WHY MUST WE ALWAYS FIGHT???

Gentoo

Why must we always fight??? WHY WILL THEY NEVER REASON?!

I walk into a warehouse, onto a boat, into a cave, and I meet some Freakshow or some Hellions, or Warriors, maybe some cool looking Tsoo, and they always want to fight me. They never listen to my speeches. They never negotiate. I always wind up beating them up, so why won't they learn to discuss things like rational non-psychopathic adults?

This city is insane!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Dude, you're the one walking in wearing multi-colored spandex.  They think you're insane.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Coming soon, to a Wi-Fi hotspot near you - City of Negotiated Settlements and Peaceful Resolutions!

Calmly discuss issues!  Rationally debate perspectives!  Achieve lasting peace through diplomacy and understanding!  Welcome to Paragon City, the most peaceful place in the world, where nothing happens that can't be resolved through dialog!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

10 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Coming soon, to a Wi-Fi hotspot near you - City of Negotiated Settlements and Peaceful Resolutions!

Calmly discuss issues!  Rationally debate perspectives!  Achieve lasting peace through diplomacy and understanding!  Welcome to Paragon City, the most peaceful place in the world, where nothing happens that can't be resolved through dialog!

Serious reply in a fun thread, I'm excited for machine learning developments making this reality closer every day. See AI Dungeon for a very rough, very early proof-of-concept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gentoo said:

I walk into a warehouse, onto a boat, into a cave, and I meet some Freakshow or some Hellions, or Warriors, maybe some cool looking Tsoo, and they always want to fight me. They never listen to my speeches. They never negotiate. I always wind up beating them up, so why won't they learn to discuss things like rational non-psychopathic adults?

This city is insane!

All they had to do was to Come Quietly or There Will Be Trouble.

Not your fault if they don't come quietly!

• Like 2

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

I know, right?

Dialogue options with the potential to lead to a peaceful resolution wouldn't necessarily work for all missions - if I'm busting into a Council base to foil their latest Evil Plottm then by definition I'm up against a bunch of ideologically motivated nutbags in the middle of commiting Crimes Against Humanity. They're not likely to be talked out of it. But the Warriors? They're motivated by more... practical concerns.

I suspect the real reason is that the technology didn't support it when the game launched and it would be a lot of work for the Homecoming team to do. It'd be nice to see it crop up just occasionally though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

But will it have cookies?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

to quote a wise soul

Some men just want to watch the world burn

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Come the war
Come the avarice
Come the war
Come hell

Come attrition
Come the reek of bones
Come attrition
Come hell

And this is why
Why we fight
Why we lie awake
This is why
This is why we fight
And when we die
We will die
With our arms unbound
This is why
This is why we fight
Come hell

Bride of quiet
Bride of all unquiet things
Bride of quiet
Bride of hell

Come the archers
Come the infantry
Come the archers
Of hell

And this is why
Why we fight
Why we lie awake
This is why
This is why we fight
And when we die
We will die
With our arms unbound
This is why
This is why we fight
Come hell
So come to me
Come to me now
Lay your arms around me
This is why
This is why we fight
Come hell

I realize a fair share of folks in here are just taking the piss, but . . . 

Yes?

Yes.

Yes to the idea of introducing some (more) dialogue tree content where you could actually negotiate with the NPCs.

@holymittens did an AMAZING demo of this in the Rogue-only mission from Bobby.  There's a mission where you have to interrogate someone, and if you get Clues from Glowies before doing so, you can leverage the information you collected to get the truth out of the NPC, rather than him sending you on a wild goose chase.

It was an absolute stroke of brilliance, and I am so sad we haven't seen anything else from @holymittens since.

I want more content like that!

2 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Because if violence ISN'T solving your problem, you're clearly not USING enough.

Sounds like an ad for Warburg.

11 hours ago, Gentoo said:

To be fair, they never "always fight" me.  They fight me, they die.  They might come back as one of the Vahz, or a desiccated corpse for the Banished Pantheon, but then they fight me.  So, two times tops, not "always".

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Luminara said:

No truce with the Circle of Thorns.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the option (on occasions when it makes sense.) I think we were starting to see a little of it (see having the option to save or kill Trapdoor, for instance,) but in all honesty it would probably work better in a single player COH RPG.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.