Are Bots Really Becoming a Problem?

Solarverse

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

That was when I found out the real reason they didn't want us on the team, the accusations of being a player with a bot started flying, calling me a liar, telling me I was being dishonest, telling me that I am stupid and being deceptive.

1. That person is an obvious doodie head.

2. I don't think bots are or ever have been a problem but some people who came to CoH from other games where bots are a problem might think that happens here too.

I'd be pleased as peaches to have a pair of incarnate Elec/Energy Tanks on a kill-most ITF. Y'all could pull twice as many traitors for the harvesting!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ninja surprise said:

I don't think bots are or ever have been a problem

There might have been a time, when CoH was still live, that farmers used bots to speed up the process of gathering rewards to sell on the RMT market, but in general, I don't think CoH ever rose to the level of popularity for it to become a real problem...

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

What's wrong with WifeBots?

Luminary.webp.1e10fae6f9924183881efb337ba16d88.webp

You tell me... [I should warn you, this is a massive movie spoiler]

Spoiler

The Stepford Wives.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

39 minutes ago, biostem said:

There might have been a time, when CoH was still live, that farmers used bots to speed up the process of gathering rewards to sell on the RMT market, but in general, I don't think CoH ever rose to the level of popularity for it to become a real problem...

That's what I was thinking. I do recall some gold-farming accounts on live, but since this game is even less popular now than on live, and, well, is a private server and not a live game, our currency is virtually worthless outside of the game. The only conceivable reason I can think of for making a bot account is to make farming easier so people can power-level a little bit faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

3 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

The only conceivable reason I can think of for making a bot account is to make farming easier so people can power-level a little bit faster.

I mean, all you need is 1 farming character, then you just roll anything you want on an alternate account and dual-box.  Don't even need to follow or autofire anything...

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

I mean, all you need is 1 farming character, then you just roll anything you want on an alternate account and dual-box.  Don't even need to follow or autofire anything...

That's what I'm saying. Farming in this game is already easy, so there's no real demand for bot accounts. You could use one to auto-cast buffs on your farmer, but it would be a lot of effort for minimal returns. Outside of that, I can't think of any other reason to have a bot account.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Sorry this happened to you @Solarverse

I was on that team, and was wondering why both tanks suddenly dropped.  We figured it was because the leader was taking so long to try and fill.

For what it’s worth, the leader disco’d during the 2nd (maybe 3rd) mish, and never returned.

Also, I don’t know if this person was just having a bad day, but I’ve run with him/her plenty of times and it’s always been smooth.  They’ve always been nice, and I’ve always happily joined on of their ITFs.

Thanks, Ghost, really appreciate that. I checked the global name and like you, I had run with this one before. Kind of a serious type from what I can recall, but as you said, smooth. Odd thing is, if they wanted us to prove we weren't botting, I am sure we could have thought of something to prove that it was two separate people playing. Could've should've but didn't, heh.

10 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

You're clearly a robot in disguise!!!!!!!

Now why on Earth do you have to play the theme song to the only movie to ever make me cry?

P.S. I take that back, A.I. made me cry too, heh. And look, I'm a big burly tough dude, I don't cry easily, but damn...those two movies, if they don't jerk tears in your eyes, you simply aren't human, lol.

Edited by Solarverse
typo
  • Haha 1

• Game Master

I think there is some confusion. Bots are automated game play, multiboxing is running multiple alts. You can do both of course but it's very rare. Many people multibox for various reasons but I've rarely encountered it in non AE teams. The few times I have It's either the team leader or someone who has asked the team leader for permission. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to sneak a second alt in by pretending to be separate people.

As for the leader of your particular team, his loss I think. Good tanks can make a massive difference when things go south. Ask you to prove it if they are really bothered. It's pretty obvious when it's 2 people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

I think there is some confusion. Bots are automated game play, multiboxing is running multiple alts. You can do both of course but it's very rare. Many people multibox for various reasons but I've rarely encountered it in non AE teams. The few times I have It's either the team leader or someone who has asked the team leader for permission. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to sneak a second alt in by pretending to be separate people.

As for the leader of your particular team, his loss I think. Good tanks can make a massive difference when things go south. Ask you to prove it if they are really bothered. It's pretty obvious when it's 2 people.

I would think alt boxing would be too obvious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been accused of being a Botter, to cheating, exploiting, and more, when all I am doing is playing multiple accounts, with follow and 1 power on autocast that ISN'T haste. (Some people seem genuinely shocked that you can put almost any power on autocast, even PBAOEs.) 

Personally, I put it down to people being mistaken, unimaginative, or simply have very loose definitions for what is botting. I use no keylogger, no multiple screens, no automated programs, etc. I have never used those things and wouldn't know how to even begin. (I'm actually not very computer savvy.) But honestly, you can multibox in CoH without much trouble at all, just making 2-3 accounts, put your main character on follow, and pick your autopower. Seriously, that's it. All I alt tab to do is refresh buff or pop an incarnate power.

I can think of only one legitimate time I suspected of another player actually botting, and that was when I encountered 1 person playing 5 Crabberminds, and they all acted in unison. They all turned at the same time, flew up and down at the same time, all used the same powers, at the same time. Like it was synchronized dancing. When I multibox, its always the same power on auto, and there is always a bit of lag, like when I travel for instance. My boxed characters are 2-3 seconds behind me to catch up, they don't move or do the same thing at the exact same time. And for those wondering, synchronized characters vs multiboxing is kind of blatantly obvious to spot, but I can understand how some might get confused if all they have seen are multiboxers vs an actual Botter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Thanks, Ghost, really appreciate that. I checked the global name and like you, I had run with this one before. Kind of a serious type from what I can recall, but as you said, smooth. Odd thing is, if they wanted us to prove we weren't botting, I am sure we could have thought of something to prove that it was two separate people playing. Could've should've but didn't, heh.

Nah. Teams aren't so rare you should have to go through some type of legitimacy test to play. And no team leader is so good anyone should feel they have to be this tall to ride or anything.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I think the team lead probably meant multi-box alt and not a true bot when they used the term.  I can understand the question,  but any answer that conveys the message of its 2 unique people should have been the end of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

I think the team lead probably meant multi-box alt and not a true bot when they used the term.  I can understand the question,  but any answer that conveys the message of its 2 unique people should have been the end of it.

I would RATHER have a multi boxer on my team than half the people that show up.  Have you read some of my PUG stories?  Okay, most go way better than the ones I call out, but still...

Let me walk you through my logic.  If a gamer wants to multi box they have enough invested in the game to try something like that.  That increases the chances they have an idea what to do.  If a gamer can successfully pull this off they have passed a test, low bar, but still.  This further increases the likelihood they have an idea what to do.  Or can follow instructions.  

You have a Tank and a bot tank following you blasting 1 AoE.  Not optimal, but on a 4/8 ITF not a bad idea.  Soaks up a LOT of agro.  Now I just kill the surgeons and wait for the melt.

But this "leader" did not believe the players response "no bots" then did not want "two identical tanks" bots or not.  F-ing moron.

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bots are good at repetitive tasks, like executing attack chains or calculating things(for example, which available power has the most DPS). They can't get tired, angry, or scared, but they are stupid.

My bots would often run into walls while desperately trying to attack a Tsoo Sorcerer, who had teleported away into a nearby room. Other times, they got stuck on a small overturned chair, a broken concrete pillar, or a flimsy wooden door that was slightly ajar. My bots also made too many suicidal charges to a nearby mob at the other side of the map because one of its members, according to their POV, is the closest to them.

In short, if you see someone constantly mimicking their teammates, it is probably a newbie with a confidence issue or a multiboxer. If you see someone acting like a lobotomized patient, it is probably a bot. I've rarely encountered the latter.

5 hours ago, Neiska said:

I can think of only one legitimate time I suspected of another player actually botting, and that was when I encountered 1 person playing 5 Crabberminds, and they all acted in unison.

I once tried to sync my bots. I couldn't do it. Not for long. Usually, one of their attacks would miss, and the bot would use a different power than its teammate. Another factor is the distance to the target. One bot would often be closer to the enemies, which made it attack sooner than its teammate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never seen anyone I thought was a bot in game. Dualboxing sure, but always a player somewhere at the helm. I have seen too many jerks though in recent years. I blame antisocial media for the cultural decline in general kindness and manners.

For all the fear and drama around AIs though now, I would be curious to see someone teach an AI to play CoH, and would definitely be interested to see how they play and interact with everyone.

14 hours ago, Neiska said:

I can think of only one legitimate time I suspected of another player actually botting, and that was when I encountered 1 person playing 5 Crabberminds, and they all acted in unison. They all turned at the same time, flew up and down at the same time, all used the same powers, at the same time. Like it was synchronized dancing.

There are keyboard and mouse splitters, allowing you to pass the same keyboard and mouse functions to several computers at once. I would think that it wouldn't work well for interior missions because of movement slop, but for street-sweeping and instanced outdoor missions, it would probably work okay. Why someone would put that kind of investment into farming CoH, however, is beyond me.