‘I forgot how good this character was!!’

CaptTastic

Does anyone else ever find themselves so focused on making new characters they forget how good older ones are?

Fired up my Fire/NRG blaster today for first time in a months and was almost blown away by how powerful he was. I mean, he’s fully T4’d, has 44 veteran levels and 3000 reward merits, so I obviously played him a hell of a lot once upon a time. Feel bad for neglecting him recently now! 

Sure I’m not the only one this happens too, so what are your lost hidden gems lurking along your alts? 

This happened to me when I was rolling through characters when I first found CoH was back as Homecoming.  I quickly made a SS/Invul main, using a Hyperstrike build.  But I could not stop alting.  One day a player and i got discussing our alts.  I was talking up various ones.  THey wanted to see my Dark/Dark Brute in action.  I loaded up a farm and in we went.  Honestly, I was more impressed than they were.  I knew it was good.  But the more I looked at it from the "fresh perspective" of what I was showing the more impressed I became.

Dark has no inherent defense.  It has no defense debuff resistance.  It has EVERYTHING else.  It has stealth.  It has a damage aura.  It has two mezze auras.  It has resists that get very solid with i/o and perhaps benefit the most from things like Hybrid Melee and Rune of Protection (or even an orange) by hitting caps across the board (except toxic, mine sits at around 50% cold.  and sigh, my Energy is only about 55% w/o boosts.  Cannot have everything I suppose) It has one of the best heals in the game.  It synergizes with dark/dark so well it is insane.  Hand in glove.  Dark Melee's Soul Drain is a 30 sec buff that is one of the longest in the game.  With high recharge it is near perma.  The thing is a murder machine.  Not the fastest killer in the game, I have a SS/Fire that is stupid fast.  But try stealthing to a target with Fire Armor (I dont even turn off my damage aura when stealthing with Dark, I am gone before they react to any hits....when I get to my target area I hit Soul Drain and start the party)

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

Leveling up a Merc/Poison MM, struggling and tired of recalling dead soldiers, then go to my 50 Beast/Nature MM and never have to resummon anything.

• Like 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Fire/Ice Melee tanker. Made it in the past, found it pretty damn good, posted about it. Then I moved on to the next thing.

Now that I am trying leveling through arcs and finding myself in the same low level bracket for a good while I have 'rediscovered' that combo and how nicely it plays freezing and melting things with a decent AoE (Frost is one of the few cones I am happy about), Build-up, -and- Burn, all available by level 18 so that I can tackle those really early arcs.

1 minute ago, DougGraves said:

I made an ice melee tanker to try out the ice patch  and was impressed with how good frost was. 

Come for Ice Patch, stay for Frost (and Freezing Touch). I re-made a new build for the Fire/Ice tightening things and even ditched Frozen Aura (I don't like it. I don't know why I don't like it. The numbers are similar, animation time is similar, but I don't like it and dat it) and I'm re-leveling a new character with it.

Instead of, you know, respec the old Fire/Ice... but that's crazy talk.

<_< 

>_>

7 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Instead of, you know, respec the old Fire/Ice... but that's crazy talk.

I am actually respecing some things instead of just remaking them.  I am finding it very odd.  But I have invested 10 million inf in TT so I actually somewhat care.  I used to just delete and restart characters constantly.

My OCD requires me to perfectly balance my heroes against my villains and figure out who is which one's nemesis and how a "Final Showdown" would play out among all my alts. And the Goldsiders have to be a smaller subset that I figure out which one will side with who when S**t Gets Real.

And I can't Ding lvl 2 on any character without a 900+ character backstory. 

So I only have like 40 characters right now, not the hundreds that some have. 

Still, yes.  I'll have weeks where I'm focusing my way through First Ward on a Blaster and finally finishing the Infiltrate the Asylum mission and being "GOD that was rough!", and then I'll kick back and fire up the lvl 50 Plant/Psi Dominator and just BWAHAHAHA as entire battalions of Longbow fall before her.  Or I'll fire up the Claws/SR and hum "cant touch this" as she dances through packs of Malta and Carnies.

Probably the biggest, "okay, this character has arrived!" though, was the Invulnerable/SS tanker, lvl 36.  I picked him back up after a month of tooling around on Corruptors and MM's.   And then had him solo Defend The Midnight Mansion, Night Ward, on +2x4 with Bosses. No Footstomp yet. Just single target punches. And He just DON'T DIE. Like "nothing of this world can harm him." The final fight, he had 4-5 EB's on him at once, and while he had to be careful to hit-and-fade out of their charge-up-PBAE attacks, he mopped them ALL up.  All by himself, all alone.  Okay, I said after that, You Has Graduated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I am actually respecing some things instead of just remaking them.  I am finding it very odd.  But I have invested 10 million inf in TT so I actually somewhat care.  I used to just delete and restart characters constantly.

My money has been sinking with all my alts taking TT and the new teleport that also costs 10 mill. Then I put them to the side. Good inf sink. Even earning money back it's still an average of 25 mill ish per character between all the teleports, the travel powers, the ressurect and etc.

Too many of my alts started as experiments, like I never made a X-Primary and I'll pair it with a never tried Y-Secondary. To see if I like one or the other, or both.

Fast forward to lvl 20s-30s, they're good Sets but the AT isn't a good fit.

So it's not a matter of a respec but more like rebuild, but for now "neglected".

My Water/Storm Corruptor I honestly neglected. She's a blast!

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Every now and then I pull out an old character, usually looking for money to hand to my current project, and I find some of my old builds are quality murder machines.  Special mention to my Archery/EM Blaster who easily mows everything down from a mile away with range boosted RoA, FoA and Mace Beam Volley.  Fun fact, if you fire off RoA you can queue up a Ranged Shot before it becomes a quick snipe and get full damage while the arrows rain down.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I sometimes forget what having good damage is like if I've spent a lot of time on my support characters or Sents and then bounce back to a Stalker or Scrap.

There's almost always that moment of "Holy crap. I just stabbed that one into next week!"... followed quickly by "Well, yeah. Build-up. Assassin's Strike. Character built for damage. That's what's SUPPOSED to happen." 😝

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I sometimes forget what having good damage is like if I've spent a lot of time on my support characters or Sents and then bounce back to a Stalker or Scrap.

There's almost always that moment of "Holy crap. I just stabbed that one into next week!"... followed quickly by "Well, yeah. Build-up. Assassin's Strike. Character built for damage. That's what's SUPPOSED to happen." 😝

Yea.  I love my Fire/Fire/Fire Sentinel.  Conceptually, he's a being of living steel and fire. Very tough. Can hurl fire or just burn in place. Is the Doctor Doom of my entire villain lineup. 

But umm... yea.  There is a definite difference. The Fire Cubed Sentinel can clear any map that my Spines/Regen stalker can clear. But not nearly as fast. 

I still like Sents, but it's one of those "go into it eyes open" things.

Our SG has a recurring event called Bring Out Yer Dead, where people can take one of their long-abandoned characters out for a spin. It works well - you either get reminded of how good the character is or you get a brief, nostalgic enjoyment of the character before placing it back into mothballs. Well, that or you get confirmed in your earlier decision to shelve that character. Either way, something good comes out of it, and you have Fun With Friends(tm) as a significant side benefit.

• Like 5

I pulled my vet lvl 36 Rad/Dark corruptor out after a long hiatus. Ran through a DA arc and a TinPex. What a beast!

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

OK, confession time: I've been a fan of a certain strange ex-surgeon since stainless Steve Englehart and fabulous Frank Brunner's classic run in the 70s.

(Then I went back and discovered reprints of the Ditko/Lee run, and was hooked for life.)

So one Halloween I went through the available powersets and picked everything I could see that fit the character, for an homage. Ill/Rad was what I eventually came up with. (This was before it became FOTM, honest!)

There was also an amazing Roger Stern run, crowned with a 1-issue collaboration with Michael Golden, which included a hilarious reference to a popular movie series starring the good doctor. Oh, how we laughed!

When HC arrived and I was once again home, I had been through the fun-house mirror and actually watched a really good film starring guess who! This included a new take on his powers, so I recreated him as an Illusion/Time controller. He was fun!

Recently, I rolled an old school Ill/Rad version. And was blown completely out of my tights! Heals that hit more than a couple teammates! Debuffs you can feel!

Anyway, it was all entirely too much fun, and I'm very glad I resurrected him!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Yes.  This happens to me.  After giving it some thought, I believe the problem is having to spend time at work instead of being able to play 12 hours a day.  The problem is DEFINITELY NOT my alt-itis.  I'm fine.  I have it under control.  There's nothing to see here...

• Haha 2

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)