The name of Infinite Corona (Excelsior) was reset

czis

be careful if your hero has "corona" in its name. it must violate the code of conduct passage "Anything involving sensitive events, both current and historical"

what makes this painful is it was a great cosmic name for a warshade, created before self-quarantining.  but it did take on another dimension when everything changed and many, including myself, are stuck at home

Dont bash gamemasters over this silliness, they have to deal with enough and we dont pay them salaries.

• Like 6

May I suggest "Coriolis" or "Aurora" as alternatives?

Sympathies, I wish we all never had to worry about it.

OTOH, makes for a very bad beer. Dos Equis or even Tecate suggested as alternatives.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If you made the name before this happened, you might try to ping a GM to reconsider. You're right, it is against the code of conduct. But much like folks who made videos before the change in their ToS, I dont think you can be punished for something made before the fact. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Corona = The outermost event surface of a star

= An imported Beer that apparently requires a lime to be palatable 

= An Alias used by the Eternal Thena (Marvel ), soon to be played by Angelina Jolie Voight

= City of Corona, CA

= The Projecting part of a Classic Cornice, ( Architecture )

= Something suggesting a Crown

= An appendage or series of appendages on the inner side of the Corolla of some Flowers

= A long Cigar with the sides straight to the end to be lit and roundly blunt at the other end

= Garland worn on the Head as a mark of Honor or emblem of Majesty

= An Automobile manufactured by Toyota Corporation from 1957 - 2001

I don't think any of these are going away any time soon, nor should they. 

A character named CoVID whatever should be Renamed, and should never have been named, but banning the word "Corona" itself is questionable.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

7 hours ago, Nayeh said:

There was a statement awhile back about it. You can't have Covid-19 related names.

Besides, we're all sick of talking about it so leave it out of the game.

Corona has nothing to do with COVID-19, the sun has one, its a word which means "Crown" and its a part of a Star.

If someones name is just "Corona" and the character bears no resemblence to a disease theme, leave it alone or you are being a moron.

• Like 6

Corona is just the Latin for 'crown', the source of all of those other  uses.  It is the origin of English 'crown', and I think the word passes without change into Italian and Spanish. 

• Thanks 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Language evolves and words change meaning.   It was a pretty cool cosmic-sounding name.   But now it sounds like a comment on the current state of the world.  A re-name is warranted.   

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

57 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Corona is just the Latin for 'crown',

And "gay" just means happy. Only we all know it doesn't because language changes.

I was super pleased with Corona Borealis - named after the star and with a backstory I was proud of. Alas.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Language evolves and words change meaning.   It was a pretty cool cosmic-sounding name.   But now it sounds like a comment on the current state of the world.  A re-name is warranted.   

The meaning of the word corona itself has not changed. Corona and coronavirus are two different words with two different meanings, both of which have existed for many years. Corona is still a perfectly good word on its own, especially when it is used in its appropriate context.

Coronavirus got its name because when viewed under a microscope, it appears to have a corona, similar to stars. Using the term in reference to the virus can be viewed as a negative; using the term in reference to a star or other objects that have coronas is still perfectly appropriate.

However, the HC team faces the dilemma of having to police each use of the word individually to see whether it is being misused or not, and they probably do not have the resources to do so. In that case, a blanket nerfing of the word is logical, if unfortunate.

• Like 1

I think getting uppity about words is just silly. Context and intent matter, and few words automatically fail that test (and even some of those are "acceptable" if you're in "the right circle", whatever that means).

Chances are, it's not worth dev time/resources to check context and intent on all uses of a word, so it's just disallowed outright. Unfortunate, but if you can't convince the people making the decision that it's worth their time to care, they aren't going to,

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

most come here to escape reality.  Now I will get back to the Wound Licker and continue my reign of terror

• Haha 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

5 hours ago, nightroarer said:

The meaning of the word corona itself has not changed. Corona and coronavirus are two different words with two different meanings, both of which have existed for many years. Corona is still a perfectly good word on its own, especially when it is used in its appropriate context.

Coronavirus got its name because when viewed under a microscope, it appears to have a corona, similar to stars. Using the term in reference to the virus can be viewed as a negative; using the term in reference to a star or other objects that have coronas is still perfectly appropriate.

However, the HC team faces the dilemma of having to police each use of the word individually to see whether it is being misused or not, and they probably do not have the resources to do so. In that case, a blanket nerfing of the word is logical, if unfortunate.

The letters O and J are just letters.   And together OJ used to just mean Orange Juice.  Then it also became associated with a really good football player and was a very positive thing.  Now it refers to a murderer and is a very bad thing.   You can talk about the origin of a word and the dictionary definitions of a word, but that's not what gives a word it's meaning.  It's what people think when they hear it that gives a word it's meaning.  For this generation and time, "Corona" will be forever associated with the virus. 

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

For this generation and time, "Corona" will be forever associated with the virus. 

It's a little early to make that call. It won't mean that for me, ever. It is certainly not the first thing I think of when I hear the word.

But I am not willing to project my own perception on what "this generation" will think.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, czis said:

Dont bash gamemasters over this silliness, they have to deal with enough and we dont pay them salaries.

OP nailed it, and is dealing with it with both aplomb and gravitas.  We should all do so well.  Cheers to you Sir/Madam/Other!

• Like 3

Who run Bartertown?

16 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

No, the name change is not warranted and you are not the arbiter of when it is warranted. the word Corona as a character name for a character who's bio and power theme is not disease related is fine, and forcing them to change it is the act of an idiot.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, czis said:

Absolutely agree. 

While you may be able to appeal it, I... probably wouldn't bother... because what's gonna happen?  Either it'll keep being brought back to thier attention by people who don't know it' predates this whole mess, OR, they'd say something like, "look...we'll restore the name... but please just dont' play this cahracter for half a year or until a vaccine is found."

It's not worth even trying to appeal, I think.

22 hours ago, Black Zot said:

That's because it's been a dead language for that long.

In and of itself, I suppose. As the basis for numerous other languages. It’s pretty much alive and kicking.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.