The Most Basics

unblocked

Literally everyone around here knows that inv/SS is the most basic, most standard, most cliche of tanker possibilities. It doesn't get more basic than that. Therefore there should logically be the most basic combos for other archetypes too. What're those? What would a hypothetical utter noob starting out today would think to make when looking at character creation screens? I know y'all are this game's vets around here but try to discard all that gamer knowhow for a post or two.

Stalker is obviously full ninja, that's as given as the basic tanker. I'm thinking blaster would most likely be fire/fire. Mastermind would clearly have robots as a comicbookman, and either traps or FF to go with it. The most basic scrapper will probably be claw/regen for obvious reasons, though I can see arguments for any weapon/willpower too. Dominator has got to be mind/psi, there's no other choice there, but I'm totally stumped at controller. Corruptor is clearly the name of a terribad, nogood, sicknasty evil thing so dark/dark gotta be the most basic combo from first glance. I don't know what brute should be but I know what it shouldn't: spine/fire. Maybe be lazylame and go with SS/inv? Meanwhile defender is just busted on a conceptual level, it can be literally anything.

Have list, post list.

Tanker: inv/SS

Scrapper: claw/regen

Blaster: fire/fire

Defender: emp?!?/?

Controller: ??

Brute: SS/inv

Stalker: ninja/ninja

Mastermind: robot/trap

Corruptor: dark/dark

Dominator: mind/psi

I pretty much consider every Blaster primary to be comic book staples but if you want iconic then Energy blast is definitely a go to.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I would think that force field would be a basic part of the most basic defender package.  Mind control or plant control would be the most basic controller. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Controllers: I see a lot of people pairing Gravity/Time, but I honestly think Gravity/Kinetics is the basic pairing that demonstrates 'mastery over the forces of nature (and all who obey those laws)'.

For both Controllers and Dominators: If there is a single pool power that screams 'I AM YOUR MASTER' I would nominate using Hover (or even better Group Fly) to slowly progress through mission maps as you lock down enemy after enemy as you (appropriately) look down upon them all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unblocked said:

Literally everyone around here knows that inv/SS is the most basic, most standard, most cliche of tanker possibilities.

Sadly the above quote discounts the rest of your post..  just fyi "literally everyone" does not equal "in my opinion"

Willpower could be considered more basic than Invulnerability.

Battle Ax could be considered more basic than Super Strength.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Troo said:

Sadly the above quote discounts the rest of your post..  just fyi "literally everyone" does not equal "in my opinion"

Willpower could be considered more basic than Invulnerability.

Battle Ax could be considered more basic than Super Strength.

Willpower is a decent runner-up to invulnerability to represent being super-tough, the quintessential tank power. But why an axe over simply being super strong?

8 hours ago, tidge said:

Controllers: I see a lot of people pairing Gravity/Time, but I honestly think Gravity/Kinetics is the basic pairing that demonstrates 'mastery over the forces of nature (and all who obey those laws)'.

For both Controllers and Dominators: If there is a single pool power that screams 'I AM YOUR MASTER' I would nominate using Hover (or even better Group Fly) to slowly progress through mission maps as you lock down enemy after enemy as you (appropriately) look down upon them all.

Seconding Grav/Kin as the basic noob Controller, because that was the first thing I rolled when *I* was a noob. 

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

8 hours ago, Blastit said:

Willpower is a decent runner-up to invulnerability to represent being super-tough, the quintessential tank power. But why an axe over simply being super strong?

No Rage crash to deal with.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

14 minutes ago, Troo said:

No Rage crash to deal with.

We're not talking about game mechanics. You can play SS without Rage. I think the OP is going for what do you see the most of in Super Hero fiction. Superman: SS and Inv. Luke Cage: SS or StJ and Inv. The Thing: SS and Inv. The Hulk: SS and Inv or arguably WP.

That kinda thing. I don't see a lotta axe wielders in comics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

debut of Superman in 1938? the Phantom 1936?

Heroes have been around much, much longer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects#Axes

but I digress.. Axe could be considered "is the most basic,"

33 minutes ago, Troo said:

debut of Superman in 1938? the Phantom 1936?

Heroes have been around much, much longer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects#Axes

but I digress.. Axe could be considered "is the most basic,"

The two most well-known mythical weapons are Excalibur and Mjiolnir. Name an Axe without resorting to a Google search.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Characters I'd think of as "Tanks" I'd probably associate with Invuln - good examples above by others.  The literally "Bulletproof" types.

Brutes, I think of more as "Willpower" types.  Taking 3 bullets to their left arm hasn't stopped them from beating the shooter senseless with the right.  Like Punisher when he's in melee. Yes, the weapons training isn't really very Brutish, but arguably his hand to hand fits the bill.  So, yeah..

Tank: Invuln/SS

Brute: StJ/WP

Hard to argue with the scrapper choice; Claws/Regen is one of the original Originals for reasons that need to be elaborated upon. 😄

Defenders/Controllers - lots of cold/weather types tend to fill this narrative role.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On Live I remember the Over population of Illusion / Kinetic or Illusion / Empathy Controllers, especially before Masterminds became a thing. Illusionists in comics are actually a pretty common thing and from all backgrounds: Loki, Mysterio, Dr. Strange, Mastermind, Mirage, Enchantress and on and on. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around "most basic". Judging from your list, it alludes to most popular, maybe? Is it first thing you think of when you think of the archetype, or is it the easiest power set combo for a particular AT? It may also be you're referring to existing characters and force-fitting the ATs in place of their abilities. (Inv/SS screams Kryptonian to me).

In any case, my interpretation of it are listed below. My upbringing and previous MMORPG experience tend to show themselves.

Tanker: Shield Defence/Sword. When I think of a tank, it's a heavily armoured and often shielded character who can take punishment so the team doesn't have to.

Blaster: Energy Blast/Devices. Things get blasted, things go boom.
Defender: Force Field/Dual Pistols. FF is the first line of defence, DP is the last--doesn't pack a punch, but doesn't hesitate to get up close and nitty gritty. 

Controller: element/element. I think any of the elemental powers fit the bill (elec, fire, ice, etc.). For me, this translates to something like a Bender from Avatar.

Stalker: claws/ninjitsu. The quintessential assassin. I only went with claws because they retract and would normally be invisible until the last moment.

Mastermind: Thugs, Ninjas or Mercenaries/Traps. MM connotes someone who plans things and sends cronies to do his dirty work. the others fall under Overlord or something else not exactly mastermind.

Corruptor: Dark Blast/Poison. Not too thematic, but both on their own just defines corruption to me.

Dominator: Mind Control/Psionic Assault. I agree with Mind--it has Dominate as a power after all; Psionic, not so much, but it does fit thematically.
Sentinel: Beam Rifle/Willpower. I'm thinking guard duty with nothing more than sheer determination.
Brutes and Scrappers are the two I really had to pour some thought into. While quite similar, Brute comes across to me as one of pure brawn so I relegate melee attacks to him, while Scrapper is someone who will not hesitate to jump in and join the fray with little care for their own well-being. I delegate weapon attacks to scrappers... just something my brain does to keep order. So...
Brute: Savage or Street Justice/Regeneration. He can dish it out and he can take it.
Scrapper: Dual Blades/Super Reflexes. Taking a knife to a gun fight, he'll definitely need to be quick on his feet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

The two most well-known mythical weapons are Excalibur and Mjiolnir. Name an Axe without resorting to a Google search.

Recently pop culture Storm Breaker..

Actually I do think Thor had an axe before a hammer, maybe it was an axe-hammer. Regardless the point was that Battle Axe could be the "most basic" tank set.

• Like 1