Zone Travel Updates in Issue 27

Jimmy

5 minutes ago, cohRock said:

What is "second chance functionality"?

Allows you to click LRT, look at the list of destinations, decide not to select one yet, close the list, and not have the power go on cooldown immediately.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The second chance functionality is exactly the thing which prevents it from going on cooldown if you close the menu. What you may be seeing is it going on cooldown if you use the power, close the menu, and then zone through another method. This is intended - well, not exactly intended, but not really something that can be solved.

Then we need another way to access the list to see what zones we have access to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

You had access to bases (which had fewer and less convenient drop-off points than they now have). 

That's a matter of opinion; many have expressed that they preferred the old drop-off points, or at least having the variety of drop-off points for different transport methods.

Just as one example, one of my frequent destinations was Steel Canyon.  The base teleport dropoff was near the North Tram station.  Between the locations near that dropoff, and what I could easily get to by taking the Tram to the South end, I could get to all of my most common destinations faster than I can now with the dropoff at the center of the map.  At least for SC, the current situation is less convenient.

• Like 1

So, really this all boils down to the current HC team deciding what they wanted to do and they did it.

Per their posts, it won't change, they are convinced they are doing the the right thing.

Welcome to the world of rogue servers where amateur implementations take simple things players love and turn them into convoluted messes and call it progress.

IMO, the HC team does some great work.

The teleportation re-vamp is not, IMO.

A bad plan is bad plan even if it's implemented with love.

But since HC has decided they are in control, then we all just have to follow along like good lemmings, it would seem.

48 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I do agree we need to find a good way to show the list of zones you do and do not have access to without needing to put the power on cooldown.

It should be fairly easy to tack a submenu onto the fast travel menu that uses the LockedOption mechanic to see if a zone has been unlocked as a destination, since the Badge parameter can take multiple badge tags. Something like:

LockedOption
{
	DisplayName "Atlas Park"
	Command ""
	Badge AtlasParkTour1 AtlasParkTour2 AtlasParkTour3 AtlasParkTour4 AtlasParkTour5 AtlasParkTour6 AtlasParkTour7 AtlasParkTour8
}

Earning any one of the 8 AP explore badges would show 'Atlas Park' as available. It might need a little reminder at the top that the user needs the Passport badge as well. I'll see if I can come up with a prototype.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, Jimmy said:

It was previously possible to enter any map in the game, from any location, at any point in time - even mission maps, bases, and arena matches belonging to other players

DAMN I wish I had known about this!

I'd have one "voidwalker" character whose mission list, XP, and personal history were completely corrupted. He'd probably crash the client when I tried to load him.

But what fun!

Imagine zoning in to the tutorial zone as a 50 and telling the noobs, "Yeah, I levelled to 50 here in Outbreak. Keep at it, you'll get there."

OK, I'd probably have a banned account.

But I'd have some hilarious demorecords.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• City Council
45 minutes ago, majorprankster said:

Welcome to the world of rogue servers where amateur implementations take simple things players love and turn them into convoluted messes and call it progress.

Can you honestly say with a straight face that this exploit would've be left alone by a professional team?

Because that's absurd, even for you jubakumbi. It would've been removed immediately with no replacement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

10 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Your post is filled with a lot of inaccuracies. The ouroboros portal is still accessible, even more so now in fact. There are so many ways it can be unlocked, I would recommend you read the patch notes. Your other point about the jump pack, you are intentionally limiting yourself based on your own playstyle, but you're also complaining about how the way you play makes it not fun...? 

Your last bullet is also inaccurate. You can still use the /ebfp command, it's even more accessible now than before I would argue. 

The Homecoming volunteers are doing an amazing job maintaining the game and community. 

You say that my post is filled with inaccuracies. How?

How can a level 1 unlock Ouroboros? To get there, you need the "Entrusted with the Secret" badge. Maybe if it was unlocked prior to this patch, they could - but now it's impossible for a level 1 to get there solo (maybe by teaming with Earn XP turned off - but not solo). The way I described it, it's easy for a level 1 to get there.

The patch notes say that now both of the jump packs share the same global cooldown - which (to me) means that when one is on cooldown, the other is forced into cooldown. This makes it stupid to buy the other one as you can't use one while the other is on cooldown. I explained how and why I used them (to get a fly-like ability without using a power choice). I also stated that on the Live servers, I remember the long cooldown and I don't remember if they reduced it or the Discord servers did this.

What is the /ebfp command and how do you use it? Is it the same /enterbasefrompasscode? Now you have to be close to a base portal. How is this more accessible? It's more limiting IMHO. Take Independance Port - if you're in the lower-left corner, you have a very long run to get close enough to the base portal to use it. Before, you  could just use the command.

Edited by Mageman

• City Council
42 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

It should be fairly easy to tack a submenu onto the fast travel menu that uses the LockedOption mechanic to see if a zone has been unlocked as a destination, since the Badge parameter can take multiple badge tags. Something like:

LockedOption
{
	DisplayName "Atlas Park"
	Command ""
	Badge AtlasParkTour1 AtlasParkTour2 AtlasParkTour3 AtlasParkTour4 AtlasParkTour5 AtlasParkTour6 AtlasParkTour7 AtlasParkTour8
}

Earning any one of the 8 AP explore badges would show 'Atlas Park' as available. It might need a little reminder at the top that the user needs the Passport badge as well. I'll see if I can come up with a prototype.

Good idea!

I'll PM you the correct list of badges, because it's not a simple 1-8 list for each zone... and there's some spelling errors 🙃

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

5 minutes ago, Mageman said:

You say that my post is filled with inaccuracies. How?

How can a level 1 unlock Ouroboros? To get there, you need the "Entrusted with the Secret" badge. Maybe if it was unlocked prior to this patch, they could - but now it's impossible for a level 1 to get there solo (maybe by teaming with Earn XP turned off - but not solo). The way I described it, it's easy for a level 1 to get there.

The patch notes say that now both of the jump packs share the same global cooldown - which (to me) means that when one is on cooldown, the other is forced into cooldown. This makes it stupid to buy the other one as you can't use one while the other is on cooldown. I explained how and why I used them (to get a fly-like ability without using a power choice). I also stated that on the Live servers, I remember the long cooldown and I don't remember if they reduced it or the Discord servers did this.

What is the /ebfp command and how do you use it? Is it the same /enterbasefrompasscode? Now you have to be close to a base portal. How is this more accessible? It's more limiting IMHO.

Step 1: Take the TUNNEL system in Atlas Park or Mercy Island, or a SG base to Night Ward.  Enter the mansion.  Get the badge.

Step 2: Enter the Midnight Club mansion and head to Cimerora.  Grab either of the exploration badges in Cimerora.  Congratulations, you have a brand new Ouroboros Portal.  Use it with care.

/ebfp is just shorthand for /enterbasefrompasscode

Edited by Apparition
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Step 1: Take the TUNNEL system in Atlas Park or Mercy Island, or a SG base to Night Ward.  Enter the mansion.  Get the badge.

Step 2: Enter the Midnight Club mansion and head to Cimerora.  Grab either of the exploration badges in Cimerora.  Congratulations, you have a brand new Ouroboros Portal.  Use it with care.

You can also simply drop a portal yourself, then log off, then log in on a new character to enter it. In i27 they now stick around for 2 minutes even after you leave the zone.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Step 2: Enter the Midnighter mansion and head to Cimerora.  Grab either of the exploration badges in Cimerora.  Congratulations, you have a brand new Ouroboros Portal.  Use it with care.

Don't even need the Cimerora badge, simply entering the zone grants Entrusted.

• Like 1

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Good idea!

I'll PM you the correct list of badges, because it's not a simple 1-8 list for each zone... and there's some spelling errors 🙃

If you haven't already gone to the trouble, I have the full dataset of badge tags, I can just grab them out of there. Thanks!

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Mageman said:

The cooldown on the prestige jump jet/steam jump was reduced to 30s post-shutdown (I24-based servers still have the 90s cooldown). Your description of how and why you used them is at least part of the reason the cooldown was changed to be shared - if you owned those two powers you could chain them indefinitely and never touch the ground, which is normally something reserved for flight-type power picks (Hover, Mystic Flight, etc) or purchasable temp powers with finite durations.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

Has anyone else noticed if the progress bar in the Day Job badge window for the 2 Day Job TP powers is working? When I checked last I couldn't find it in my list, the badge or the progress bar.

There's no progress bar for that one since it's an accolade. If you get Patroller and Monitor Duty badges you'll get the accolade and start earning charges of both day job powers instead of just the base TP one.

• Thanks 1

• City Council
5 minutes ago, macskull said:

The cooldown on the prestige jump jet/steam jump was reduced to 30s post-shutdown (I24-based servers still have the 90s cooldown). Your description of how and why you used them is at least part of the reason the cooldown was changed to be shared - if you owned those two powers you could chain them indefinitely and never touch the ground, which is normally something reserved for flight-type power picks (Hover, Mystic Flight, etc) or purchasable temp powers with finite durations.

And to clarify, it was always meant to be a shared cooldown, it was just incredibly buggy and rarely worked (and sometimes broke the powers entirely... and also had an odd interaction with Phase Shift powers). i27 added functionality for easy shared cooldowns (see: Accolades), so it's now used for these as well.

Anyway - this thread is for teleportation, so let's stick to that 🙂

Well uhh technically the title is "Zone travel updates" and those powers let you travel in zones soooo 😁

• Haha 3

Honestly, posts that go like

1 hour ago, majorprankster said:

So, really this all boils down to the current HC team deciding what they wanted to do and they did it.

Per their posts, it won't change, they are convinced they are doing the the right thing.

are not really helpful on a thread at all.

Clear level-headed feedback is not that hard to give, or so I imagine/hope.

• Like 3

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

/ebfp is just shorthand for /enterbasefrompasscode

Would that it were!

I've suggested this in a few places, it would certainly be welcome. Since it's now an official command, could we get that as a QOL item?

/ebfp is way easier to type!

In terms of actual feedback for the changes, I've noted a few things that could use a look.

(Please feel free to skip, if you're just here for the drama.)

The descriptions for the Day Job powers that give Base TP abilities seem to reference "logging out in your base," which implies you earn the charge cookies by so doing.

We know that's incorrect, because it's where you are logging IN that the game checks. In many cases this doesn't matter, but in some it does. (Silly me for logging out at the Peregrine Island portal before the patch dropped, no cookies for me!)

That's an expected change, given the portal ran away from me. (I'm scary that way.)

But, there are a few wrinkles that should be made more clear:

Using the Base TP power to enter the base (and I think the SG Portal also) and then logging out -- IN your base -- drops you back at the location you entered the base from, once you log in again. Not near the Base portal, so no cookies for you!

This could be confusing. I like the fact it can be used to bookmark an arbitrary location, but is this the way we want this to work?

In any event, I'm seeing fewer drawbacks from these changes than I feared. I'm just hoping to streamline some of them.

Thanks, gang!

Edited by DoctorDitko
editing for editing's sake, honestly

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

What are you talking about?  You said the live devs never would've put anything like the fast travel stuff into the game, now you're saying they would.  pick one.  I never said anything about putting LRTP into the P2W store.  no idea where you've getting that from

Ok, I’ll slow it down so that you can catch up.😉

Using the original premise that you mentioned, if you think that the original Devs would have placed a /enterbasepasscode exploit in the Paragon Store, then would you please share whatever psychotropic refreshment that you are partaking in, because I would really love to see how it would affect my own outlook.🤣

• Haha 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

4 hours ago, tidge said:

LRT: Quality of Life Suggestion Follows

Can the LRT zone interface be modified such that the (accessible by alignment) zones a character does not have access to (because they have not collected the beacon badge) appear in a different font (such as red italic) rather than simply not appearing on the list?

Not only would this help players identify which badges they have not collected for the LRT power, but it would double as a nicer mechanism than scrolling through the Exploration tab of the badge window.

Good suggestion!

On 11/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, Uun said:

I don't think this has been suggested, but this is a long thread and I may have missed it. There's no easy way to see what zones you've unlocked for LRT without activating LRT (which then goes on cooldown for 10 minutes). Since exploration badges unlock zones for LRT, would it be possible for the exploration badge list in the badges tab to have headings added listing the zone or to append the zone name to the badge title? Alternatively, is there some way to list the zones unlocked without activating LRT?

Also a good suggestion. But devs, please don't change the badge titles that display below character names. A lot of the best badge titles for flavor come from exploration badges.

4 hours ago, tidge said:

LRT: Quality of Life Suggestion Follows

Can the LRT zone interface be modified such that the (accessible by alignment) zones a character does not have access to (because they have not collected the beacon badge) appear in a different font (such as red italic) rather than simply not appearing on the list?

Not only would this help players identify which badges they have not collected for the LRT power, but it would double as a nicer mechanism than scrolling through the Exploration tab of the badge window.

176px-Thumbs_up_icon_svg.png.6a4650eece0d4eb8f4b05d6385091c7c.png

badge window = /em puke

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum