I agree that it should just have a longer warning period.  Have it work like this:

Imagine you had a PBAoE buff, akin to Healing Aura, but it granted Flight for X amount of seconds.  Now imagine that it was auto-cast with a cooldown of a few seconds.

Okay, that final effect?  Make it so you get it from a toggle.  That's how it should be.

How about have it a power that pulses and grants a timed fly buff to everyone inside its pulse range. Then just have it pulse once a second and have the buff last like 4 minutes or something. If a teammate stays close their buff is constantly refreshed, but if they leave then they are on a timer till fly runs out. Obviously players should be able to cancel the buff at any time once they are no longer in range. 

It needs a prompt like TP and Mystic Fortune have.  "Do you want to be affected by Group Fly?" yes or no.  If no then you're fine, if yes then you're screwed when you get out of range.  That takes care of the problem and if you team with someone with the power frequently then you can go to Null and change the option just like TP and Mystic Fortune.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

How about have it a power that pulses and grants a timed fly buff to everyone inside its pulse range. Then just have it pulse once a second and have the buff last like 4 minutes or something. If a teammate stays close their buff is constantly refreshed, but if they leave then they are on a timer till fly runs out. Obviously players should be able to cancel the buff at any time once they are no longer in range. 

I was coming here to suggest something pretty similar, although I was thinking it should wear off in pulses, so when fly wears off (weather it's 4 minutes, or 40 seconds like I was originally thinking) you get a pulse of half speed fly for 10 seconds to start making your way to the ground, and one final pulse for 10 seconds of flight at "hover slotted for flight speed" before it finally wears off all the way. Also if it's not a 4 minute pulse, maybe give a warning when you're getting near the edge of the flight field so you can try to re-orient.

• 3 years later

So can we still talk about Group Fly?

Justifying the pick and endurance cost to take it is hard enough, but it still sucks balls and needs a rework. Increase the radius, give the caster slightly less flyspeed than everyone else gets.

I can't even use it properly with pets its so sad.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

58 minutes ago, Raikao said:

Justifying the pick and endurance cost to take it is hard enough, but it still sucks balls and needs a rework. Increase the radius, give the caster slightly less flyspeed than everyone else gets.

You...

Just won the zombie internets...

• Haha 3

On 8/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, Raikao said:

So, you did it wrong. Rather than use the search function to see if a topic has already been discussed and then add to that, you're supposed to create a whole new post on the same topic. See: "Level 50 Token"

Honestly, I say get rid of Group Fly for a number of reasons, and just have fly also work on pets. Anyone who doesn't have fly and needs it can get a jetpack.

Edited by Oklahoman
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

So, you did it wrong. Rather than use the search function to see if a topic has already been discussed and then add to that, you're supposed to create a whole new post on the same topic. See: "Level 50 Token"

Honestly, I saw get rid of Group Fly for a number of reasons, and just have fly also work on pets. Anyone who doesn't have fly and needs to fly can get a jetpack.

Yea, probably bringing up a dead topic about a power that was changed in the meantime, is probably not the best.

If above, replace Group fly with a "Grant Fly"?   Would work similar to Grant Invisibility.  Would at least cut down on these threads and complaints?

7 hours ago, Raikao said:

100%. 

It's completely pointless and annoys your friends. Why would anybody use, let alone pick it? It's the low bar.

If it were me, I'd make it work on all your own pets, regardless of range - which would give it a purpose but only for a few classes. 

Then I'd look at replacing it entirely with something fun. Perhaps move afterburner into the pool instead of having it on that annoying popup. Why should you get that free? That's USEFUL.

Hey there's the first thing I'd do. Swap Group Fly into the annoying popup and afterburner in the pool. Easy peasy, problem solved.

... and that's just off the top of my head. I'm amazing!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Maybe a bit situational but has it's uses. Arachnos/Rikti Flyer, Hammi, getting imps into the air vs trying to get flyers to the ground.

My issue with group fly is it blocks the use of any power that requires the user to be on the ground. This includes things like Hotfeet, Power Drones, and some melee attacks (including t9's).

Leaving me, if I am on one of those characters to have to leave the area to activate the power.

The random on/off as we move between and in missions is annoying as well.

I get wanting it on a pet heavy character though.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I think it should summon a really big quinjet that divides into smaller pods (and some of the pods have ray guns that go FREEEEEEEM!)

[my opinion of group fly can best be illustrated by the fact that I turn it off via Null the Gull for every character I have]

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 minute ago, cranebump said:

I think it should summon a really big quinjet that divides into smaller pods (and some of the pods have ray guns that go FREEEEEEEM!)

[my opinion of group fly can best be illustrated by the fact that I turn it off via Null the Gull for every character I have]

I second this! FREEEEEM!

@Etched

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lemming said:

Yea, probably bringing up a dead topic about a power that was changed in the meantime, is probably not the best.

If above, replace Group fly with a "Grant Fly"?   Would work similar to Grant Invisibility.  Would at least cut down on these threads and complaints?

Oooo GRANT fly...

Now that's a superb idea!

6 hours ago, lemming said:

Maybe treat it like Inertial reduction instead - have it be a PBAoE that grants flight for a few minutes to all allies in-range.

7 hours ago, Herotu said:

100%. 

It's completely pointless and annoys your friends. Why would anybody use, let alone pick it? It's the low bar.

If it were me, I'd make it work on all your own pets, regardless of range - which would give it a purpose but only for a few classes. 

Then I'd look at replacing it entirely with something fun. Perhaps move afterburner into the pool instead of having it on that annoying popup. Why should you get that free? That's USEFUL.

Hey there's the first thing I'd do. Swap Group Fly into the annoying popup and afterburner in the pool. Easy peasy, problem solved.

... and that's just off the top of my head. I'm amazing!

So, one problem with raise from the dead threads are when the powers get patched in the *checks notes* 3 years that the thread was started.

• image.png.a9de0837a33cf33379309a4bbfe9e4d0.png Group Fly
    • This power now applies to all pets regardless of their distance from the caster
    • No longer inaccurately claims it applies -Acc

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lemming said:

So, one problem with raise from the dead threads are when the powers get patched in the *checks notes* 3 years that the thread was started.

• image.png.a9de0837a33cf33379309a4bbfe9e4d0.png Group Fly
    • This power now applies to all pets regardless of their distance from the caster
    • No longer inaccurately claims it applies -Acc

Ah, perfect! Good job you. And the developers.

• Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, Raikao said:

Can we talk about how ridiculous it is to necro a thread this old instead of making a new one?

Christ, people.  What's next, asking if the beta's going to run on your 8088? Responding to a newspaper article mentioning the Barbary pirates? Giving your opinion on that William guy from Normandy?

• Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

43 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Can we talk about how ridiculous it is to necro a thread this old instead of making a new one?

Christ, people.  What's next, asking if the beta's going to run on your 8088? Responding to a newspaper article mentioning the Barbary pirates? Giving your opinion on that William guy from Normandy?

spacer.png

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

21 hours ago, lemming said:

If above, replace Group fly with a "Grant Fly"?

Misread this as GIANT FLY and oh man, now I want that pet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝