D*cks in chat

Shenanigunner

A lot is said about the incredible quality of the CoX community, and session after session, year after year, I remain awed at just how damned good, pleasant and helpful this player base is. We've all hung out in other games where the majority of player interaction is abrasive, if not toxic. And recognize that this community sets a high, high standard.

That said, am I the only one seeing a huge rise in dickishness in the chats, especially Help, lately? Not abuse, exactly... it rarely rises to the level worth a /petition or GM involvement, but a... petty nastiness about things being discussed.

Four times now in less than two weeks, I've had something like the following encounter:

• NEWB: Can someone explain Combat Teleport?
  • ME: Fast, short-range TP, can be executed repeatedly.
  • BIGGUS DICKUS: Well, yes, three times.
    Hardly "repeatedly."
    You should learn something about the game before spreading misinformation.
    (Lengthy copy of exact power description from somewhere)
  • [and on it goes, through multiple exchanges, no backing down, no sense at all that most Help answers are short and not exhaustively complete, etc.]
  • Until... ignore.

Just... pointless, aspie-like latching onto a point and *not* *giving* *up* no matter how many other players ring in with calming words or agreement that my answer was short and reasonably correct. I didn't hit the one point that he sees as absolutely crucial, so [Rain of Arrows] it is.

Ruins the session for me. Sometimes the day. I may have to drop Help, and I do feel like I "give something back" there. All because CoX is an escape from the petty sh*t of everything else, as I suspect it is for many of us, and I don't want to log in with all my armor up, if you know what I mean.

Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

i tend to ignore people like that without needing to "ignore" them.  my job is driving a semi in heavy city traffic.  i can cuss a bit to myself about the peeps being stupid, but i am ill advised to react.  and people will be stupid.  sometimes i point it out with a Snarky aside (pat pend) if i am busy having fun i just move on, unless they are actively spreading misinformation that might grief someone needing help.  but sure, tell me i said it wrong or that i tipo'd ti lal scewry.  okay.  your prob right.

• Like 4

The chat logs the OP describes seem unlikely, since I tried to make a character with the name Biggus Dickus but was unable to. (On topic - for what it's worth I wouldn't consider "use three times in x seconds and it goes on cooldown" to mean "repeatedly" either and I'd probably say as much.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

47 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Four times now in less than two weeks, I've had something like the following encounter:

• NEWB: Can someone explain Combat Teleport?
  • ME: Fast, short-range TP, can be executed repeatedly.
  • BIGGUS DICKUS: Well, yes, three times.

What server is this on? I've not seen anything like this (specifically, the lengthy doubling-down) on Reunion, even speaking as a notoriously acerbic player myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

When I make a new toon Help and General are the first thing edited.

Not sorry,  Help is useless most of the time, General is just bs, and half the time LFG is anything but what it is for.

Solves alot of issues when they don't exist. 😉

• Confused 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Three times in a row is repeatedly.  He didn't say infinitely.  As short as the cooldown is, though, it's the next best thing.  But, yeah, people can occasionally be annoying.  General tab is the most distracting to me, which is why I remove it.  LFG and Help can be, sometimes, but I use them both and also like to help other people, when I'm able, so I haven't muted them.

• Like 1

I'm a lot like Snarky, I'd just ignore the old fashioned way and only respond in chat if they were wrong to the point of harm or just thank them for the detailed response.

Edit:  As for Help and General chat I don't remove them so much as move them to their own window which can be more readily ignored unless I'm into popcorn for a bit.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthought
  • Like 3

UHmmmm, sounds like that person is a “rules lawyer.” Guess there must’ve been a bit of cross pollination from the ol’ tabletop. (sings thread title to tune of Girls on Film)

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

6 minutes ago, cranebump said:

UHmmmm, sounds like that person is a “rules lawyer.” Guess there must’ve been a bit of cross pollination from the ol’ tabletop. (sings thread title to tune of Girls on Film)

And an uncivilized one at that ... or he might find himself getting eaten by this normally civilized "rules lawyer" 🤪  It's a tendency I have learned to rein in (I hope) until I know the recipient wants to get buried in 'the details'.

6 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Ruins the session for me. Sometimes the day. I may have to drop Help, and I do feel like I "give something back" there. All because CoX is an escape from the petty sh*t of everything else, as I suspect it is for many of us, and I don't want to log in with all my armor up, if you know what I mean.

I get what you're saying. There will always be jerks wherever you go. Home, work, grocery store, online video game, everyone. Ignore/block and move on.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that your entire life will be a lot happier if you don't let stuff like this affect YOU. Some one else being a jerk shouldn't make you feel down. It's not your fault, it's not your responsibility, and you shouldn't care. Block/ignore, have a good laugh at someone being a jerk/idiot, and then forget that it happened. Drama just doesn't matter.

• Like 6

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

When I make a new toon Help and General are the first thing edited.

Not sorry,  Help is useless most of the time, General is just bs, and half the time LFG is anything but what it is for.

Solves alot of issues when they don't exist. 😉

I´d agree taht General is more or less usueless for anything than banter, but Help has been and is invaluable imo.
As a newly returned player the Help channels has beena treasurethrove of assistance and help and still is.
I do not know if its server specifiq (Im on Reunion) but I cant imagine removing Help from my tabs. 
I also feel obliged to assist if Im able in it, paying the help I got forward.

• Like 5

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

6 hours ago, macskull said:

The chat logs the OP describes seem unlikely, since I tried to make a character with the name Biggus Dickus but was unable to.

Huh, I could have sworn I saw someone running around with that name.  Maybe they tricked the censor by swapping out and I for an L, that sort of thing.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I think it varies greatly per shard. I play in Reunion almost every day for a min of 2 hours per session. I have never come across anything in Help or LFG that is anywhere near abrasive. In fact quite the opposite. People are genuinely trying to look for teams or look for people for teams, which usually works out for both parties. Help IS helpful. people would offer not only decent, but quite insightful feedback most of the time... and usually polite. Occasionally, the conversation will stray away from actual Help or LFG because of a funny thing mentioned or reaction, but it sets itself straight soon after. Again, rarely anything snarky (much less offensive) is said. I play a bit on Everlasting as well, and while I don't play as often in this shard, I have fairly the same experience as Reunion.

I tried Excelsior a while back, and I did notice a slightly different "trend" in the chat which I didn't care for. It was a good thing that shard's connection didn't agree with mine, so I don't visit Excel too often. Haven't had the chance or reason to visit Torchbearer or Indom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six-Six said:

I think it varies greatly per shard. I play in Reunion almost every day for a min of 2 hours per session. I have never come across anything in Help or LFG that is anywhere near abrasive. In fact quite the opposite. People are genuinely trying to look for teams or look for people for teams, which usually works out for both parties. Help IS helpful. people would offer not only decent, but quite insightful feedback most of the time... and usually polite. Occasionally, the conversation will stray away from actual Help or LFG because of a funny thing mentioned or reaction, but it sets itself straight soon after. Again, rarely anything snarky (much less offensive) is said. I play a bit on Everlasting as well, and while I don't play as often in this shard, I have fairly the same experience as Reunion.

I tried Excelsior a while back, and I did notice a slightly different "trend" in the chat which I didn't care for. It was a good thing that shard's connection didn't agree with mine, so I don't visit Excel too often. Haven't had the chance or reason to visit Torchbearer or Indom.

I think it's probably just a function of Excelsior being the most heavily populated server.  More players = more chances to get an abrasive tool spouting off.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I play on Excelsior.  Honestly I do not see this.  I play quite a bit, and eyeball LFG/Gen/Help whenever I am not ROFLSTOMPing 

I just finished about 7 months in WoW, so maybe I am numb to the experience. 

There are some random comments in the channels.  I have been called out a few times for responding in LFG instead of switching to General.  Some folks are strict.  Someone posts about setting up a 45 Synapse.  Me -"Back in my day we used to take 1:30 to do Synapse, uphill, both ways, in the snow"  Response from 3rd party "do not use LFG for chit chat"  Me "Grrrrr"  

That is about as spicy as I see it gets in the channels.  Hmmm, and I was the offender.  hmmmm. lol

I did have one idiot on Excelsior harass me for a couple months.  This was about a year ago.   But it was not in public.  THey really took offense at my playstyle, team tactics, and my suspect personal hygiene.  Would post PMs at me whenever I was on.  Freaking odd.  I am a old truck driver though.  So, unless you are banging on my cab with a hammer you prob are getting ignored by me.  Oh well.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

I´d agree taht General is more or less usueless for anything than banter, but Help has been and is invaluable imo.
As a newly returned player the Help channels has beena treasurethrove of assistance and help and still is.
I do not know if its server specifiq (Im on Reunion) but I cant imagine removing Help from my tabs. 
I also feel obliged to assist if Im able in it, paying the help I got forward.

I'm on Everlasting so there's that....however the wife is on the channels and occasionally she does Help someone but, most of the time its just a bs or bitchfest especially General. 

The only reason I still hang on to LFG is because of the constant MSR or Hami raids being conducted. All the rest is just an annoyance or ((I'm a hero here to save the day look at my fancy new tights)) stuff....

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I avoid General unless I really feel like humorous banter.  There's just too much going on there.

I often participate on Help, one way or another.  The only issue there is sometimes people try to help when they don't understand the question and there is a lot of splaining.  But I chalk that off to people trying to help.  Some help topics are matters of opinion after all.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

I think you may just be remembering the few bad experiences, and forgetting that there are plenty of great ones

Ive seen...

- Players give other players influence to get started.  Players they didnt even know.  Ive created new toons, only to have someone walk up and offer me influence upon zoning into Atlas

- Players give other players purples, just because.    

- Players offer, and give help to others who may be trying to solo something, and are continually dying

- The other day, someone was asking about the email system after emailing themselves inf.  Apparently they emailed the wrong address.  Players were offering to replace the missing amount

- Lots and lots of questions answered in help, without snide remarks

I was on a Posi a few weeks back in which one player was level 7.  We all took time to run a couple missions with the player, to get him/her to 8 so they could run the TF with us.  No one was upset, and everyone took part. 

I play on Excelsior and Everlasting, so I cant speak for the other servers   

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I like helping people.

I don't get involved with the general chat very often.

I use ignore and don't feel bad about doing it.

Like you said. The game is escapism.

If that guy is ruining the escape - ignore.

Don't look back and feel bad about it. That is the way that they want to behave. There are going to be a lot of people ignoring them one way or another.

There are plenty of cool people to engage and game with. 

Those that I ignore are in the minority, but I do probably put far more on ignore than other people do.

That being said, by putting them on ignore, I don't have to bothered by their behavior ever again.

I think it may have happened once since I've been back that someone said to another character (that I obviously couldn't see was chatting) "I think they have you on ignore". And that was that. No more talk about me ignoring someone. No one chastising me for ignoring someone. 

Using the help channel is an important way to help the community and no one that actually wants to take the time to try to help should be driven from the channel or made to feel bad because they provided help. The help channel isn't for attacking other players. Just ignore the trolls and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Mostly on Torch, here.

Occasional snarks, usually nothing too toxic. General seems to be the banter channel, can't see ignoring that. What would I do with my time between missions?

Help is for helping, I can see being irritated if off-topic chat is seen there.

Statistically, though, I think we're still standard deviations toward the good.

I'm sorry to hear there are still jerks out in the wild.

Next thing you know, they'll be dupin' rares, then we'll be gone to the Americans.

(But there's no reason not to be civil about it!)

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

10 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I get what you're saying. There will always be jerks wherever you go. Home, work, grocery store, online video game, everyone. Ignore/block and move on.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that your entire life will be a lot happier if you don't let stuff like this affect YOU. Some one else being a jerk shouldn't make you feel down. It's not your fault, it's not your responsibility, and you shouldn't care. Block/ignore, have a good laugh at someone being a jerk/idiot, and then forget that it happened. Drama just doesn't matter.

Spot on!

Dont give anyone else the power to effect your mood.  This is very hard and I am still learning it myself.  I am in control of my actions and reactions and I tell myself that every single time someone spouts off and irks me LOL.  

• Like 2

Thanks, all. Was just bitching; appreciate the feedback.

Some general notes:

• Excelsior.
  • No real names were used; that was not a clip from a chat log.
  • Beginning to wonder if as few as one dick user is at the root of all these incidents, or at least a very small group.
  • Ignore, ignore, ignore.
  • I enjoy General most of the time; it's like Discording with a big team of friends who sometimes exasperate you.
  • I hate to drop Help; for every time there's an hour about exactly what to do with Incarnate Threads (and I have some suggestions), there's five or six serious newb/journeyman questions that get good answers, and I can often chime in on those.
  • I've been online for... ever. Probably longer than many participants here have been around. Wouldn't have even gotten irritated except for my high regard for the community quality and a wish to keep this pocket universe a pleasant escape from the Hell That Is 2020.

Back to it.

• Like 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com