Super Group not scaling with members

RogerWilco

So, me and my friends are all in a single SG.

And we're slowly getting more friends to join the game.

We currently have 3 very active members, but those are now using all the available storage in the SG base.

A 4th guy is really getting into the game, but that is making base storage a pain.

We're also getting to be higher level, so salvage and enhancements are getting more and more varied.

Salvage and enhancement storage in the base is by far the easiest way to swap stuff between alts.

We would like to keep one SG base, as it is fun running into each other while crafting and slotting with alts and such.

We each have our own chambers, and also communal areas, a villain hide-out, the hero club, and a praetorian area.

Having all in one base makes it feel alive, and we can help each other and feel like a group/team.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

A lot of people swear by using the auction house instead of storage.  And, regretfully, the game really is stacked in favour of that methodology right now.

I'd certainly like to see improvements to storage and sharing as well, rather than needing multiple Groups with multiple bases, with specific codified storage to meet the needs of a single group of players, or even just a single prolific player . . . WITHOUT ever needing to even -look- at the auction house.  But, alas, it seems the current philosophy is that the auction house is not optional for experiencing the full range of content.

My group of friends was in the same situation. A solution we explored was to create personal SGs that were in a coalition with the main SG. Coupled with enterfrompasscode mainSG as default, and you only use your own personal base to store stuff.

It adds overhead, and it makes passively sharing stuff more complicated. Would be nice to see limits raised, if it doesn't cause instability. I'd happily pay for it - give us inf sinks we can sink our teeth into.

• Like 5

It would be nice if in the future the devs are able to increase the base storage values and/or allow the SG leaders to open access of storage to coalition members.  Personally, I just sell everything.  Inf is transferable easily so it is way faster and easier to just send a new alt 1 bil than to bother trying to keep all the salvage, recipes, and IOs that I may want in either a personal base or even the SG storage we've put in our main bases.  I just buy whatever the new character needs as I level.  Sometimes it leads to a bit of frustration when a particular set item isn't available on the AH at a price I'm willing to spend but then I figure I just buy a different version and convert to the one I want.

• Like 1

Don't store yellow or white salvage.  It's so cheap that it's always easier to sell what you have and buy what you need on the market.  Even at "buy now" prices, commons are rarely over 600 and uncommons are rarely over 1,800.  

Store oranges if you want, but I always find we never have what I need in the racks and have to buy from the market anyway.  

That will free up a bunch of racks for more enhancement space.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Omega-202 said:

Don't store yellow or white salvage.  It's so cheap that it's always easier to sell what you have and buy what you need on the market.

This is sound advice.  Recipes and even most crafted IOs are not super expensive either.  With that said, I would love to see an account bank accessible to all characters on an account. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

With that said, I would love to see an account bank accessible to all characters on an account.

SWTOR has this. Incredibly useful.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

We currently have 3 very active members, but those are now using all the available storage in the SG base.

A 4th guy is really getting into the game, but that is making base storage a pain.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

Three things that really helped me were to:

- scale back the scope of what I stored & crafted

- have my characters stash certain types of salvage in their own personal vaults

- dedicate one character to craft everything to get all common recipes memorized

This is how I have my enh storage containers allocated:

- I keep two containers for level 25 crafted common IOs (Accuracy, Damage, Recharge, Endurance Reduction then the other holds the other various types)

- one container for level 35 IOs

- two containers for level 50 crafted common IOs (Acc/Dam/End/Rech + others)

- one container for Hamidon, Overwhelming Force, purple set IOs

- one container for other crafted sets that are useful or provide a global or proc

Then the rest of the containers are allocated for salvage storage:

- two for rares (roughly no more than 5 of any one type)

- two for uncommons (roughly no more than 5 of any one type)

- seven (iirc) for commons (no more than 20 of any one type)

What this does is bring into focus what types of salvage are of value since you only craft in bulk at 25, 35 & 50. Once you see the pattern emerge you can safely just sell off salvage that you don't ever use. Then for things like yellow/orange/purple recipes you will have some salvage on hand or can easily purchase from the Auction House. You can still hoard salvage on characters in their personal vaults if you want (just more overhead on your part). 

A lot of people also create Mule Alts on a 2nd account so that they can fire it up and trade. Maybe make one alt for each type or something like that? I forget the character maximums, so I'm not sure if it would be better to do that or just dump a bunch of stuff on several.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Here's a suggestion.
What I've done is make an alt account and create a character called Base Storage Manager. He hangs out in my own personal SG. 

My alt that's in another SG gets a bit frustrated with not having its own storage space, so I just hand the stuff to the character in my personal base, and then go grab it when it's time to craft. (and also grab salvage needed from my personal base if needed)
Yes, it can get a bit tedious if you're going for crafting badges. But other than that..it's been helpful. 

As others have said, and to which I agree, storing and holding C/UC salvage is generally not worth the space as they’re cheap and easily obtained for little cost. For Rare salvage what I would suggest be a rule of thumb is that if the piece in need is not in storage, find a piece that’s got the highest stored volume and sell one off to fund/offset the needed piece. This will help manage the inventory being used and make sure unneeded salvage does not build up.

If you’re running in to capacity issues over enhancements, same rule of thumb: keep the commonly needed items like a few end reduction, end mod, and recharge IOs, and then only focus on sets that are commonly popular and have a range that goes from 20-40 or 25-50 for maximum utility. Toss out all the other generally unwanted stuff, or create a bin or two of “junk” enhancements that people can use to frankenslot while leveling, but also have the rule be that if someone wants to use converters to lottery those pieces into better items than go for it.

4 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

And then there's stuff like this:

image.thumb.png.b45679bb226a3d50a3b998ba6ba00d68.png

Not displayed are the characters who store Set IOs and ATOs; those tend to just be characters I play who happen to have space in their bases.

That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Not displayed are the characters who store Set IOs and ATOs; those tend to just be characters I play who happen to have space in their bases.

VT...that's exactly why I dont craft!  I ain't jumping down that rabbit hole 😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

That is an almost magical combination of efficiency and inefficiency.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

As people have said, make a point of clearing out what can be easily bought through auction. Just keep the *really* rare stuff, and get away from holding onto stuff "just in case."

If you find yourself hoarding stuff irl, then just be consciously aware of what you're doing.

10 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Naturally this is a special code to confuse people, and "Rare Arcane" holds only Common Tech salvage, right?

I do like keeping one or two of each common and uncommon salvage in the base, just because sometimes you get that drop that is worth crafting on the fly and posting on the market (a Thunderstrike, or Red Fortune, etc.).  You can't access the AH from inside a base, so it saves having to exit, buy it, and reenter.  2 bins is enough for that, and I use leftover space to drop in converters from various characters who accumulate them to pass to the character who does the converting/marketing.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 9/23/2020 at 6:22 AM, FoulVileTerror said:

This seems to be the best solution presented so far.

We do not want separate Super Group bases. We want to be in one Super Group, what's the point of a Super Group otherwise?

None of the offered suggestions and solutions scale with the number of active players in the Super Group, except for this one, especially now that we can make 1000 alts.

Edt: I don't want to sound mean to people, I do appraciate all the answers. It's getting a bit late here, and then I tend to be more cranky in my responses.

We have already scaled back to about 1 enhancement storage and 3 salvage storage per player, to accomodate 4 players in the Super Group. Our group might soon grow by a few more.

We are still quite low level (33 is highest level) and crafting is the main way we make money. We can't afford to not store things and use the AH instead for quite a few things that people suggest.

The main reason we need storage is to pool the salvage and enhancements that are gathered on all characters, and use those to craft and equip the other characters. Doing the recepies by mail is already a major pain, if we would also need to do salvage and enhancements by mail it would be very inconvenient.

We don't want to hoard. We just want the Super Group storage to scale with the number of members it has.

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png