A month of perma-night? Getting depressed lol

GamerKate

The Halloween event is cool but good god Paragon City is depressing being constantly dark. A whole month of darkness is too long I think. 

One of my GFs started playing recently too and we’re currently in a Striga and I don’t want her to think the game looks this gloomy all the time lol. 

Is there daytime anywhere in the game heroside for lvl 30 and under apart from Ouro?

MCM

Edited by MrCaptainMan
  • Like 1

Cimerora, The Hive and the Abyss are the only ones exempted. You could find missions with a daytime setting from contacts or from AE.

Or better yet build an AE Mission with a beautiful Sunny Landscape and just a glowie to complete the mission, It would give you something to cheer yourself up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

1 hour ago, MrCaptainMan said:

A whole month of darkness is too long I think. 

Never move to inside the Arctic Circle 😄😉

• Haha 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I think Outbreak is still daytime, so you could always cure your depression by going for the Isolator badge.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrCaptainMan said:

The Halloween event is cool but good god Paragon City is depressing being constantly dark. A whole month of darkness is too long I think. 

I agree...I already miss the sun...

Oh wait...what's that outside my window?  The light...the light....

But seriously, I do miss the sun in the game...

• Like 2

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

This is one of the main reasons I don't play red side that often: it's just too dreary.  It's sad that my SAD affects me in my virtual world, too. *sigh*

• Like 4

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Like I said in the OTHER thread on this subject... You guys get your "sunny City" eleven months out of the year. I think it's not too much to ask that you spare *ONE MONTH* for those of us like the change and who find the Perpetual Night appropriate for Halloween. 

If you just can't deal with it... Ouro and Cimerora are both locked in perpetual daylight. Go run an ITF, or do some  bashing for Marcus, or spend some time standing around with the Menders roleplaying.

(Edit to add: Living in the Pacific Northwest, I know all about the lack of light and the seasonal funk that is SAD. I have a daylight lamp sitting on my desk as I type this.  If the dark is getting to you, picking up one of those might help. I know the idea sounds silly to a lot of people, but even if the effect is purely a psychological one, they do help.)

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, MrCaptainMan said:

One of my GFs started playing recently too and we’re currently in a Striga and I don’t want her to think the game looks this gloomy all the time lol. 

Is there daytime anywhere in the game heroside for lvl 30 and under apart from Ouro?

MCM

play another game for the month.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

I wonder if this was why the old devs didn't run the event as long?

Not that I'm complaining, personally.  After so many years without it, it's nice to have a little more time.  But I can see how it might feel a little taxing.

On another note, were the Halloween decorations in a lot of the building windows something from the old days?  I don't remember that at all, but I like it.

12 hours ago, Chuckers said:

TBH, I never noticed perpetual darkness, but in all seriousness, are the days actually shorter during the Halloween event? 

Who can tell without the sun...though I suspect the internal game clock is the same 1 hr = 1 day interval It always is 

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

8 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

On another note, were the Halloween decorations in a lot of the building windows something from the old days?  I don't remember that at all, but I like it.

Pretty sure they're new.  Wonderful, too!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Ok so it is true. *LOL*

I didn't notice because it's basically Skyrim Night out there, so there's no reduced visibility for me to notice, and also because I have crushing altitis and spend all my time on low level toons. Since those low level toons are usually grinding radio missions, they're always jumping into Safeguard missions which are fully lit, which is probably enough for my mind to figure there's a day/night cycle and nothing untoward to notice.

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

Not meaning to disparage anyone . . . but perhaps adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings on your display will help?  I have to dim my monitors' settings normally because the game is generally too bright for my crappy ocular globs.  Like many others, I really appreciate the Hallowe'en Event's easier-to-see visuals.

3 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Not meaning to disparage anyone . . . but perhaps adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings on your display will help?  I have to dim my monitors' settings normally because the game is generally too bright for my crappy ocular globs.  Like many others, I really appreciate the Hallowe'en Event's easier-to-see visuals.

I'm fine with this suggestion, but I will hotly contest, that night provides easier to see visuals.

I have over 3000 Screenshots I've taken in the last month for a project, and the only ones that I consistently have to adjust the brightness and contrast for are nightime shots.  In some cases, the game will not even render contrast for some NPC's at night.  They are essentially dopplegangers (all black, no contrast).

The night itself doesn't bother me too much, it's the crappy visuals it presents that are frustrating to me.

All that said, I'm not going to not play because of it.  Conversely, no one who is supporting the event is going to stop playing without that.  I liked the idea of Fr-Su all night, all the time in October, and the entire week of Halloween all night, all the time.  It is a superhero game, not a nighttime monster shooter, after all...

EDIT:  I'm withdraw the suggestion that because it's a superhero game it should be bright and shiny, because I've come up with 20 examples in my own head of grim, gritty, work at night heroes since I posted this.  I stand by the rest, because CoH doesn't do a good job with night time visuals, but I've no contextual problem with it being night, just a technical one.

Edited by justicebeliever
Made a bad suggestion in PART of this thread
  • Like 1

I never understood why people get so moody so quickly when things shift into "slightly different" territory.

Same thing happens when it gets really hot or cold: "This weather is painful! I'm drenched in sweat!", "Nope, it's freezing. I'm staying inside!"

Or gosh forbid, both: "I hate this place! The weather is so bi-polar!"

Here's a trick to help you get by with the change to night (or acclimating to changing weather).  Just remember, it's only temporary.  Embrace it.  When daytime comes back to Atlas, it will look all the more bright for it.

Of course, this whole subject could just be hyperbole (I'll bet it is) and no depression is being triggered at all and someone just wanted to chat about people's feelings about the new day/night cycle.  That's probably the case in general and me being the person to constantly think and consider what people talk about to such a debilitating degree that I can't reliably hold a random conversation about trivialities because of it.

• Sad 1