How do you pronounce 'Superadine'?

Something that I have wondered since OG launch (which I should have figured out by now but oh well) is:

How is 'Superadine' pronounced?

'Sou-pear-ah-dine'?

'Super-eh-dine'?

(suggestions from in game general chat on Everlasting:)

'Super-eh-deen'?

'Super-ah-deen'?

Help! Such an important question!

• Thanks 2

I've always pronounced it "Super-eh-deen."

But I'm American. I have no idea how things are supposed to be properly pronounced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

soo-pear'-a-dyne, accent on 2nd syl-LAB-le, but Tah-los, Tay-los, poTayto Potahto, lets call the whole thing off.

Yeah.....swing it!

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Depends on the character that's saying it.  Generally somewhere slightly between "suh-PAIR-uh-dine" and "soo-PAIR-uh-dine" depending on how "refined" the accent I imagine for the NPC in question.  Particularly thuggish types and Trolls in general tend to slur it more to "SOOP-ruh-dine".

44 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

soo-pear'-a-dyne, accent on 2nd syl-LAB-le, but Tah-los, Tay-los, poTayto Potahto, lets call the whole thing off.

Yeah.....swing it!

I'm very close to this, but second syllable "per" rather than "pear".  "super" like in "superfluous".

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Super.  pronounced like super.  if you dont got that, then I cannot help you.  a.  well.  again, a.  pronounced like a.  not ah.  not aaaaaa not augh.  just "a"  dine, pronounced like "dean"  Dean of a school.  Dean from Supernatural.  "Super-a-dean."

Edited by Snarky

Super-[schwa]-dine. Depending on how fast I say it the schwa may not be audible. I'd say -deen if not for the "'Dyne" abbreviation used in game.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

It always struck me that the full 'Superadine'  (Souper-a-dyne) sounds like what a pharm company would name it, and the formal pronunciation wouldn't last long. From Souper-a-dyne to Soupah-dyne to Soupah-D to Supped to just 'sup.

Then a drug deal would just be two blokes going 'sup at each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

sounds like what a pharm company would name it

Doesn't it seem like lately they have run out of good names and are just kind of making words up?  "So call your doctor today and ask 'Is Phraravnozyl right for me?' - may cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, psychosis, loss of genitalia, excruciating painful death, invisible companions, and destruction of your soul.  Brought to you by the makers of Quaxnoltrix".  Guess those are better than trying to say Lysergic Acid Diethylamide ten times fast...  😁

Oh, and doesn't it seem like approximately 2~3 years later the big sales push is followed by a wave of "Did you take the prescription drug Phraravanozyl and are now soul less?  Call the offices of Weasel, Shaft & McSpin today.  You may be entitled to receive a small portion of a class action settlement (after we take a large portion of it)!  Hurry, we're spending your money quickly so call today!" 

• Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

9 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Well, the in-game shorthand for it is called "Dyne", so I usually just go with Sue-Per-uh-Dyne so it remains consistent with game lore.

Good point.  I think for me subconsciously I'm associating the 'ine' with words like Visine or Gasoline.  But quite honestly most folks partaking in these things call it by some slang name anyway.  "Hey man, I'm tryin' to score some 'grasshopper'.  Know where I can get some?"  

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)