Super Hero Name Generator

Marine X

Found this completely by accident but thought it might help if someone was looking for a name for a new Character.

Superhero names (fantasynamegenerators.com)

Played with it for a bit and it came up with a good one every once in a while.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Triumphant said:

Ah, yes- that site.  The superhero one is probably the best of the lot.  You can at least mix and match results to get something coherent.  99% of the generators on that site produce nothing but idiot word salad, though.  😄

Pretty much, though I found that it offers some that with the swap of a letter or two you end up with decent fantasy names.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

IIRC, that method was suggested in the Prima guide for CoH. Add a letter - Doom becomes Droom, etc.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

I only use that one when I am looking for a laugh.

Me:  Okay, I have a female character, rough and tumble biker chick, what have you got for me?
Generator:  Oh, oh, you'll love this!  How about... FIST KICK!

Me:  ...

Generator:  FIST KICK!

Me:  That's not a name.  That's not even right, a kick with your fist is just a punch.

Generator:  FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

Me:  We're done.

Generator:  No!  Wait!  I can do better!

Generator:  This one'll blow your socks off!  FOOT PUNCH!

Me:  *facepalm*

Generator:  It's a punch, WITH YOUR FOOT!  FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT PUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH!

Me:  Never speak to me again.  Goodbye.

Generator:  What abo-

Me:  *clicks Close and clears browser history*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

It appears to be the standard combination ::

[adjective] [male/female, animal, or thing] - Superman, Green Hornet, Flaming Carrot, War Machine, etc.

-or-

[Title] [name or adjective] [name, male/female, animal, or thing] - Doctor Bruce Banner, Colonel Nick Fury, *Doctor Victor von Doom, etc. 

*von is actually a royalty title meaning "Baron". So it is weird when it is used in this combination but also when "Baron" is use as a preface to Baron von Richthofen. "Baron von" is like "cole-slaw". Both words mean the same thing, but even though they are redundant we use them together for whatever reason.

(don't get me started on "coward" verus "cowherd")

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

48 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

von is actually a royalty title meaning "Baron".

Actually, it was also used as a toponym, indicating an individual's place of origin or residence -- for example, 'Hans von Duisburg' was 'Hans from the city of Duisburg'. 'Von' was a nobiliary particle, indicating the nobility of a family lineage, not a specific rank; 'freiherr' was the approximate equivalent of 'baron' -- someone with the rank of 'Ritter' might, if they were considered to be deserving of more than just Ritter, but not Freiherr, could be given 'Ritter von' as a title. This last was also adopted for orders of merit -- non-noble recipients of the Military Order of Max Joseph or the Order of Merit of the Bavarian Crown, for example, would be granted this title.

27 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Actually, it was also used as a toponym, indicating an individual's place of origin or residence

But it does appear that this was used for the nobility in earlier times and not the common man as far as I can tell.

Anyone that doesn't travel doesn't need something in their name to indicated where they came from.

As the merchant class developed, I can see it being more used more in as a place of origin modifier, but that would only work in situations where von is/was followed by the name of a City or Region and not a family name.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

It was also used somewhat ironically, as when Philipp Gothard von Schaffgotsch, the Prince-Bishop of Breslau, appointed the composer Carl Ditters Amtshauptmann of Fresenik; because the post required a noble title, he was sent to Vienna and given the title of von Dittersdorf, making him Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf -- loosely the equivalent of 'John Smith of Smithtown'.

Edited by srmalloy
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

The rest of the time, you hit the thesaurus.

Instead of a thesaurus, try relatedwords.org next time!  This one is nice because it comes up with words that aren't quite synonyms but still fit.  (Although whatever method they use to find the related words returns some really weird results sometimes, too)

• Thanks 1

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

Just for funsies, clicked 7 times and got:

1. The Lucky Oxman
  2. The Hot Sniper
  3. The Honorable Dagger
  4. The Heavenly Starling
  5. Commander Magical Macaw
  6. Chief Fancy Eagle
  7. Marvelous Spirit
  8. Professor Defiant Daggers
  9. Black Knight
  10. Black Star

OF these, 9 & 10 are the least interesting ("I am the night!" "Oh, yeah? Well, I am nightier!") .

Other than that, I had a few thoughts on some of these:

• Lucky Oxman....hmmmm...like...he just stands there...with his Ox...being lucky?
  • Hot Sniper...change a couple letters, and you have a day (er...night) job. (but in the spirit, WECANDOIT!=Sentinel AR/FA? Blaster: AR/FM? Any powerset with a revealing outfit? (like...a dude running around in nuthin' but tighty whities?)
  • Honorable Dagger: Come now - all daggers are honorable:-)
  • Chief Fancy Eagle: "You know, it's not a bad eagle...I mean, we could fancy it up, add a few throw pillows...stuff like that...")

I actually liked Magical Macaw. Not sure why we need the rank, but that indicates we have an organization of bird people? "Dat's MAH Caw! Not Yo Caw!"

Lest I forget: Professor Defiant Daggers:

"So, you're...defiant, and you, like, use knives and stuff..."

"(sighs) No. Defiant Daggers is my given name. I just fly and punch myself real hard."

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

Me:  Okay, I have a female character, rough and tumble biker chick, what have you got for me?
Generator:  Oh, oh, you'll love this!  How about... FIST KICK!

Generator:  FIST KICK!

Me:  That's not a name.  That's not even right, a kick with your fist is just a punch.

Generator:  FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

Me:  We're done.

Generator:  No!  Wait!  I can do better!

Generator:  This one'll blow your socks off!  FOOT PUNCH!

Me:  *facepalm*

Generator:  It's a punch, WITH YOUR FOOT!  FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT PUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH!

Me:  Never speak to me again.  Goodbye.

Generator:  What abo-

Me:  *clicks Close and clears browser history*

It could have given you Deth Kick.

9 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

*von is actually a royalty title meaning "Baron". So it is weird when it is used in this combination but also when "Baron" is use as a preface to Baron von Richthofen. "Baron von" is like "cole-slaw".

Pretty sure 'von' just indicates nobility, not a specific rank; it means 'from' but when used in old-school German it meant (more or less) "from the noble family of" instead. It was both illegal and A Bad Idea to tack it on to your name, which is why pretentious folks of that era used the Dutch "van" instead — see Ludvig Mies, later Ludvig Mies van der Rohe.

So "Baron von Schlumpfnagel" reads out as The Noble Baron Schlumpfnagel" which is still a bit repetitive but not quite as redundant as you make it. Like "The Royal Queen Elizabeth"... but then, Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth is just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

14 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

t could have given you Deth Kick.

Kick Chick is kind of along the lines of High Kick Girl.

14 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Pretty sure 'von' just indicates nobility, not a specific rank; it means 'from' but when used in old-school German it meant (more or less) "from the noble family of" instead. It was both illegal and A Bad Idea to tack it on to your name, which is why pretentious folks of that era used the Dutch "van" instead — see Ludvig Mies, later Ludvig Mies van der Rohe.

So "Baron von Schlumpfnagel" reads out as The Noble Baron Schlumpfnagel" which is still a bit repetitive but not quite as redundant as you make it. Like "The Royal Queen Elizabeth"... but then, Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth is just fine.

It originated from an era predating family names, and meant "from" (also used was zu). This usage is similar with older English ways to call someone, like Robin of Locksley, but carried the specific meaning that the guy was noble as well. Later, the "von" + place name became family names when that became a thing. That being said, it is not totally reliable. Not all nobles head it. And after WWI, when the German peerage was abolished, people could add it to their names with no consequence. All this at least, this is true of the Prussians, because before 1871, there was no "Germany", and I don't know enough to know if you could generalize this to all the constituent kingdoms/principalities/dukedoms/etc that became Imperial Germany. 

Edited by A Cat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1