You can send the elevator wherever you like even though you're not riding the elevator yourself. To get the elevator to come to you, you must press the floor that corresponds to the level you're on, which presumably is number 2. Pressing any other numbers here would be absolutely no use to you.

I used to work in a huge skyscraper office building with multiple basement levels. One level down below ground is labelled C1, two levels down below ground is labelled C2 and so on. Never got a clear answer, but I think the C stood for "Cellar". Cellar-Level 1, 2, 3 etc.

It also looked like this, with the number pad of buttons on the outside. You type in the floor you want to go to, and the pad will tell you what elevator to stand near. (Carriage 1, 2, 3 etc.). Apparently, the reason for this was that it was power saving and a "green" option.

Edited by DrBasics

On 8/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, Player2 said:

I've brought up Ms. Liberty appearing in 3 or 4 places simultaneously before and recommended that maybe she should be replaced in one or two of those places.  Honestly, I think it's a serious disservice to Back Alley Brawler that he got shuffled into the SW corner of Atlas Park after Galaxy City was destroyed.  With Liberty appearing all over the place, I think he should have been given the spot in front of City Hall so she could concentrate on the Statesman Task Force in Independence Port.  As for that underground base in Atlas Park, I think she should be replaced there, also.  Then, one month out of the year (February) she can appear in two locations at once with the Pocket D Valentines Day event stuff.

Well I agree with you that Back Alley Brawler has been unfairly treated by Paragon City & deserves his rightful place in the sun, I think you will find a substantial portion of the playerbase would be up in arms if Ms. Liberty was removed from her training spot in Atlas Park.  For many players she is an iconic part of the game, intrinsically tied up with being the first sight that most saw on exiting the tutorial & coming into the real game for the first time.  I used BABs & Galaxy City for a good chunk of my alts, particularly those that were "down with the street" as the youngsters say (or so I am told) so I am less tied to this, & am happy to see Ms. Liberty & the game world evolve.  But a lot of players think otherwise.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

• 2 weeks later
On 8/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, Oginth said:

Anyone notices how small Praetoria ladies are?

Out of curiosity, I put my character next to a couple in People's Park.

deecopg.png

She has a regular build (she is non-athletic).

zkrbeUE.png

Her height is on par with Trina.

7FwpfW6.png

And this is her compared to Praetorian men.

I think Praetorian male citizens are kinda... huge?

edit

Ladies of the HC forum, have you ever sit in a public bench that when you lean back, your shoulder hit its backrest?

Edited by huang3721
There is something wrong with that bench. I think.
  • Like 1

I always thought it was odd that SO many people are carrying rebar or wood (whatever it is they have).

One day, I actually saw someone carrying rebar over his shoulders in the next town from where I live.  I wanted to click him to see how long I've been on patrol.

Edited by Hedgefund
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, CursedSorcerer said:

Something I always thought was weird, and this is likely due to technical limitations and/or the lack of priority, is the apparent lack of any disabled civilians in what I presume is supposed to be a densely-populated city. Even the older population doesn't seem to need to rely on walking sticks, crutches or wheelchairs.

There's a medical teleportation system that brings people back from the dead. Pretty sure they can handle a few broken limbs or cybernetic replacements.

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

There's a medical teleportation system that brings people back from the dead.

Presuming Dr. Vahzilok doesn't get to them first.  Or the Banished Pantheon.

And presuming that the teleportation grid is functioning.  And that the individual beacons are as well.

And even then, filled body bags scattered throughout missions, implying death by violent means, suggest that either there's a limit to the trauma the grid can handle, or the grid's response time is longer than a few minutes.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:20 PM, Mister Mass said:

Well I agree with you that Back Alley Brawler has been unfairly treated by Paragon City & deserves his rightful place in the sun, I think you will find a substantial portion of the playerbase would be up in arms if Ms. Liberty was removed from her training spot in Atlas Park.  For many players she is an iconic part of the game, intrinsically tied up with being the first sight that most saw on exiting the tutorial & coming into the real game for the first time.  I used BABs & Galaxy City for a good chunk of my alts, particularly those that were "down with the street" as the youngsters say (or so I am told) so I am less tied to this, & am happy to see Ms. Liberty & the game world evolve.  But a lot of players think otherwise.

Just stick a skirt on BAB.  No-one will know the difference.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, huang3721 said:

I think Praetorian male citizens are kinda... huge?

I remember being told ages ago that when the game was in beta, or originally released, or something like that, the 'scale' on the character creator was from 0' to 6' or something like that. When players asked to be able to have bigger characters, Jack simply increased the top number on the 'scale' from 6' to 8' and didn't actually adjust anything else. So, if this is true, all those 7-8' NPCs running around in-game were originally meant to be about 6' or so.

It's one of those things that bothers me a bit. Several of my toons who would be considered tall in RL (6'5"+) are often the *shortest* in missions. Especially the Council bases and whatnot as Council seems to have a high percentage of maxed-height 8' soldiers.

6 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm still bitter that we can't have fishnets, thongs and corsets for male characters.

And while the cigaretto was a nice add for the ladies, I continue to demand for proper full cigars for them!

At least you aren't forced to cover your nipples on male characters.  If you want to campaign for equality, campaign for equal nipple exposure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Luminara said:

At least you aren't forced to cover your nipples on male characters.  If you want to campaign for equality, campaign for equal nipple exposure.

Hell... I'd be happy just having the proper leather straps that males can get for my female characters. But you are , of course, correct. Let the nipples be free!

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

Odd things about chain link fences...

Have you noticed that chain link fences (the kind that go all the way to the ground, not a concrete base) that you can get shot at through them but you cannot shoot back through them?  Also on the same fences, you can run up to one, hit forward again and run through them?  Kind of cool for those shadow/stalker types, but still odd. 

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

I've noticed that, no matter how buff, how strong, how tough, how big and strong, you just cannot split Paragon power lines (oh, the number of times I've hit my head on them).

P.S. The lawn chairs are also impossible to break--pure adamantium, I hear.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:30 AM, Marine X said:

All for now, you may commence heated arguments for and against __________________ and ___________________ when ready. Thank you for your patience

did anyone mention that large number of peeps who can jump over buildings, run faster that the wind or seem to fly without wings.. everything else seems normal in context.

No, @cranebump.

It's Impervium.

Regarding the MediPort system, as I recall from a level 25'ish story arc, it wasn't for almost ten years before a public health care version was being introduced for the general population, and only for those who were at-risk (which, honestly, given Paragon City is . . . well, everyone!  But the arc, if I recall correctly, suggests that they meant those with health issues and the elderly).  Prior to 2012, only registered Heroes were able to use the MediPort system (officially and legally, anyway).

But maybe I'm not remembering correctly.  I tend to know the Redside lore more thoroughly.

Just now, FoulVileTerror said:

No, @cranebump.

It's Impervium.

Ha! I stand corrected.:-)

• Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

23 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

No, @cranebump.

It's Impervium.

Regarding the MediPort system, as I recall from a level 25'ish story arc, it wasn't for almost ten years before a public health care version was being introduced for the general population, and only for those who were at-risk (which, honestly, given Paragon City is . . . well, everyone!  But the arc, if I recall correctly, suggests that they meant those with health issues and the elderly).  Prior to 2012, only registered Heroes were able to use the MediPort system (officially and legally, anyway).

But maybe I'm not remembering correctly.  I tend to know the Redside lore more thoroughly.

You're remembering correctly.  The arc is from Roy Cooling.

• Thanks 1