Am I dreaming?

Bingo_Bob

Sometimes you don't know what you got til it's gone.

I may not have been a super avid CoH player. But once it was gone I could never find a MMORPG that could compare. I've always proclaimed this as being one of the best games I've ever played. 

I was just talking to a coworker. They said they were just getting back into WOW. I told them about CoH. They had never heard of it so we looked up the wiki page.

And to my surprise it said the server source code was released in 2019!!!

I'm scared. Is this for real? Am I dreaming? I'm afraid to play. What if it's not as sweet as my memories of this game.

I had a character named PeacePipe. He had long dreds and a tie-die shirt. I just ran around all the time joining random parties and healing anyone who would have me. I loved to target noobs who were going down into the sewers for their first time, and just heal them and answer their basic questions. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bingo_Bob said:

I'm scared. Is this for real? Am I dreaming? I'm afraid to play. What if it's not as sweet as my memories of this game.

It's great.

It's live.

Come on in and join is!

Great as it ever was...honestly, I think it is better now that there are no monetary charges to muddle things up.

Welcome home!

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Bingo_Bob said:

Nostalgia is powerful, but it was just as sweet as I remembered so there's a good chance you'll still find it so.  And yes, it is still the best MMO.

• Like 2

I had this same concern when I started playing again last year. I thought "the game-play isn't going to be as good as I remember." And, "I'll end up not liking it because the graphics are bad compared to what I've been playing for the last eight years."

I now have multiple 50's and 40+ other characters. Turns I that the graphics didn't matter and that I love playing the game just as much now as I did back then.

Welcome back to Paragon City! 🙂

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

welcome to Homecoming.  It has literally all the best gamers and very few of the worst.  (I may be in the 2nd category, time will tell)  seriously though this is the most hardcore and helpful crew of mmorpg geeks you will find.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

oh its back, and its glorious !!!

Not only that, but it's advancing.  New content, and revisions/improvements to some older content drop periodically, including the new Issue 27.

Europe is that way --> Reunion server

Excelsior server  <-- most populated server is that way

Roleplay is that way --> Everlasting server

Indomitable & Torchbearer --> earn some lovely participation trophies.  :classic_biggrin:   (J/K...put down those rocks.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah sweet memories, welcome home. You will probably want to check to guides section. While playing is sort of like riding a bike, there are things you forgot and new stuff you haven't seen before. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

6 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Wait til you hear the music in the login screen again. 

THIS.

And the Atlas Park music as you approach Ms. Liberty; it got to me.

• Like 4

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

6 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Wait til you hear the music in the login screen again. 

No! Wait until you get up on top of the highest building in the City and then step off backwards!

The rushing of all the windows going by gets me every time (on that I do this all that often, but still even so....)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

Indomitable & Torchbearer --> earn some lovely participation trophies.  :classic_biggrin:   (J/K...put down those rocks.)

Torchbearer is the 3rd most populated! LFG is very active on Torchbearer.

Isn't Indomitable the sortofkindof PVP server?

I'm on all so just defending these two rather than throwing rocks, or whatever you might have expected someone to do with them.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Bingo_Bob said:

I could never find a MMORPG that could compare. I've always proclaimed this as being one of the best games I've ever played.

Reach out if you need anything.

Leveling is accelerated compared to pre shutdown. The P2W vendors provide some early access to unlock capabilities. Also the character/costume creator has a lot more options available. If you need some inspiration:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/1090-post-your-best-costume-designs-here/page/22/?tab=comments#comment-127094

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 12/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, EmmySky said:

It is a dream!  A dream that came true!  Jump in, the water's fine.

I remember when Ouroboros was introduced and it had a weird glitch.   You got the mission from the Pillar of Ice and Flame, but you entered the mission by jumping in the pool.  That was so cool, I wish it had be left that way.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, EmmySky said:

Welcome home, hero 😀

Indeed, welcome back to your City. 🙂

4 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

I found this recently as well and was overjoyed.

Welcome home to you as well, Ejlertson!

• Thanks 1

Welcome home!

I can only speak for myself, but I had the same worries - what if it wasn't as good as I remembered? If I tried it again, it might never be the same. But after so many years of pining and rose-tinted memories, I can confidently say it lives up to my memories incredibly well.

I'm sure it will for yours, too.