Been wanting to say this for a while now...

KauaiJim

I am usually mostly a 'forum lurker' especially in most mmo's anymore.  I pop in to keep my fingers on the pulse of what is going on and look up things I need answers to.  But posting on a lot of forums feels a lot like volunteering to be the target at a shooting range.  Some forums you can't say so much as 'hi' without someone eagerly wanting to debate or challenge your concept of reality.

Not so here.  These forums, the HC team, this community - ALL OF YOU - you are all wonderful.  Lately I've been downright 'chatty' and enjoying myself and thinking, "Wow, this is a really well behaved, mature, respectful, intelligent, diverse and considerate community."

So, I have no idea what is prompting me to go all full cheesy here but I really do want to say thank you to the HC team AND this community!  You guys are great.  There is a true camaraderie here.  IMO this may be the BEST mmo community I have ever had the privilege of being part of.

... and to any other 'hermit crabs' out there - I think this is a safe place to 'come out of your shell' if you are feeling compelled to jump in and become an active community member or even just toss in your '2 cents' here and there.  

If there was a ranking scale for forums this place gets a 12 (out of 1-10, lol)!

So thank all of you for making this place such a nice place for everyone.  You folks are the best.  💗

(sorry to any of you who dislike these kinds of posts - I just really had to say it)

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Yes, the CoH community seems to be one of the least toxic I have ever been a part of, even back on live.

Somehow this game attracts some really nice people.

• Like 3

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

It helps that the game doesn't require super advanced coordination, or waste your time as a punishment. Lot less at stake, far less reason to start going for each others throat for the smallest mistake. If you screw up on a team and wipe, you usually get two "my bads" at least one "Cooldown/animation was too long D:" and plenty of "Need a wakie?"

• Like 6

9 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

Somehow this game attracts some really nice people.

I mean, obligatory MCU Civil War memes aside, superheroes are at least traditionally working together more often than they're at each others throats.

Not saying doens't happen in comics,  just that it's a lot more common for them to work either together against an enemy, or alone. 

Maybe that factors in on some level?

But a huge huge part of it I think, is you're allllllmost never in direct competition with anyone else. For anything.

• Biggest source of MMO epeen wars / guild drama bar none:  Disputes over who "should" get a particular piece of loot when it finally drops.
    • Here, the game awards the loot directly, no ifs ands or buts. Doesn't matter if it's an enhancement, a recipe, a piece of salvage,  etc. You get what you get, and no humans are controlling that decision making process.
    • Also, here, loot is a LOT less rare. Yea, I know, you can go a week without getting a purple recipe. Maybe a month if you're super unlucky.  Compare to WoW where the most coveted best-in-slot weapon or trinket might drop TWICE, grand total, over six months or more while your guild does that raidset. And only from 1 boss in that raidset you can only kill once a week.  and there's 6-10 people in your guild directly competing against you.
    • And you have the backstop of the AH treating enhancements/recipes as level-fungible.
    • And you have the backstop of Enhancement Converters.
    • And you have the backstop of being able to buy the really rare enhancements/recipes with Merits
  • Second biggest source of epeen wars, (IMO) is extremely punishing raid mechanics causing raid wipes, and X percent of the people getting vocally unhappy at the 2-3 people who are fouling up, either due to inattention or bad connections, etc.
    • This still probably comes down to loot, as in, "we wiped and didn't get any loot, and We Blame YOU."
    • basically doesn't happen in CoH.  Yea, sometimes you might wipe for like 20 minutes straight, in a REALLY rare ubertough battle. But not like "we've been trying this boss and wiping on him for 3 hours straight, 3 nights a week, for 2 months straight.".  That can happen in WoW progression raiding.  I've seen people dropped from a raiding roster and deguilded over it, and then lots of bad blood as some are "hey it's just business" and others are "he's my best friend WTF!!".
    • there's almost no mechanics in wow gonna brutalize people that badly.

Just nothing for people to get upset at each other FOR, or start to work against each other FOR.

(and, to be clear, that's a Good Thing)

Only competition I can think of is for rare world spawns that are killed before you can arrive. But even those, the giant monsters are still up often ENOUGH that it's not seen as Cask Of Amontillado style offenses if someone downs Caleb just before you arrive, etc.  It's more "jerk, i was on my way" and then you get it a week or so later. 

[EDIT:  lol, @HelBlaiz said it in about 6 paragraphs less than me. But yea.  What he said.]

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 7

Maybe it's my age showing... but it feels to me like other games have reddit communities instead of a forum community.  And in my experience, reddit communities are god-awful cesspits of toxic vitriol.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 4/22/2021 at 7:25 PM, KauaiJim said:

These forums, the HC team, this community - ALL OF YOU - you are all wonderful.

I challenge your concept of reality!!!

Not really, but that's just such a great phrase. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Maybe it's my age showing... but it feels to me like other games have reddit communities instead of a forum community.  And in my experience, reddit communities are god-awful cesspits of toxic vitriol.  

Part of that is because many games today that would have had dedicated forums are instead opting to run subreddits and other social media accounts since it costs them basically nothing to do it. It's pretty bad for some of the "transitional" games I used to play where they originally had a dedicated forum, changed that forum to function more like reddit, then just deleted the forum entirely and exclusively use reddit.

Most of the time, the reddit version of their community is full of boot licking for the developer and it's why they prefer it. You're more likely to get dissent on a dedicated forum that's difficult to "run" from. With reddit, anything people don't like gets downvoted into being invisible so all you see is the constant praise floating to the top.

Usually.

• Like 4

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Ah yes, reddit.  I do browse for info there sometimes, but posting there is not advisable unless you're into s & m or like arguing with kids.  Even then I can only browse reddit for so long before my nostrils fill with the rancid stench of a dumpster fire.  

I had not given any thought to WHY this community is so great, but I think some of you have brought up a very valid point.  The very nature of City of Heroes itself seems to attract a lot of good people.  I never thought about it much myself but I think that does have something to do with it.  I am just glad for this place and all of you.  An expression I've been hearing people say a lot lately applies here;  "I appreciate you!".  So even if we can attribute some of the credit to CoH itself, it really is all of you.  

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

On 4/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, MTeague said:

Only competition I can think of is for rare world spawns that are killed before you can arrive. But even those, the giant monsters are still up often ENOUGH that it's not seen as Cask Of Amontillado style offenses if someone downs Caleb just before you arrive, etc.  It's more "jerk, i was on my way" and then you get it a week or so later. 

Caleb is the one GM I have never killed, and I think I've killed just about everything in the last 15 years. I never knew how to spawn him and never bothered to research it because I always forget.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turric said:

Caleb is the one GM I have never killed, and I think I've killed just about everything in the last 15 years. I never knew how to spawn him and never bothered to research it because I always forget.

You have to defeat 100 Nerva spectral demons during daylight hours, then Caleb will spawn at night.  However, there's a big catch that the vast majority of players are completely unaware of.

Should you defeat 100 Nerva spectral demons during daylight hours, and not receive the message that Caleb has spawned upon nightfall... that's because he's still out there somewhere from the last time he spawned.  If Caleb is spawned and not defeated, he goes invisible during daylight hours, and re-appears at nightfall, but you don't get any message.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

You have to defeat 100 Nerva spectral demons during daylight hours, then Caleb will spawn at night.  However, there's a big catch that the vast majority of players are completely unaware of.

Should you defeat 100 Nerva spectral demons during daylight hours, and not receive the message that Caleb has spawned upon nightfall... that's because he's still out there somewhere from the last time he spawned.  If Caleb is spawned and not defeated, he goes invisible during daylight hours, and re-appears at nightfall, but you don't get any message.

Thank you. Now I will be testing that out the next time I am on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Turric said:

Thank you. Now I will be testing that out the next time I am on.

He usually spawns at one of the beaches on or near Thorn Isle, and then once spawned tends to fly high.  If you don't see him at the beach, odds are he's circling the area around Thorn Isle or Primeva really high up.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

Part of that is because many games today that would have had dedicated forums are instead opting to run subreddits and other social media accounts since it costs them basically nothing to do it. It's pretty bad for some of the "transitional" games I used to play where they originally had a dedicated forum, changed that forum to function more like reddit, then just deleted the forum entirely and exclusively use reddit.

Same way that not so many mom'n'pop businesses put up their own website anymore, far easier and cheaper to just do a Facebook page.  The consolidation continues apace!

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/25/2021 at 1:09 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Sometimes. Other times you can find yourself on the wrong end of a 30 day ban. 🙂

Those happen?!

On 4/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, KauaiJim said:

(sorry to any of you who dislike these kinds of posts - I just really had to say it)

frack them.

Glad to have your participation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think part of the great community we have here is due to several reasons.  A couple are:

--It's not a new game -> this brings people who like the game for what it is

--It's a free game -> If you're not paying for it, you tend to realize you have less ground to demand anything -> you also tend to be more thankful for the game

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, KauaiJim said:

I am usually mostly a 'forum lurker' especially in most mmo's anymore.  I pop in to keep my fingers on the pulse of what is going on and look up things I need answers to.  But posting on a lot of forums feels a lot like volunteering to be the target at a shooting range.  Some forums you can't say so much as 'hi' without someone eagerly wanting to debate or challenge your concept of reality.

Not so here.  These forums, the HC team, this community - ALL OF YOU - you are all wonderful.  Lately I've been downright 'chatty' and enjoying myself and thinking, "Wow, this is a really well behaved, mature, respectful, intelligent, diverse and considerate community."

So, I have no idea what is prompting me to go all full cheesy here but I really do want to say thank you to the HC team AND this community!  You guys are great.  There is a true camaraderie here.  IMO this may be the BEST mmo community I have ever had the privilege of being part of.

... and to any other 'hermit crabs' out there - I think this is a safe place to 'come out of your shell' if you are feeling compelled to jump in and become an active community member or even just toss in your '2 cents' here and there.  

If there was a ranking scale for forums this place gets a 12 (out of 1-10, lol)!

So thank all of you for making this place such a nice place for everyone.  You folks are the best.  💗

That was very well said @KauaiJim, as always. But please remember that you too are a part of this great community of people who love City of Heroes, and the Homecoming forums. Without YOU, it would be like taking a little piece of color out of a work of art. True, there are shadows and blemishes here and there (as in any art form), but together... together... we can make art that brings tears to even the most jaded of us. City of Heroes (and yes villians... I am not forgetting you @Snarky lol) is a very unique game; so why wouldn't that extend to the great players AND developers who have come back? If it is true what they say about "you are what you eat", well might it also be true that "you are what you play" too?

I like to think so, and reading these forums, laying the game, and interacting/teaming with you all, how could it be anything else? You are all heroes... even those pesky villians like @Snarky lol. Speaking of which, maybe... just maybe you are not trying hard enough good/evil Sir. Take this for inspiration lol (cause if he can do it, you can too... you pesky vampire you 😋)...

Peace...

tenor (2).gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

19 hours ago, Rishidian said:

I think part of the great community we have here is due to several reasons.  A couple are:

--It's not a new game -> this brings people who like the game for what it is

--It's a free game -> If you're not paying for it, you tend to realize you have less ground to demand anything -> you also tend to be more thankful for the game

I'm thankful for this game, BECAUSE it got resurrected. I don't think I need to tell you how devastated I was when it was announced that the 'live' version of this game was going to be shut down. To see it now reborn, it has given me renewed hope. That may be why this gaming community is so friendly and helpful. (It certainly isn't the heroic theme of the game or else Redside would be considered one of the MOST toxic communities.)

• Like 2