Suggestions for a father/daugther duo

Ejlertson

Hi

I'm trying to get my daughter to team up with me and give CoH a chance.

The plan is to let me be a Tank and keep her alive while she is a Blaster.

So best Tank for such an endeavour?

Preferably with some Single Target damage output. 

• Like 2

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

Having a tank for a duo is overkill, so any tank armor set will be fine.  If you want to bring extra damage, you could go fire/fire.  Sure, fire is the weakest armor set but it's plenty tough for a team of two.

You might want to see what kind of blaster she wants to play and then pick a damage set with a different type of damage so you don't end up doing the Synapse TF with both of you doing lethal damage.

• Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

What I think I'd do is let her pick out what type of char she wants and powers, and base your character off of that.  Most tanks will be fine (like was said, take taunt ASAP).  You can do the classic Inv/SS tank though because that will work with almost anything she chooses theme wise.

• Like 1

Or brute, with a support like defender or corrupter so they still have range attacks.  You won't need taunt to bring the enemies, they won't know what hits them as you come to them.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Mr.CD and I used to duo his Fire/Energy Blaster (who was more of a Blapper in play-style) with my Willpower/Dual Blade Tank (who was built to be more like a heavy Scrap than a tank-proper). They were great fun together. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

When the game first came out, I made a martial arts/invuln scrapper.  My friend made an energy/energy blaster.  It was not a good pairing and he laughed every time he knocked something back and I had to run after it, kick, run after it again.  I need to pick better friends.

Regards,

Dave

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

Hi

I tried this because I really wanted my daughter to enjoy this game.  I let her create many toons. I let her pick any combo ultimately I failed which is why my interest wanes from this game. I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did. If you do please tell me how you did it.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nafsmar said:

I tried this because I really wanted my daughter to enjoy this game.  I let her create many toons. I let her pick any combo ultimately I failed which is why my interest wanes from this game. I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did. If you do please tell me how you did it.

You didn't fail. It just wasn't her interest. 

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

Personally I wouldn't worry over much about picking just the 'right' pairing.  1) It is CoX, our tagline is no team 'needs' anything.  2) Getting defeated in game should be a learning experience, "don't do that again" and "it's temporary, try, try again" being at least 2 of the most basic lessons at least. 3) if all else fails faceplant gracefully out of sight and aggro range ... play another blaster 😁

Alternately, she could help you.

If her playing really helped you then maybe that would increase interest initially and then go from there.

If the costume generator doesn't get them interested, it may not be for them. (think Steve Jobs and the early Apple computer showing his 'daughter' the paint program and then letting the kid drive)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 hours ago, Troo said:

Alternately, she could help you.

If her playing really helped you then maybe that would increase interest initially and then go from there.

Using this logic, perhaps if she were a Corrupter instead would be beneficial.  Corrupters still deal damage, not quite as much as a Blaster mind you, but she would also have the Support powerset to help keep you alive, make you both stronger, and make foes easier to defeat.  It might be a bit more difficult juggling support powers instead of full-on damage focus, but the two of you would still make for a great team like this and if she enjoys supporting you it would certainly heighten her interest and possibly keep her playing.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I'm sure she's seen superheroes in the media by now so ask her what some of her favorites are and if she'd like to try making a character like them in the game. If she sees something else while she's playing then she can always try that too.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Radiation Armor/Katana Tank. Gather them with Dragon's Roar. Cycle Divine Avalanche when it comes up.  

Water Blast/Atomic Manipulation Blaster. Use the knockdown to keep the mobs gathered on the corners. Blast away and self heal as needed. 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, fitzsimmons said:

When the game first came out, I made a martial arts/invuln scrapper.  My friend made an energy/energy blaster.  It was not a good pairing and he laughed every time he knocked something back and I had to run after it, kick, run after it again.  I need to pick better friends.

This caused me to flash on Peter Schickele's monologue about his "Unbegun Symphony" (it only has a third and fourth movement, because he was born too late to write the first two movements): 'Now, it used to be called the “Pathetic” Symphony. Now these names, as you may know—like the “Jupiter” Symphony, and the “Eroica” Symphony—are usually not given by the composers, they’re given by friends, or the musicians, and stuff… and this name, “The Pathetic Symphony”, was given to my piece by some of my old friends. Well, I have a new set of friends now, and we’re calling it “The Unbegun Symphony”.'

I duo a lot, and I'd say that my most fun Blaster duo was a Dual Pistols/Martial Combat Blaster with a Thermal/Sonic Defender.  DP/MC is a ridiculously fun combo anyway, and the Defender buffs and debuffs make it absolutely godly: no mez, 50% damage buff all the time, shields, lots of debuff for EBs and AVs, all excellent stuff.  You'll have some good heals backing up the shields for when things go pear-shaped, and you'll both be very busy and having fun.  It also keeps the Blaster out in front kicking ass and taking names, rather than having a Tank or Scrapper out in front and the Blaster tagging along behind.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I second a dual pistols/martial combat blaster. It is the most fun combo in my opinion. I also think you two might have more fun if you play a corruptor or defender to support your daughter.  You can both play at the same range and the support can buff/debuff.

That said, if you want to do tank I think just about any tank will work. My personal favorites are energy melee / shield and super strength rad. Keep in mind energy melee is getting fairly significant buffs in once the beta patch goes live. 

On 10/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Ejlertson said:

Hi

Coming in late to the discussion, but if you've not chosen yet, I'm going to assume you named exactly what you're after, and I won't try to convince you to play something else.  *Glares at others*  :classic_angry: :classic_biggrin:

For survivability, it may be a bit "vanilla" but Invulnerability works best for my tanks. I've also had good success with Willpower (admittedly a long time ago) and Shield.

For attack, Street Justice is just beautiful for those in melee range.  If you're needing a range strike for that "Single Target", radiation has a short range strike with...proton sweep...I think it is. It also has some decent AoE (at least from my experience).  Also there's claws, which I've not played in a decade, but I believe there's a single target range strike with it as well.  My other choice, no range that I recall, is War Mace.  There's just something very satisfying about the single target hit effects.  For any other single target range strike, I just keep my Nemesis Staff and magic staff from P2W vendor handy.

I'd add that if she chooses to play an Ice blaster, her survivability might go up, as the power will slow or freeze opponents.

Edited by Techwright

I am wholeheartedly rooting for you to succeed here. Know that I went to great lengths to get my daughter to enjoy this game the way I do, even spending a month creating a Ladybug (from the Miraculous Ladybug Netflix cartoon) themed AE 5 mission arc which to my dismay she never played :(. Spending time with your child is so valuable that a good caring parent will do anything they can to make it happen. So Kudos to you and good luck.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 2:40 AM, Ejlertson said:

Thank you for all the replies.

We havent gotten started yet, but I settled on a Willpower/War Mace Tank.
She will run a Fire/Fire blaster. 

Love fire/fire!  If I can make one recommendation, she might consider pacing her attacks.  I found out the hard way that fire played ferociously can overwhelm the tank's aggro control pretty quickly.  I ended up building a flyer so that he'd have a 3D way of mitigating melee damage, at least, if he pushed too hard.

• Like 1

i really like the water/energy combo for blaster.  the energy knockback and utility powers seem to enhance survivability and complement the water attacks (which does include a heal-over-time.)

don't forget to change the color of the water power set to yellow/white to truly get across the message as to what you're doing to the targets.