Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #48: There can be only one (if you could only have one toon, which one do you keep?)

SeraphimKensai

Welcome back for another weekly discussion. This week I was inspired as I watched a couple episodes of the old Highlander TV show recently. That's right we're the princes of the universe... of all your characters, if you could only keep one, which one do you keep? What's it's AT powersets, which pool sets did you take, epic/patron pool? What is it about this character that made you spare it your divine wrath? How often do you actually play it compared to your other characters?.

As always thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

IMG_1877.thumb.jpeg.8536ec441309e46efdcd49519962c06e.jpeg

This is tough.

But if I had only one choice.

It would be my Blaster named Battle Smoke

He's got Beam Rifle / Devices / Munitions Mastery

Flight / Leadership / Fighting / Speed

I would keep him for one single reason, my band recorded a song named Battle Smoke, so as everyone knows, Every good hero has his own theme music.

I play that toon pretty often compared to all my others.

Edited by liveevil2000
  • Like 1

Probably The Pink Bampfer, Savage/Shield stalker who's got all the BAMPF one can shoehorn into a toon.  So much fun.  But then I also have another stalker, Thorns/Dark who's tough enough to tank during MSRs - also fun!  But my Savage/Ice Dom is pretty tough too!  Err... I'll come back...

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

It would have to be Healix. She was my very first toon created (April, 2004) and I learned everything on her. CoX was my very first MMORPG. I made her short and put the 'saucer' hat on her because no one else used it. I chose the healer AT because I loved the idea of helping teammates stay healthy and alive.

rCnor0Q.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

If I could get my name back (High Beam) I would recreate her and it would be her because of all of the memories from live.

Otherwise it would be Di Di Guns, My DP/MC Blaster which was my first HC 50 and my first ever Blapper and as a whole fun as hell.  Not a damn thing I would change about her build.

• Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

8 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

if you could only keep one, which one do you keep?

tumblr_mf7h9fsvRL1rvzu9do1_400.gif

9fa78c730f2d8b53487cb296fdb644057267b6b9

What is it about this character that made you spare it your divine wrath?

it-doesnt-work-like-that-not-how-it-work

How often do you actually play it compared to your other characters?

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Dark Dark Brute.  It is my signature vampire toon.  I think Dark Invul Brute is tougher, but Dark Dark is thematic.  I think Dark Dark is slightly better on a Brute than a Tank.  My thinking is your survivability is almost the same on a Brute.  With my build and playstyle at least.  Someone posted they used my build and could not keep the thing alive in 4/8.  I have used it to Tank Rom in a Master Miss Liberty.  Twice.  It can be put down, but played well that is rare.  Unless you try a Really Hard Way Magi with it.  That last fight is tough for long animation attack Dark Dark with a resist set lol.  The damage is better on the Brute vs Tank, and due to the non suppressing stealth I find the Dark Armor set lends itself more naturally to the Brute AT vs the Tank AT.  Who wants a Tank that struggles to get agro?  I have an Ice Armor Tank that can look sideways at a room and pull 70 mobs. (well, it feels like that anyways...)

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 3

Based on what I keep coming back to, it's the KR Devil. AR/Tac Arrow. I'm a fan of The Row (I set a lot of my AE stories there), so there's that. Outside that, he's a plain-garbed, fairly quick ground-bound vigilante who's simple to run and can provide a lot of options via the Arrow set. Mirrors the type of comics supers I like -- "low-powered" folks who tend toward the grim and gritty, but will ultimately do the "right thing" (as I imagine him). 

image.png.84bd0daa95b63b04b3eb1e37733ceae9.png

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

If I could have only one character...

I'd log out and just RP the lot on Discord or something. One character's just boring. Too many stories out there to tell.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

C'mon, I can't even pick my best scrapper!

Seriously, I started culling my characters last year.  I've managed to dip under 100, but I just added a few and back to 110.  (high of 200)

I might be able to choose my favorite top 20...

Probably my EM/Bio scrapper, Roboko Nano. She's got a fun background story and a super fun power set combo (big burst damage really activates my monkey brain). Bio is also fun since you actively keep yourself alive, and it gives you even more damage. Plus having a +recovery auto early game is a nice luxury. The main downside is exemplaring is a bit rough since you don't have many attacks. But at least it's not ice lol. 

9 hours ago, lemming said:

Seriously, I started culling my characters last year.  I've managed to dip under 100, but I just added a few and back to 110.  (high of 200)

I might be able to choose my favorite top 20...

I've been culling as well.  Mostly challenge characters that I was bored with the challenge.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

I'd miss a lot of my crew, both here and on Paragon... Palrah, Nemissary, Shonokin, Kai... But if I could only keep one, it would always be Grey Kestrel, (Either the original nightmare of a Stalker that's on Paragon, or the more recent Scrapper rebuild that I have here on Homecoming-) She's as close to a real "main" character as I've ever had. 

She's Dual Blade/Willpower/Mu in both incarnations, with a perma-summoned Adept partner. 

KesAndCardinalOnTheRooftop.jpg

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

This is a really tough call between my two Kheldians:

My Peacebringer is a character inspired by my kids. My Warshade is inspired by a friend who... damn, I can't think about it without tearing up. Knowing the person she was and how much we love each other's kids, she would tell me to keep the Peacebringer.

I have lots of toons that are Pre-Snap returns, are absolute beasts, and hold sentimental value. I would hate to lose them, but as far as only one, they do not even make the podium.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

I've been thinking about how I would answer my own questions on this for a few days and it's tough to whittle it down to just one toon.

• I mean on CoH Beta and live my first toon was an Elec/elec blaster that I had no clue what the hell I was doing and the think essentially lived at the debt cap so it took forever and a day to level. I remember that first time hitting lvl 6 and trying to hover over the wall to Perez Park only to agro a group of lost inside and get immediately killed and have to run back from Atlas again. That toon didn't get remade on Homecoming.
  • On live I was reasonably well known at least on my home server as an Empath. I probably have the more hours logged on that Empath than I have on my farmers and I used to farm for money on live. My emp was reimagined as a Mastermind for Homecoming, but it does.
  • Anyone that knows me reasonably well knows that my favorite comic books are Spawn, Venom, and Green Lantern. Given that I was all about Kheldians from the day they came out. I might not of had the most playtime on them due to me being an avid PvPer on live, but when the game went dark Kheldians were the ATs I missed most. Between PBs and WSs, I've always been more of a Warshade fan which I chalk up to me being a Spawn/venom fan for something darker, but still traveling around space like a Green Lantern. Once Homecoming was opened up the first characters I made was a WS on each of the servers.

I have approximately 200 lvl 50s on Homecoming at this point, but I think even though it it's not the meta at anything, of I had to delete all but one, I'd keep my Warshade on Everlasting even though it might not get the most playtime. As that's the AT I missed most when the game was shut down.

Funny aside, I made my Warshade back in 2019, prior to Baldur's Gate 3 going into EA. Since that game has come out and many of you have probably played it, my Warshade shares a name with a companion in BG3.

*tries to hide two more in my back pocket before going through the security line*

I mean, if it was a matter of choosing 3, I think we'd all be OK.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Senses a great disturbance as if hundreds of altoholics cried out at once...

After careful consideration and deductive reasoning, I willl have to say Sonic/Dev -or- Sonic Blaster. 

I just enjoy that set for some reason and Dezebel and Audiodacity are my 2 favorite characters. 

Don't make me decide between them, please.  My heart! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1