Where would you live?

One of the questions that frequently comes to my mind is, given the literally hundreds of hours I've spent in this game, if I were to actually live in Paragon City, where would I choose to live?

It's not simply where, but why? Assuming you were an ordinary citizen, perhaps median income so you needn't live in the worst slums of the Gish, but can you afford the heights of Founders Falls?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it - do you live in the same zone as your characters? For the purposes of this exercise, I'm working on the presumption that while you might have meta powers, you do not have access to a 247 live in SG Base, so must find accommodation within the city and be able to commute relatively easily to your "place of work" (whatever that might be.)

I'm presuming you, dear reader, as the person in overall control of your Paragon Gaming Experience(tm) are not synonymous with your character(s) and are largely existing within the city as a private, non-powered, citizen.

I have my own thoughts on this question, which I shall gladly share later but I don't wish to elaborate them at this stage.

Over to you!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Paragon is a shithole.  Let that sink in.  Paragon is a shithole

Nice neighborhoods?  The ones with the supervillians doing bank robberies and kidnapping citizens to give to Vahzilok to create a distraction for Longbow?   The alien invasions? The zombie apocalypses? And on and freaking on.  

Paragon is a shithole.  Every office building, every warehouse, every freaking sewer.  Even city hall is a war zone frequently 

Shit Hole

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cascade Archipelago.  Great views, tasty fruit, free water, and lots of trampolines.  No need to work and plenty of light.  Fun for the whole family!

Just don't ask about the giant eyeballs.  Or why the water is red.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

Steel Canyon baby, a nice little condo overlooking Platinum Lake and plenty of Outcasts to take my frustrations out on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Unless they have a very different rent structure, I wouldn't. I can't imagine rent (or insurance...) is cheap there. Find a job (like I have now) where you telecommute, move well outside the city (no, not salmanca) to somewhere affordable and where I don't have to worry about my car being used as a throw toy or club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Eden.  All of the hazard zones still have electricity going to them (visit any of them at night, you'll see the windows light up in buildings, even the half-destroyed buildings), and plenty of standing structures in which one can squat.  It's not like civvies are going to come knocking on the door, demanding rent or payment for utilities or cups of sugar, which ensures isolation and serenity.  So I'd move into a Crey building in Eden and use the sci/tech goodies to set up comfortable bunker (reverse osmosis water filtration, aquaponic garden, heat, light).  Outside, I have a forest to enjoy, and it's even filled with targets I can use to stay in shape.

Just need some cats and it's home.

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I can answer this interestingly from both sides of the perspective as I've considered this for a story. For me personally my favorite zone is Croatoa so it'd be a pretty for-sure place for me just on the aesthetics of the town, rent be damned. I'd work as a professor at the university in ancient studies of some lost Fir Bolg/Tuatha cultural stuff, have a few reclaimed Red Cap red caps hanging on my wall as decorations and I'd start each class about Wicca Studies with some line like "If you're here looking for Sara Jessica Parker you'll be disappointed that they're mostly all Scarlet Witches with mommy issues and none of them looking for sugar daddies."

From the opposite side of the coin though I've actually gone through significant lengths piecing together the placement and conception of a Hero point of view living in the city of Paragon, the where, the why, how it interconnects with other zones, ease of travel, time to travel, and put him living in Steel Canyon on the Mid-Upper North end, Skyscrapper. More shops on that side, tram access, Steel is sort of centralized (although the rail system kind of trivializes that anyway).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

If I'm a citizen, Kallisti Wharf. No purse thieves, bully boys or girls (or things), no need to hope for a Hero to save me. I go my merry way. On at least one side of the bridge, anybody talks to me I simply say I'm not looking for trouble and go about my business.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop...

For me, the Christmas Iceskating Pond: quiet, pretty, no violence, lots of free hot cocoa and coffee. 

Okay, yeah, a little more realistic:  Probably Talos Island, the actual island not the warehouse district to the west, nor that peninsula over by Dark Astoria.  I've had a hard day. I don't need zombies keeping me up all night.  TI has a nice beach, and is relatively compact, shopping and supplies fairly easy to manage as a result.  Transportation, vault storage, and the police are all easily accessible off the center square, and the Warriors strike me as one of the more likely-to-listen gangs when I lean out the window and ask them to keep it down, as I'm listening to Mel Torme.

• Like 1

Some very interesting answers here.

I actually like Skyway City - I have a bit of a thing for Brutalist architecture, and Skyway has some great examples of monolithic concrete - some of which seems to serve little to no function other than simply to exist - and parts of the road layouts are simple insane... I mean talk about kids playing games in the street.

Scarlet Shocker personally told me that back in the day - when locations were less... accessible than they are now - she would love to fly the cables that run the length of PI. She'd soak the electricity as she went and it would give her a moment to recharge and reflect before throwing herself into the deep end once more at the behest of Portal Corps. But I guess that's Supers for you.

But yeah the question arose because I was wondering - after all the years of fighting crime in Paragon City, things seem to be getting worse for the citizens and the zones - even when they're being rebuilt, like in Faultline and Baumton, those places still resemble a war zone.

Maybe it's time to sack the "superheroes" and bring in the military, or is Paragon City an entirely lost cause? 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Kallisti Wharf. Ain’t no crime there. Well…usually…

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Likely Faultline for me. Sure, the lost are a problem and clockwork are all over like seagulls in a dump, but the place has potential with all the rebuilding happening...not to mention the best donuts in Paragon. Nice architecture, newer digs, burgeoning businesses, and a quaint park all lit up at night by the soft undulating glow of the war walls. 

Nerva Archipelago on the flip side would be the second choice. Plenty of sea air...not a lot of crazy high rises and plenty of smaller islands to set up a nice cabin (with panic room) on away from the nests of the Lost, Family, and the conflicts between Arachnos and Longbow...yet still be close to shopping and entertainment.

5 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

I would prefer to live in Founder's Falls 

The smell of fetid water all stagnant and stinky.  I've been to Venice, its no picnic in the summer.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The Ski Chalet in Pocket D.  I like winter, I like snow, I like the background soundtrack, weirdo that I am - it's like a fun background score for once.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The land of eternal Halloween for me!  Lakeside farmhouse in Croatoa, here I come!

• Like 2

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**