MYSTIC FORTUNE Take or No Take?

Jacktar

Hello everybody,

just rolled a new alt and (I suspect like many of us) went through my new alt routine.

One part of this routine is to visit the Gull and 

deny group fly

deny speed boost

hide travel tray

and deny all Mystic Fortunes.

But I am wondering if the last deny is actually the best choice?

I know virtually nothing about how this power works or the pro’s and con’s of acceptance or denial.

I only know that back in the day the few times I got hit with a fortune it always seemed to be a debuff and really annoying.

However this could be just a skewed perception on my part that led me to the always deny choice.

What do you guys choose and any thoughts/info on the merits of the power will be really appreciated.

And for the alts that have it how do you decide when and on who to use it, or is it an autofire power when ready?

Thanks

I always accept, and almost always pick it up, character concept be damned.  From what I read on the Wiki page for it, there's only one that gives you a debuff, The Fool: 

This fortune stands for Thoughtlessness, Folly and Frivolity. Your To-hit has been slightly reduced, however your Movement rate and Recharge rate have improved.

Note: Although The Fool debuffs your tohit, the effect on your hit chance is minor [-3% to-hit]

Still, even that one also gives you +100% Movement Rate, +15% Recharge

I doubt they ever really affect things too much, but I have seen teams throw them around like lucky rabbits feet after a team wipe, ha ha.

• Thumbs Up 4

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The Fool's debuff is annoying, but you should be building your character to be able to power through a measly -3% to hit; you're going to be dealing with a lot worse from enemies.

Overall, it's an assortment of nice (if random) little buffs that don't cost end and last a long time - well worth casting and accepting.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have a few concepts (robots, scientists, superintelligent shades of the color blue) that will set to auto-deny and not take the P2W power.

Otherwise, I'm in for both auto-accept and the power. I figure most anyone can pick up a lucky charm of some sort.

It's Secondary Mutation ("Watch me turn into a monkey! Aw, darn it, missed again!") and self-destruction ("Wait, I can avoid debt, damage my foes, and get a free ride to the hospital or base? Yes, please!") that I find hard to skip regardless of concept.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I have an issue with the auto-accept, because sometimes - I get the buff and have no idea who gave it to me. Which, I guess is why sometimes my avatar is looking around like I was trying to get away with something. 

Another minor annoyance is when I'm crafting, clearly not going into battle or anything, and someone who's not on my team decides to cast it on me. And suddenly, I feel obligated to reciprocate, when I'd often prefer to do what I was doing before. 

So, I tend to auto-reject them. This way, I don't know who tried to give it to me, and I don't have to reciprocate. Additionally, it lets me use that slot in the power tray for something with more utility. When I'm solo, although my characters get Secondary Mutation, it never makes its way in my tray, and is almost never used. And I don't think I've ever cast MF on anyone unless it was cast on me first. It's just not something I think about, mainly because it's not in my trays. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The 9 buffs and 1 Debuff from Mystic Fortune are all minor and don't affect things very much. The one exception is the dang dialog box that pops up right in the middle of the screen, preventing me from seeing what's going on, and forcing me to stop attacking to click on the accept/deny button. Once that dang box actually killed me! Another time I ran right off a cliff because I couldn't see where I was going! So you're doing the right thing to set it to always/never accept at Null the Gull.

Hate those freaking pop-up boxes. They occur at the worst times. The pop-ups that appear when reaching level 20 or 30 are just as bad, not to mention all of the various boxes with new contacts, badges, first tips, etc. They happen in the middle of combat, interrupt the flow, force you to stop movement, etc! 

Most of the time the pop up boxes are a minor annoyance, but if I could I would disable those too! Come to think of it, why don't developers make them transparent so you can still see what's gong on around you (COH is not the only game that does this with pop-up boxes)? Or why don't they put 5 second timers on them to automatically fade away? Why stop the momentum of the game and force us to click on it? Clicking on it doesn't force me to look any closer at it. In fact, I now brush them aside so quickly because I'm in the middle of something that I don't even look at the boxes!

Anyway, Mystic Fortune is usually a small buff but it does add together with other buffs, and every little bit helps. So I set it to Always Accept.

@Ukase, I completely understand where you're coming from. However, do you chastise those who give you the buff right in the middle of combat? Cuz they deserve it! If not, don't worry about thanking them. You didn't ask for it, and in fact may not even want it. Do you thank the person every time you're healed, or speed boosted, or buffed in a zillion different ways? Do you even know they're doing it? Of course you don't. So, here's the rule you can follow... if the other player has told (or asked) you in chat (or I suppose voice chat) that they are giving you Mystic Fortune (or any gift), then the polite thing to do is to reply to them and thank them. If they are attempting to interact with you specifically and socially. Otherwise, it's just another random buff. Treat it as such. 

On the other hand, if you really, really, really want to thank them... then send a generic thank you via the Local chat channel. That should be good enough, and with the new role playing command /listen_range you can even limit how far your thank you can be "heard". 

There are a ton of players who just slap it on other players and zoom away.  Me? I'm generally indifferent to the buff, but I hate the dang pop up boxes! LOL

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I gotta admit ... I very rarely see anyone even using Mystic Fortune in the first place to even think about this. I'll start a new character and go running around for hours, days, maybe weeks before someone hits me with it and I'm like "oh right, gotta fix that auto-accepting."

I figure let folks have their fun, most of the time anymore it's someone doing it for concept reasons, or they just like the busy-body aspect of giving it out in-between missions and such. Back on Live I only ever used it because it was a status thing since it meant you were around long enough to have earned it in the first place. Here... not so much a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I set it to auto-accept, because I hate having to find my cursor and click the button when it pops up.  And among the family SG it definitely gets used. There's some fun just seeing which buffs people get.

The only thing I hate about it? I *always* seem to get The Fool right before I walk into one of those twisty-turny Oranbegan maps. Which means I'm going to spend time getting caught ON EVERY SINGLE TORCH in the place. I do not like the extra movement speed on those maps. 😝

• Haha 4

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I click auto-accept, but except for one char (concept reason), I don't deny any.

I tend to get Inspiration, then Mutation, then Mystic.  I have a long term goal of getting the kill shot on the Rikti Drop Ship with a monkey slap.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 6:28 AM, Jacktar said:

and deny all Mystic Fortunes.

But I am wondering if the last deny is actually the best choice?

I know virtually nothing about how this power works or the pro’s and con’s of acceptance or denial.

A majority of the Mystic Fortunes are favorable like Secondary Mutation.

However, there are negative mystic fortunes ... in the same way that secondary mutations' worst is the rikti monkey (which most of the time is pretty comical to me, to be honest).

The list of powers granted by mystic fortune is here :: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Mystic_Fortune

On 10/2/2022 at 6:28 AM, Jacktar said:

What do you guys choose and any thoughts/info on the merits of the power will be really appreciated.

It's based on character conception to me (and/or I have not taken the time to visit the Gull to pick one way or the other, in which case I mostly deny it)

Robots won't take it or accept it

Science and tech characters for the most part won't take it or accept it.

Mystic characters will take it and accept it.

Most of my natural characters won't take it, but will accept it.

If you want some extra flash when using it, use /e cardtrick

Cast the mystic fortune before you throw the cards into the air.

Ghost_Widow_Emote_CardTrick.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

18 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

Hate those freaking pop-up boxes. They occur at the worst times. The pop-ups that appear when reaching level 20 or 30 are just as bad, not to mention all of the various boxes with new contacts, badges, first tips, etc. They happen in the middle of combat, interrupt the flow, force you to stop movement, etc! 

/bind y dialog_yes

/bind n dialog_no

Now you can select an answer without moving your cursor over a tiny button (sometimes it takes me a few seconds just to find my cursor). Oh, and as a bonus, you wont lose your nav bar if you accidentally hit 'n' while trying to open your map.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

Hate those freaking pop-up boxes.

At level 1, I enter this keybind for all my characters. 
/bind z "dialog_yes$$dialog_answer Accept"

No, it doesn't get rid of them, but I am able to get rid of the box quickly with  the mash of my z button. 

Edit: I really should read through the entire thread before giving a response. I see Tiger Shadow just gave a more useful solution, with yes or no. 

Edited by Ukase
  • Thumbs Up 1

I tend to auto-deny it, just because it seems like there are people who go out of their way to cast it on me while I'm in the middle of a fight.  I just feel like, you could've picked a better time.

(As far as keybinds, I use ctrl+y and ctrl+n for dialog_yes and dialog_no, lets me still use plain old "Y" and "N" for other stuff.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IIRC, you can also drag the box off to the side of your screen and every time after that it will appear over there.  I generally do that with every dialogue box on new characters to keep from having my view hampered.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I decline Mystic Fortune every time somebody tries to put it on me, mostly due to a bad first experience with it. Back on live, on only my second day playing the game, I accepted a Mystic Fortune, and ended up with a massive speed buff. It had me moving so fast that I literally could not control my character, could not do anything without slamming into walls or overshooting my intended target. And, making it worse, since I was brand new to the game I had absolutely no idea how to get rid of it. I tried right-clicking on the buff icon and selected an option that looked like it should cancel the effect, but all that did was make the icon disappear without removing the buff, and now I was completely lost on how to get rid of it. I think I ended up just waiting it out.

I mean, there's a reason why, even today, only one of my alts out of (currently) 124 has Super Speed for a travel power, and she only has it because her character concept pretty much required it. And I dislike auto powers that combine a speed buff with a more desirable effect, that force me to more or less sprint constantly if I want the defense bonus. Sprinting through blue caves and Council/5th bases is super unpleasant.

While I love (♥) Speed Boost and Accelerate Metabolism for the End Recovery, the speed boost is ... enh.  It's fun out in the open, but in close quarters, unless you're running as a Kinetic and used to the twitchy nature, it can be ... unwieldy.  So I am glad that there's a mechanism for denying that specific part of a buff.

As for Mystic Fortune... I honestly forget I have it.  I rarely team, so if I do take it as a power it's for 'flavor'.  Secondary Mutation, same thing.  It's like, okay, what buff do I get this time? Oh! I'm a monkey. And I forgot all of my powers.  Time to zone to Atlas and slap around a few Hellions, I guess.

My go-to P2W power is Inner Inspiration, because who doesn't want a few extra insps every X minutes?  

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

9 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

My go-to P2W power is Inner Inspiration, because who doesn't want a few extra insps every X minutes?

Right? I have it on all of my alts. I've used it to completely fill up my base Insp collectors (sorted by type!)

• Thumbs Up 1