[Beta] Patch Notes for May 24th, 2021

6 minutes ago, jdos911 said:

Also, with travel powers available at level 4 and no other way to turn off the stupid server pop-up tray than Null the Gull, low level access to PD is kind of important.   If you don't have access via an SG base, there's no other way to get a newly created character there easily. 

Getting to PD to turn off the travel power server tray is one of the first things I do when I create a new character now.  It blocks 3 of my other trays simultaneously and is annoying as all hell.  With this change, I don't have to log in an alt to add myself to the SG just to get access to PD to turn off the tray.

That being said, I'm all for them being added as additional entrances instead of removing others, if they can find a way to do it.

You never needed to join a SG to use the portals. If you already have a base that has these portals just input your code with your new character. If you don't have a base then use this for a new character: /macro Portals "enterbasefrompasscode ZONE-8888"

I prefer the keybind option ( /keybind numpad9 enterbasefrompasscode ZONE-8888) since then I save keybinds to default and all my new characters already have the default numpad 9 as teleport to portals, no need to add new macros for each character I make.

Edit: This is actually Everlasting's portal hub. But each server has a portal hub and if you ask on the general chat someone will say which one is your server's.

Edited by Sovera

That really is the odd crux of it, isn't it, @EmperorSteele?

If I have the option to solo it at Level 45 (or ANY content, for that matter), bringing players of any other level would only help make it easier, theoretically speaking.
The "but won't someone think of the power-levelling" clutching-at-pearls or "they have to earn it" gatekeeping arguments can just go take a long walk off Spanky's Boardwalk.

There's an argument to be made about facilitating a player-experience that makes sense in terms of UX and maintaining consistent expectations.  The problem is that this game is so all-over-the-map already that maintaining those elements is already a mess.  My personal view is to lean HEAVILY in favour of City of Heroes' signature selling feature:  Player choice and agency.  The more of the game which is offered to players to personally engage with on their own terms, the better.

As it stands, with this change in place, my personal feedback is:  This will cause me to play the Lady Grey Task Force far less.  It's essentially removing access to content which I presently have the option to play at this time on the Release version of the game.  Yes, there is a fundamental issue with this particular content which would make it virtually impossible for me to solo; I can still team up with other players who are 50 (or there abouts) and participate in the content as-is.
This is not a solution to the problem related to Weakened Hamidon which I personally support.

• City Council
36 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

There was some confusion, as it had been reported that in previous versions of the game that it was possible to launch the Strike Force with a Level 45 leader, while members were as low as level 35.  We were seeking clarity on what this latest patch would do, exactly.

I don't think that was ever the case, it's just what people assumed based on the TF being level 35 minimum back in Issue 10, even though the briefing text already said level 45 minimum. The i24 data files have the minimum level for the task force at 45, and the minimum level of the contact at 45. There's no mechanism I know of that would let you ignore the minimum level for a TF, or apply it only to the team leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, jdos911 said:

Also, with travel powers available at level 4 and no other way to turn off the stupid server pop-up tray than Null the Gull, low level access to PD is kind of important.   If you don't have access via an SG base, there's no other way to get a newly created character there easily. 

If King’s Row or Port Oakes are too hard to get to, that leaves me with questions about our playerbase...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Given that we got a response from @Faultline on the subject too, seems like the nails are sadly driven in to that particular coffin.

But under normal circumstances I would advocate that others still conduct the same test that someone already did.  After all, I may have made errors in my testing method.
More testing may feel redundant, but small variations can have a deep impact, and it's usually worthwhile to smash your forehead in to things from every angle during a testing phase.

Add me to the list of those not happy with the Pocket D entrance changes.

My two cents:

• I rarely use the KR one except at very low level, so moving it to AP wouldn't bother me, but the FF one actually has value.
  • Red-side I use all of them some, but Sharkhead the most.  Losing SM for Mercy would be a net plus to me.  And losing the PO one near the ferry would hurt.  So I'm not crazy about swapping the loss of SM for PO, but it would be slightly preferable to me simply because moving the low-level entrance seems more consistent.  Adding a 4th entrance via manhole red-side would be better, IMO.
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I think it would be cool if the Atlas Pocket-D entrance, if there is one, was close to Back Alley Brawler. Give people more reason to see that he's there.

PD.thumb.JPG.2d730ee13c2089475da9c9c283ecc883.JPG

The entrance to Pocket D in Atlas is to the East of City Hall, in the parking lot across from the Auction House and near the Architect Entertainment building.

After reviewing Atlas Park as the replacement for Founder's Falls, I believe it is appropriate given the zones connection to high level zones (Recluse's Victory, Rikti War Zone) and transportation hubs (Paragon City Monorail, TUNNEL connection, base portal, Fort Trident). If I wanted to connect to Founder's Falls I could use one of the many options available to a player to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

If King’s Row or Port Oakes are too hard to get to, that leaves me with questions about our playerbase...

If your main concern is popup trays, that's at level 4 AND with a travel power. The KR Pocket D entrance is seconds away from the Tram Line with Sprint, pretty sure it's the same in Port Oakes as well. They were put there to be easily accessible to lowbies without further cluttering up AP.

I disagree with the idea that even setting foot outside the absolute beginner zone is considered too high a barrier of entry for much of anything, especially something as trivial as Pocket D.

If Echo Plaza is that critical, leave up the TUNNEL link full-time. If Null is that important, create a copy hanging out somewhere in Atlas/Mercy/Nova, at least until we can get rid of the stupid thing as a character configuration hack. Interdimensional seagull-god things can be as many places at once as they want.

We have ONE entry level zone per side. Trying to shove absolutely everything into it will create a place that many of us just don't want to be, and in many cases already has. We don't need more City of Atlas Park, please.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

After reviewing Atlas Park as the replacement for Founder's Falls, I believe it is appropriate given the zones connection to high level zones (Recluse's Victory, Rikti War Zone) and transportation hubs (Paragon City Monorail, TUNNEL connection, base portal, Fort Trident). If I wanted to connect to Founder's Falls I could use one of the many options available to a player to do so.

My issue with it is actually the flip-side:  It renders KR's entrance pretty much useless.  So why not lose it instead?

Edited by csr
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, csr said:

My issue with it is actually the flip-side:  It renders KR's entrance pretty much useless.  So why not lose it instead?

I would support this.

Edit: Furthermore, there are still the original Paragon Dance Party entrances which could be used as a nexus to Pocket D.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I support and like the change to Lady Grey Taskforce, it fixes a real problem. It's the gold equivalent of the Ms Liberty Taskforce and Lord Recluse Strikeforce. It contains an endgame enemy type and difficulty level (though I would support a more "rikti supergroup av fight" at the end. Perhaps with 1 extra AV at each pylon or buffed up Riders or something). The one thing that might help distinguish this would be changing it's Incarnate component reward and swap it with a Synthetic Hami-O, but even if not it seems fine.

I also appreciate the fix to Emp Arrow and Arcane Bolt/power. I would like the strenuously suggest having an alternate effect for Arcane Bolt though, please, it's terrible. Perhaps a Psychic Blast projectile to simulate a Magic Missile.

Edited by zenblack

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Edit: Furthermore, there are still the original Paragon Dance Party entrances which could be used as a nexus to Pocket D.

I would love to add a sewer entrance in there that pops out in pocket D. 

Though Red deserves an equivalent and Gold deserves... A lot more.

@Devs - For the record, even though I don't like the Pocket D changes, I'm not going to flip tables over it. 

So much opposition to change comes across as "raising hell" so it feels important to go out of my way to say: you're still appreciated and I'll still love the work you do.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Fixed an issue with Cognitive and Spectral Interface Procs

• This was a bug introduced last year when Interface DoT procs got fixed

• It turned out that the procs were missing the tag needed to turn on the effect group

Curious; does this mean the confuse and immobilize were not working?  Can we boost the immobilize in Spectral to 4 seconds just like the confuse duration, especially since these already have such a low chance of firing compared to other Interfaces?

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

17 minutes ago, zenblack said:

I support and like the change to Lady Grey Taskforce, it fixes a real problem. It's the gold equivalent of the Ms Liberty Taskforce and Lord Recluse Strikeforce. It contains an endgame enemy type and difficulty level (though I would support a more "rikti supergroup av fight" at the end. Perhaps with 1 extra AV at each pylon or buffed up Riders or something). The one thing that might help distinguish this would be changing it's Incarnate component reward and swap it with a Synthetic Hami-O, but even if not it seems fine.

I also appreciate the fix to Emp Arrow and Arcane Bolt/power. I would like the strenuously suggest having an alternate effect for Arcane Bolt though, please, it's terrible. Perhaps a Psychic Blast projectile to simulate a Magic Missile.

Magic missile gif 4 » GIF Images Download

Pocket D Zone Tour

4 hours ago, Replacement said:

Uh, sorry to be that guy but I'm actually explicitly against connecting the starting zones to Pocket D.

I like the LRTP changes because they added qol and a reward to taking an extra moment while zipping through zones.

This is the opposite - removing reasons to ever break out of the AE to 50 pipeline.

This sums up my stance. I just don’t think the living in Atlas Park playstyle needs any more incentivizing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Honestly, I like the idea of moving the low-level entrance to Pocket D from King's Row to Atlas Park (and Port Oakes to Mercy Island).  Pocket D is usually my first destination after creating/playing a character in AP/MI anyway.  I do not like the idea of removing the FF/SM entrances, because I usually use Pocket D to get to those zones in the first place.  So put me squarely in the camp of "replace KR/PO with AP/MI".

The LGTF task force level req change is cool with me, because it's a bug that should be fixed (it's not working as intended/documented).  If they want to change the way it works, and update the documentation accordingly, I'm cool with that, too.

(edit:) Not that my opinion matters all that much -- just thought I'd pile on the feedback.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 3

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

My two cents: i'm ok with adding Pocket D entrances to Atlas and Mercy, though I would rather they don't come at the expense of Founders and Marital's entrances.  I do use those doors fairly often, and they are the highest level exits to PD, not counting the RV gate.  At the same time, I also don't see why the new doors are necessary, the doors in King's Row and Port Oakes are not difficult to reach.  Even if the main reason is to make Echo Plaza easier to reach after it's taken out of TUNNEL they aren't a massive trek to get to.

I do approve of a new door in Nova Praetoria.  Compared to Kings and Oakes, getting to the Pocket D door in Imperial City is a lot more difficult and annoying.

As for the rest of the update, indifferent.  Cool to see more bug fixes.  Also my Gravity Rogue laughs at the city council's attempt at reprimanding the heroes for messing with the rocks.  I'm no hero, so i'll keep lifting them up all I want!

• Like 3

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, Apparition said:

Honestly, if there are going to be entrances added to Mercy Island and Atlas Park, and there must be entrances removed, then I'd rather see the Kings Row and Port Oakes entrances removed.  It makes little sense to have two lowbie entrances and remove the mid-level entrances.

Absolutely.

Please, devs, this is the smart choice.

• Like 2