It's best to play over 50

DougGraves

Was on a PuG yesterday.  Everyone was nice and the team worked well together.  Someone said CoH had the best community of any game.

I commented that it was because we are old.

Everyone started posting their age.  I was tied for youngest at 51.  The oldest was 71.

Then we team wiped 3 times while chatting instead of fighting.

• Like 5
  • Haha 13
  • Thumbs Up 6

24 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Was on a PuG yesterday.  Everyone was nice and the team worked well together.  Someone said CoH had the best community of any game.

I commented that it was because we are old.

Everyone started posting their age.  I was tied for youngest at 51.  The oldest was 71.

Then we team wiped 3 times while chatting instead of fighting.

All that experience and you just let the mobs kill you.  Be ashamed.  Be very ashamed 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mean... statistically speaking the average player age based on just when the game launched versus now is likely somewhere around 38-42. If the demographic the game was "intended" for was 16-24 back at launch of 2004, we're 19 years in making the lowest point of a returning player (excluding scenarios where parents/guardians allowed younger to participate) would be 35. We all know that there was a considerable swing in the age bracket back then though and the player age ranged even then into the 70's, so I'm truly not surprised.

At the latest point in the game's history (2012), we have just crested into the eleventh year (so really just a decade since "THE EVENT"), if a player were to come back now and say "Oh, I remember play this back then..." If they onboarded in the same demographic range then, that'd put them in the 26-34 range now...

• Like 1

I'll have to up my troll game, my dream is to remain insufferable until the day I die!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I feel my age (49) every time I miss out on a TF or something because instead of typing "tf plz", I send someone a missive from the front...single spaced.

• Like 3

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

7 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

I feel my age (49) every time I miss out on a TF or something because instead of typing "tf plz", I send someone a missive from the front...single spaced.

Must be something about verging on 50 (hitting that benchmark this year myself) that brings out our loquacious and verbose nature because I totally resemble this remark. 🤣

Of course economical word count was never my strong suit in the first place.

• Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I turned 50 in 2019 and absolutely nobody at the party my spouse arranged for me got it when I shouted DING! and challenged them all to run to Atlas Park and level up with Miss Liberty.

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 3

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I played back in i5, don't exactly remember when that was...but now I'm 26. It's really hitting me just how fast that bugger flies!

• Like 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

53 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

I played back in i5, don't exactly remember when that was...but now I'm 26. It's really hitting me just how fast that bugger flies!

Issue 5 was August 2005, so you were playing... at 8 years old? Dang, here I thought I started young having been in high school at launch.

Also, found a screenshot for this thread!

screenshot_230307-11-29-17.thumb.jpg.04f3947a12a151f6f9107f4912d08ed3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

3 hours ago, El D said:

Issue 5 was August 2005, so you were playing... at 8 years old? Dang, here I thought I started young having been in high school at launch.

If I recall correctly, Pepsiman was pretty young when they started playing back on Legacy.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

coincidentally I was editing my profile a couple of days ago and noticed that somehow these forums had decided that I was born on Jan 19th 1921. I know I'm old but I didn't even get a card from the late Queen

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:38 AM, El D said:

Also, found a screenshot for this thread!

screenshot_230307-11-29-17.thumb.jpg.04f3947a12a151f6f9107f4912d08ed3.jpg

Back in my day we had to go up n down the Hollows...both ways!

Nurse: oookay granpa, now could you please just place your bingo chip?

And yep! With parent supervision ofc. I mean, all I really did was run around with whacky toons and get em into their teens at most. Wasn't until years later I got a 50.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I'll be 59 at the end of March.

• Like 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Sadly there were friends I played with in game back on live who were in their late fifties so you know that some of them passed before being able to once more play.

Pours one out for the original Doctor Finetush, my best friend in game.💔

• Sad 3

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)