The most fun to play

Controllers have become my go-to in Homecoming, Illusion and Dark controllers in particular.  I had avoided the "confuse" powers on live because 1) the pundits claimed that such powers reduced XP, and 2) I didn't want to be "that guy" who "ruined" everyone's "fun" by "stealing" XP from them.  Now I'm old enough to not give a carp, and now I loves me some confusion.  Nothing better than getting a Lieutenant or even a Boss to punch a destructible item until it blows up and knocks them back 20 feet.

That said, I also love my Archery/Martial Combat blaster and my Martial Arts/Ninjutsu scrapper.  If all they had was style, they'd have more than enough to keep me playing.  Throw on a trenchcoat or some other butt cape, and you've got perfection and grace and a smile on your face.

Still love the idea of my Staff/Dark Armor stalker - a temple guardian spirit who woke up real angry when thieves broke into the museum and messed with her relics - but she kind of lost traction around level 20.  Still not sure why.  Also still digging my first concept to make it out of the tutorial - a private detective from the early 1940s who got science-blapped into the future while investigating 5th Column activity.  Unfortunately, he stalled out when he really, really needed a travel power, and nothing on offer fit the bill.  Maybe someday we'll all be able to call a taxi and the world will be right with Dash Marlowe.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, catsi563 said:

DP Martial Combat is one of the most fun combos ive played ever its made me literally rethink my entire blaster build strategy and fighting strategy

+1

Dual Pistols/Martial Combat has so many powers to choose from, and all of them are some joyous variant on punching someone in the face, kicking someone in the face, or ridiculously OTT gun shenanigans which will eventually result in shooting someone in the face.   The damage is decent, and the animations are pure delight.  And then there's an awesome bunch of utility stacked on top.  Do you need to spend a lot of time in melee range to dish out maximum damage?  No problem, here's a combat teleport and a chunky defence buff while you lay waste to your enemies.  Mez getting you down?  Have a click mez protection.  Mean people trying to close with you?  AoE Slow field on your sustain!  Did some of them get up to you anyway?  Ki Push them away, and why don't you get in another kick and then shoot them while they're flying slowly backwards through the air?  It's just endless fun times.

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

12 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Dual Pistols/Martial Combat has so many powers to choose from, and all of them are some joyous variant on punching someone in the face, kicking someone in the face, or ridiculously OTT gun shenanigans which will eventually result in shooting someone in the face.  ...  It's just endless fun times.

I have an AR/Martial and have been discovering the same thing (I know DP's probably better, but I've done that power set a few times now).  That shooting someone as they drift away after a Ki Push never gets old!

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

At the moment it's my Fire/Earth Dom(Popocatepetl). So much smashy fun, plays like a scrapper but, pardon the pun, dominates.

Also love my Thugs/Kin MM(Godfather), Gang War + Burnout + Gang War + Speed Boost + Fulcrum Shift and fuhgeddaboudit...

Edited by Mopery
Penguin Astronaut Theorists

What, me worry?

Mechanically fun?

DP / Nin Blaster is probably my favorite. Having the ability to crit, and crit out of hide, is stupendous. Tack on the survivability from the sets, proc options, and flashy sword and pistol animations and it's a perfect storm. Not objectively better than Fire/Fire for overall damage output, but certainly more fun to watch.

Close after that are Grav/Martial Dominator (with non-Hasten Permadom, muahahaha) for the controlled chaos, and BR/Kin Corruptor for... I don't really know why. I just like it. Hits hard and buffs well.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, GastlyGibus said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot_200427-20-02-07.thumb.jpg.7f9e04a4cffd0a6d5da508a6304f6f28.jpg1434460235_CapedCrustacean.jpg.5f53397795e2389b0bc6e4704b549ac7.jpgscreenshot_200528-19-02-41.thumb.jpg.6ded7d2defaf4161e310f7f557382d06.jpg

He's named "The Caped Crustacean." 😆

I want to steal your idea and make Crab Man. Basically the similar but I only move around with A and D. 

Edited by A Cat
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mopery said:

At the moment it's my Fire/Earth Dom(Popocatepetl). So much smashy fun, plays like a scrapper but, pardon the pun, dominates.

Also love my Thugs/Kin MM(Godfather), Gang War + Burnout + Gang War + Speed Boost + Fulcrum Shift and fuhgeddaboudit...

My condolences for your End bar.  I have one of those (Fire/Earth Dom) and even with PermaDom and Ageless it's not enough.

For way too many years now, my main claws/sr scrapper (and for a time brute... and yea, he works great as a tank, too, but the scrap/brute are still more fun) was the tip of the iceberg on fun/intense/joyous but lately a newcomer has crept up the chain and may one day top him:

My earth/earth dominator, Terra from Teen Titans ripoff, named Gaea's Savagery. There's just so much right going on there. Awesome mitigation, solid damage and all the oh so glorious crunching sound fx flying all the time. She's just freakin brutal.

• Haha 1

Make like 10 minutes i write then erase what AT, i love most but at the end got a shit ton of lvl 50 toons and i love them all, sometimes more than others, for what they do best.

Finally, i think that fun is awesome but :

930125485_tenor(24).gif.96a3d89ea3d65d6886f84a63d05ff839.gif

Vous souhaitez rejoindre un canal de discussion 100% Français ?

Vous souhaitez faire des TF Chill ou 4 étoiles avec des Francophones de tout pays ?

Vous souhaitez avoir accès à la meilleure base de données avec les meilleurs builds et ressources en Français ?

"La lune Bleue" est le canal de discussion qu'il vous faut !

N'attendez plus ! Contactez nous en jeu, ou notre Discord  https://discord.gg/GwTeNMrz6z

• 2 years later

Here's what I do:

Think of your favorite Superhero. 

Use that for a template.

Pretending to be Ghost Rider for instance, build a Magic Origin and take on the Magic quests to keep the flavor, and go from there.

Posted (edited)

Greycat nailed it ... the definition of fun varies.

I remade my Ice/Ice/Ice tanker from Live and spent a few months just tinkering with her build, and ended with something really good. Tanked Hami 🙂

I remade my PB. It was fun! He is the only character that I fully kitted all build options. He is formidable and highly durable.

I have also been going through all my alts. Examples:

• DB/Martial Combat. Paired with Combat Teleport, this is just an exciting character to play. Ki Push, when it lands, just makes me giggle
  • Rad/Rad blaster ... makes things go BOOM! quick like. An amazing combo of DPS and Debuff
  • I have versions of the new Storm set and Seismic Blast... despite the negative backlash, I enjoyed them.

My current character is an MA/Willpower Brute; A little old-school fun.

Inspired by the Duke Cannon products ... but with a Danny Crane personality 🙂

Completely satisfying

Edited by JasperStone
Changed MA/Regen to MA/Willpower

/e poofgone

My main is my Shield/Psi tank, it had to be a tank as that's right in my comfort zone. However there are times that nothing beats the fun and absolute chaos of my ill/Storm controller. Then there are my blasters, Seismic and Storm Blast with their amazing effects.

• 2 weeks later

It's really about what mechanics you like. I like my earth/seismic blaster that hangs out at maximum range tossing rocks around, but also the DP/ninja blaster that dishes out PBAOEs and the weird chemicals from the experimentation pool. 

What @Greycat said.

Fun is relative, my most fun to play isn't my most powerful or one I play the most often but I do cackle with glee when my teammates go on about how Mender Ramiel has to drain the pool again after my character has gone for a swim.

mOirHF5.jpg

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 5/31/2024 at 12:18 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

What @Greycat said.

Fun is relative, my most fun to play isn't my most powerful or one I play the most often but I do cackle with glee when my teammates go on about how Mender Ramiel has to drain the pool again after my character has gone for a swim.

mOirHF5.jpg

That's a great costume!

• Thanks 1

This is a really tough question to answer, as there are so many different tastes, play-styles, and just different variables in the game itself.

Knowing nothing about your play style or personal interests, I would say that either controllers or dominators allow access to the most toys (i.e. different kinds of power sets), which can make them the most interesting to play because there are so many different things you can do with them.  Both are brittle AT's at baseline, though, and might prove frustrating for a new player to learn on.