No rep makes me sad.

Ironblade

It looks like the forum update that Cipher mentioned has removed the reputation displayed next to our number of posts.

I haz a sad. 😭

• Sad 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, roleki said:

But I am digging the new Forum Smells that are venting out of my browser.

you know that's not your browser, right? 😶

• Haha 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I actually have an active dislike of things such as rep - it can quickly become a way of trolling and is inherently divisive. Worse it often has a negative impact on newcomers who come to a forum and see a tonne of people with big reps and they have nothing. It can lead to a sense of elitism; us vs them.

Getting rid of it is a verygoodthing(tm) in my book

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

It looks like the forum update that Cipher mentioned has removed the reputation displayed next to our number of posts.

Rough total is still displayed when you mouse over an avatar, and specific total is still viewable on the profile page.  You can get your endorphin fix.

28 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I actually have an active dislike of things such as rep - it can quickly become a way of trolling and is inherently divisive. Worse it often has a negative impact on newcomers who come to a forum and see a tonne of people with big reps and they have nothing. It can lead to a sense of elitism; us vs them.

As with anything, it depends on the people involved.  Nothing is inherently good or evil, the use is the determinant.  The reputation system isn't good or bad, it's just a thing.  How we use it can be good or bad, and it can reflect how good or bad we are collectively, but that's on us, not it.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

14 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Forums without a reputation system that serves no useful purpose have less drama than those without a reputation system. Every single thing fabricated by humanity is neither inherently good nor evil, since those concepts require a human mind in order to exist. But given a choice between leveraging things for good or evil, I think we know what the popular choice is.

In any case, Reputation systems add no value to any forum. I think that for a thing to exist, it should serve some purpose aside from self-gratification.

This reminds me of what an Art teacher told me about recognizing whether something is art or not.  It is art if another human looks at it, comprehends something from it, and is moved in some way.  At least that is how I remember the explanation.

personally i was quite gratified to see all the people who felt so strongly one way or another about my posts.  it is only when you get the reaction that you are making art!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Snarky said:

personally i was quite gratified to see all the people who felt so strongly one way or another about my posts.  it is only when you get the reaction that you are making art!

Heh I don't know if you know the BBC show The Goodies, but in one of their episodes they have some dialog which goes something like.

Characters dressed as punk rock musicians stagger into room

Character 1: "What a reaction, What a reaction, What a reaction."

Character 2: "They hated us."

Character 1:"Yeah, but what a reaction."

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

image.png.f0f49af85d84b543609fcf890b93965b.png Never did make it to my goal of 200 thumbdowns sooo.. wat evah..

Counts were at least indicative of participation as opposed to: image.png

Meanwhile, the "Posts" count has never been correct,

it's actually showing "Content" count. I've presumed it also includes image uploads, file uploads, etc..

image.png.878ffcd035989841f6e01ed31dc94c93.png ( posts as of today, not 4.5k )

I do miss my "Above the Law" title

😞

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Down 11

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

woot 187 188 189 190 so close !!

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Down 4

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

cant say ive ever seen any drama over forum reputation.  it was a useful indicator for me when answering questions to explain more of the basics to a newcomer and skip the tutorial stuff to someone with more reputation (time on the forums).  its hard to get even a few hundred rep on the forum and still be a beginner ingame.

i think the only time ive ever even seen talk about reputation is when forum badges came for a few hours,  like 3 people complained about it,  and then they were removed.  the resulting discussion was just about the same as this.

• Thumbs Up 2

On the one hand, no accumulated forum rep will make it more difficult for newer users to develop an assurance that the person they tend to agree with most frequently actually knows what the hell they are talking about. 

Lack of rep will be kind of a 'barrier to entry' in and of itself, because when every reaction is based SOLELY on the content of the post in question, you lose most of the 'equity' built into leaving feedback for particular posters... that feeling that kind of perks up when you recognize the person you are agreeing with, and you rememebr you agreed with them on these 10 different posts

On the other hand, forum rep tends to 'organize' into factions over time, with accumulated rep forming a kind of hierarchy of competing confessions.  That doesn't always kill a community, but it will invariably lead to heavy moderation to keep things civil,  which invariably leads to one faction or another feeling itself the 'victor' and the other the 'loser' and THAT is the kind of thing that will kill a community.

On the third hand, I shudder to think what the forums would look like if folks of a certain personality type didn't have a forum reputation to protect, and thus no incentive NOT to say whatever the hell they want.  The inconvenience of having to make another account isn't nearly as effective a deterrent as is the thought of a high-rep account into which you have put many hours of care, accumulating forum rep one post at a time,  only to say something shitty and getting it suspended/banned. 

A community with no incentive to self-police is actually kind of shitty.

• Thumbs Up 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

10 minutes ago, roleki said:

no accumulated forum rep

It's not gone.  It's not disabled, every point is still counted.  You just have to go to someone's profile page to see it.  Yours, mine, whoever you want to know how much reputation that person has, it's still there and still counting up, one click away.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

13 minutes ago, roleki said:

On the one hand, no accumulated forum rep will make it more difficult for newer users to develop an assurance that the person they tend to agree with most frequently actually knows what the hell they are talking about. 

Sometimes a high forum rep indicates the individual knows what they're talking about.  Other times, it means they say a lot of things that are popular (or amusing), or that a lot of people agree with.

Having a high forum rep means they have a high forum rep.  It is not reliable indicator of anything but having a high forum rep.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Post count will end up as the stand in for reputation but it doesnt show post count on my phone and now it doesnt show reputation either.  And my side pull down menu got shifted up some so the top of notifications and private messages is cut off.  Overall a bad update for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Doc_Scorpion the ratio of posts to reputation was typically helpful for me at least as a gauge. Alone both are basically useless.

@roleki you may be spot on regarding self policing..

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1