Things I Learned the Hard Way

Shocktacular

As per late-night discussion on Indom, I'm (finally) starting this thread to share CoX mistakes in the hopes that others will learn from them (and that we can at least get a few laughs out of them).

Here are a few of mine to get started:

• Don't put Self Destruct next to your "panic button" power. 

Fortunately I was soloing when I learned this the hard way, but I've had friends do it in groups sometimes.... Yeah, not my proudest moment.

• Hitting Secondary Mutation in the middle of a fight is a HUGE gamble.

I swear, I'm at least 5 times as likely to get monkeyed if I do this than if I wait until after the mob's down.

• Don't use Enhancement Catalysts on purple (very rare) IOs or PvP IOs.

This only keeps you from being able to use boosters on them.  The set bonuses will stay with you even when you exemp down, so just boost them instead.

What have YOU learned the hard way?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

There's a customisation option for pretty much everything in the interface if you look hard enough. I'm sharing my playtime between a desktop at 1680x1050 and a laptop at 1280x800. My windows get jumbled up from these resolution changes. I have been manually dragging every single window on every single character back and forth - until I realised just a few days ago there was an option to save window placement locally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shred Monkey said:

Employee surveys are NOT your chance to safely and anonymously give your honest opinions. 

I worked for a company that decided to get every employees opinions one year 

They made a big deal about it being anonymous, even though you had to log in to complete it.

Once the deadline started closing in, they started contacting the employees who had not filled it out - wasn't so anonymous after all

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Employee surveys are NOT your chance to safely and anonymously give your honest opinions. 

They especially do not like it when you click the box "Choose not to answer."  In meetings I've heard people say that it skews the results and shouldn't be used. I always wonder why they put it there. 

As my late father, a union rep for some years, once commented, Company loyalty tends to only go one way, their way.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

6 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

• Don't use Enhancement Catalysts on purple (very rare) IOs or PvP IOs.

This only keeps you from being able to use boosters on them.  The set bonuses will stay with you even when you exemp down, so just boost them instead.

Well I do Catalyze the heal, res, and def, procs that I get at lvl 50 and put them in my base for my alts to be able to use them as they lvl up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That many people cannot seperate the ideas they have from thier own self-esteem.

Many cannot hear thier ideas get torn apart, without taking it as in insult on thier personal character.

Great minds have bad ideas all the time.

Nice people have bad ideas all the time.

I have learned the hard way, plenty of people think I am attacking them when I am just challenging an idea/opinion/POV...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

That many people cannot seperate the ideas they have from thier own self-esteem.

Many cannot hear thier ideas get torn apart, without taking it as in insult on thier personal character.

Great minds have bad ideas all the time.

Nice people have bad ideas all the time.

I have learned the hard way, plenty of people think I am attacking them when I am just challenging an idea/opinion/POV...

How could you say such a thing?!  AAAH!  (runs off sobbing)

• Haha 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

6 minutes ago, Sakai said:

Does that work on Purples?

No. Purples have a minimum level to slot of 50. Attuning doesn't change this and makes it so you can't boost them anymore. Base stats also decrease on a sliding scale for attuned pieces as you go down in level from exemplaring. Non-attuned just hit flat enhancement ceiling around levels 30, 20, 15, etc. Attuning Purples is bad.

PvP's exist all the way down to level 10, so you can slot attuned versions as low as level 7.

I'll occasionally burn a catalyst on some 30-49 PvP pieces and convert them for use. They're nice to have for leveling, and anything in that level range would have just been sold on the AH anyway.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

To not buy rare or very rare incarnate salvage. So many tabs in the incarnate management windows...I never thought to click on Emp Merit rare or very rare tabs to use 8 or 30 emp merits for the respective pieces of incarnate salvage. 

I didn't screw up and buy the very rare once, mind you - but twice before someone told me of my mistake - just by happenstance. I wasn't even smart enough to pose the question, just happened to read someone else's question in the help channel and saw the answer. I can laugh now...but last year, 100 million was a LOT. I even sent a petition because I had no idea where my inf went. I never even noticed there was a cost! I just had the rares, but needed a very rare, and clicked the button to get it. 

Lusca doesn't want a hug.

Cyclopes go commando.

Look at the health bar.

Travel powers aren't necessary.

Let the spawn move away before using an Awaken.

Inspirations drop frequently.

The mechanics.

Look at the damn health bar.

Melee isn't scary.

Swan dives from skyscrapers are best done when the spawns below are -10, not +5.

Turn off Sprint.

Co* is better than WoW.

HEALTH.  BAR.  LOOK.  AT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Careful placing procs in powers which don't cause aggro (i.e. don't notify the foe.) Such as Smoke.  You may end up "notifying the mob".  

Similar to the OPs don't place the self destruct button next to 'panic' buttons.  Careful where you remap your keybinds.  I rebound 'r' for autorun to 'p' and did the predictable when in chat I suggested 'pulling a foe'.

PS: The proc in question in Smoke wasn't a damage proc either, but it still caused aggro.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

The tissue on the inside of your kneecap can fall asleep.

Seriously, Emmy, who keeps tissues in their kneecaps?  Use a box like everyone else.  Then it'll be cozy and amongst its own kind when it falls asleep.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

11 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

Don't put Self Destruct next to your "panic button" power anywhere you could accidentally click it.

(Honestly, Self Destruct is probably best left on the P2W menu. You can use it on a Master task force run, or at least it's not grayed out. I can't imagine that would end well for you, even ignoring the "you blowing up" part.)

- Unbind R from autorun.

- Just because you can run into melee and grab everyone's attention doesn't make it a good idea. Tanks, fine. Lowbie blasters, ouch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1