Long Range TP Requirements Are Killing My Altitis (Maybe that's a good thing?)

Tahliah

Okay, we all knew that the insta-base transporter thing wasn't going to last . . .  and that we were lucky to have it for as long as we did.

But I'm not, so far, a fan of the new transportation system.  If I only had one or two alts, that would be one thing, but I have lots (altitis, anyone?), and I frankly just don't even bother with them now that I have hit all the explorations in one zone for the thing to work,  . . .  and then at least one exploration badge in every other zone to ever "quick travel" there.

At the same time, I don't want to hold up teams while I take the "scenic"/old school/or even base route, so I just don't play these alts that much (or at all).

I get that LR-tp is a huge help on an alt that already has access to everything, but on new alts, of which I have (too?) many, I just don't care about hitting every exploration badge in a single zone, or really hitting ANY exploration badge ever.

Maybe it's a good thing that I have zero desire to roll new alts because I don't want to deal with the LR-tp requirements?   Altitis cured!

Edited by Tahliah

On Excelsior there is a player ( I am not good at names) Who I think is called Okami the teleporting wolf.  Pretty regularly he advertises his tour and takes you to one location badge everywhere Blueside.  Takes about 44 minutes 

Thanks Okami!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Thanks Okami!!!

Indeed, he's great.

Also, most teams are rushing from zone to zone by TT these days, so this is moot.  Seriously though, this is pretty much our speedspeedspeed mentality run amok - which yes, is what speedspeedspeed would want (and yes I will admit to a bias against it as it seems to lead to lots of "come join my team while I solo this").  If you want to play this way or keep up with those who do, then you'll need to spend the time to get a badge from each zone, with or without Okami.  I've done it myself (using a jetpack to avoid the purple bad guys) in about an hour.   It doesn't really strike me as that onerous a requirement to speedspeedspeed in ways we didn't used to be able to.  And I do have alts, a few pages of them.

ETA: I mean, we spend time planning builds, right?  Running Mids, all that, and crafting, working the market to get whatever we need.  This is just another one of those chores we have to put in to get out the massive pewpewpew we like.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

After getting all of AP (which is a short jaunt around that zone), just grab Talos. It’ll drop you right near the tram and portal to most places.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Did something change recently? I just got here with starbucks.

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

I tend to think of long range teleporter as a perk for characters I really like. 

I have my own base with portals to almost everywhere, which is easy to get to, plus there are teleport powers you can buy direct to mission doors, etc.

Compared to other games, travel on HC is still extremely easy. 

I don’t want to dismiss your opinion just it’s not something I share really. Maybe if removed everything and only had the two tram lines again…

• Like 3

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

4 hours ago, Chrono-Bot said:

Did something change recently? I just got here with starbucks.

Depends on how one measures "recently." 😉

More Helpfully:  No, nothing has changed, literally or figuratively.  There really needs to be a word for when something is both.

LRT/Fast Travel Accolade was released with i27pg1 in November of 2020 and there were pages upon pages of discussion of this topic during Open Beta prior to the release.

For the OP:

I'm sorry that the changes are not to your taste and that the current setup turns you off.  Fortunately, as others have mentioned, there are plenty of ways to circumvent the "Long Way 'Round." in this game.  IMO, that has always been one of this games hallmark features - even when we all waited for 14 levels for a travel power and called out in broadcast for a TaxiBot ride to our mission door.  Even then this game was light-years ahead of contemporaries with respect to travel.

Counter-Opinion:

Grabbing the Starter Zone Explore badges is basically my SOP now when starting up a toon.  Grab a 2XP, do some light street sweeping, and wind up with +/- 6 levels and the FT menu before I am done with my morning coffee. Edit: In fairness I don't start as many toons as some, and I take even fewer to 50.  But I start enough of them that if I felt this was a hassle I'd skip it and circle back once I decided it was a keeper.

Edited by InvaderStych
word choice/detail
  • Like 3

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I tend to think of long range teleporter as a perk for characters I really like. 

I have my own base with portals to almost everywhere, which is easy to get to, plus there are teleport powers you can buy direct to mission doors, etc.

Compared to other games, travel on HC is still extremely easy. 

I don’t want to dismiss your opinion just it’s not something I share really. Maybe if removed everything and only had the two tram lines again…

This is a great way to look at it! It is an accolade that grants a permanent power, just like Atlas Medallion or Born In Battle.

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

@Tahliah and everyone else.... Refresh yourself with the patch notes on Long Range Teleporter.... your Old "Base-Button" Macros still work!  On a new toon, just grab all the Atlas explores and get your LRT button.  Click you LRT and immediately hit your Base-passcode macro button and you will transport to your base so you can travel to any zone you have a teleporter for!  

From the patch notes:  See last bullet point.  🙂  

New Accolade Power: Long Range Teleporter

• LongRangeTeleporter.png.4970195b31b9e2546510622430b293f0.png Long Range Teleporter
    • The Pocket D VIP Pass power has been significantly improved and is now the Long Range Teleporter
      • If you previously owned Pocket D VIP Pass, you will now have the Long Range Teleporter with Pocket D unlocked as a destination
    • Long Range Teleporter is unlocked by the Passport Accolade, which can be acquired by earning:
      • An exploration accolade in any zone with a Base Portal (see the "Complete Base Portal List" below for reference), or
      • The Pocket D VIP Gold Club Member badge (for spending 1 hour in Pocket D)
    • Long Range Teleporter can be used once to teleport you to any zone that you have unlocked
      • Collecting any exploration badge in a zone will unlock it as a destination
      • Pocket D can also be unlocked with the Pocket D VIP Gold Club Member badge
      • Only zones with base portals can be unlocked (see the "Complete Base Portal List" below for reference)
    • Long Range Teleporter has a 2s activation time and a 10 minute cooldown
      • Activation time is longer in PvP
    • If you activate Long Range Teleporter and do not use it, the cooldown will begin counting down but the power can still be used again until you zone
      • This is indicated by the red ring around the power
      • Note that even if you zone without using LRT, it will still go on cooldown - it's not possible to determine if you zone with the power or not
      • Examples:

• You activate the power. Spend 60 seconds looking at the options before clicking one. When you zone, the power will be on cooldown with 9 minutes left.

• You activate the power. You don't zone. Two minutes later you activate it again and zone. The power will go on cooldown with 10 minutes left (each activation resets the timer).

• You activate the power, then keep running around the zone for five minutes. Then you use a monorail or whatever to go to a different zone. The power will go on cooldown with 5 minutes left

• Long Range Teleporter allows you to use /enterbasefrompasscode to enter any base

Provided you have a base with teleporters.... You don't have to fumble with the LRT interface... you don't have to collect explores in every zone... and you can quickly travel to any zone without slowing down your team.  

If you do not have a base for for quick travel, please feel free to use mine:  /macro STA enterbasefrompasscode STA-8822 (Steel Transit Authority)  All teleporters, trainers, stores, and other useful things for a traveler are right there for you to use. ...and feel free to explore the base!  

Edited by Frozen Burn
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've got a ton of alts as well. North of 100. Given two accounts, probably at 200 or so on Everlasting.

It takes maybe two minutes in Atlas (little longer in Mercy) to get LRT unlocked - also giving five merits.

Holding up a team to get *one* explore badge in another zone? They're freaking everywhere. You should generally be able to get one with almost no diversion from wherever you're going to. Some you can't help but stumble over.

When it's slow? Get all of them in the zones, a few zones at a time, 5 merits a pop. Adds up nicely. And since you'll already have LRT options for those zones, you can get to them quickly.

You see it (for some reason) as a hinderance for new characters. I see it as a bonus for getting starting cash for them (5 merits for all the explore badges in a starting zone - convert to converters - sell. Easy money.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

This will be harsh...

So another whiny post of "waaaaah! I have to lift my pinkie to do something!  waaaaaah!"

Be glad we don't have to get to the tram station in the snow uphill (well, uphill in AP we do), and leave the station to go uphill in the snow to get to our mission.

I wonder what a "uphill in the snow both ways" map would actually look like. Maybe something Escherish?  😄

edit: answered my own question

Is it physically possible to walk uphill to school both ways, using the  same route? - Quora

Edited by gamingglen

I do sometimes feel lonely still flying from mission to mission, or taking the tram / ferries, or even using the actual street connections to zone from place to place. 

I enjoy it, a lot. travel time lets me actually appreciate my City and see misc nooks and crannies and "huh, didn't know that was there", kind of things.

But.... clearly a sizeable chunk of the player base is "ain't got time for that".

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

On Excelsior there is a player ( I am not good at names) Who I think is called Okami the teleporting wolf.  Pretty regularly he advertises his tour and takes you to one location badge everywhere Blueside.  Takes about 44 minutes 

Thanks Okami!!!

Okami is awesome. (+1,000)

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

15 hours ago, cranebump said:

After getting all of AP (which is a short jaunt around that zone), just grab Talos. It’ll drop you right near the tram and portal to most places.

Worth noting, when you go from Ouroboros to Talos, it drops you 20 or 30 feet from the exploration badge on top of the mound.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

15 hours ago, cranebump said:

Don't forget Cap au Diable, (which is the red side hub).

• Like 1

If you just completely despise getting all the explore badges in a zone to unlock LRT,  then purchase the long range teleport from p2w for 1 million.  Then you just have to grab a single badge as you move around the zones.

Some characters i get all the explore badges in a zone and sometimes i just buy it.