The +4/x9 Experiment

Early on in HC, I joked about running a character solo to 50 at +4/x8 settings through missions.  Then this thread taught me that there are ways to break that.  So now I'm trying to run to 50 at +4/x999!

My self-imposed rules:

1.  Start a new character, run through the tutorial.  Then put your settings at +4/x9 (or higher).  See @Apparitions thread for how to do so.  Bosses activated, but there is no way I'm going to activate AVs.

2.  Pure solo.  No teams, no drive-by buffs.

3.  Regular XP. 

4.  No street sweeping unless it's part of a mission or is absolutely necessary.  In other words, don't circumvent the task by leveling outside of missions.

5.  No outleveling missions.  No going back to a level 8 mission at 12.

6.  No Ouro missions, or if you do, turn off XP.  

Other than that, use every tool you have at your disposal and run missions.  Throw the kitchen sink at them.  For extra bonus points, do this on a self-funded character.

It's tedious, it's time-consuming, and a real exercise in learning how to avoid aggroing an entire spawn.  But it's far more doable than you might think.  I haven't hit any +7 spawns yet (currently at level 11 on a Mind/Nature controller after a total of three missions).  I die a fair amount.  I suspect that it's going to get really painful in the 30s, but we'll see!  Wish me luck!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who run Bartertown?

You have enough inf* to pay someone to abuse you, if you're really that into it.

Or, hell, skip the carpal tunnel syndrome and really abuse yourself by watching something like Jason X or The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

27 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Not gonna lie that while starting as +4  leaves me cold having a x9 (or 10, or 20) option interests me. Does it work like that?

The exact opposite.  It fixed the mob size at x8 but it bugs the level to +5-?+7?.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Supertanker said:

Not to this extreme obviously, but I do up the difficulty with Mind Controllers once I get Confuse. It feels more efficient beating multiple Bosses in a mission rather than a bunch of Minions, and the safe no-aggro control makes it easy.

Except for one thing ... purple patch.  Your confuse duration before enhancement is under 3 sec vs a +7.   Good luck on even a well enhanced character spamming Confuse that fast that often for quite a few levels after 6th.  Now vs +6 that duration is about doubled but still once you're down to the last boss you've got to defeat them with no help while continuing to spam Confuse which in turn is going to cut into your dps something fierce.  And your dps on a lowbie controller when its 15% or so of normal then cut further while spamming Confuse.

Doable perhaps but easy not so sure considering one slip and what's your defense again at low levels while not exemped and trying to muster the recharge etc to spam Confuse.

Then again tedious vs not easy is another question.

Early observations:

@Doomguide2005 is exactly right.  This whole experiment is understanding the purple patch.  https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Purple_Patch

Early on, defense is almost irrelevant.  You're probably gonna get hit by anyone and everyone.  I've been focusing on resist over defense.  Also, accuracy is critical.

SOs at level 2 are ridiculously overpowered.  If you are using SOs then and not playing at +3 or more, in my opinion you are beating up kindergarten kids.

Amplifiers are also ridiculously overpowered.  See above comment.

Strategic leveling is always fun, and you will do it early and often.  Take your ding as an opportunity to shell out as much as you can before running away.  Remember, if you level a few times and you are facing the comparatively trivial mod of +3/x8, they will slay you.  Echo of Statesman lasts for seconds.

Run away a lot.  I keep Sprint active, and I'm actually going to two slot it soon.  I may three slot it eventually.

Early on, I don't think it really matters what AT you play.  I wouldn't play a mastermind, controller, or dominator (except mind of maybe plant).  Pets don't last.  But I think almost anything else is "doable".  I'm setting up a Beam/Willpower sentinel for an additional data point.  Right now she's making inf and getting res day job bonus.

Who run Bartertown?

11 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Got it. Enemies still cap at 54 so this does nothin for me. 😞

Yep.  As I pointed out in the original thread, the mission/TF/SF needs to be level 49 or below for this bug to work.  Also as I pointed out, +5 (or above) really isn't worth it.  It's not difficult.  It's just a slog.

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Yep.  As I pointed out in the original thread, the mission/TF/SF needs to be level 49 or below for this bug to work.  Also as I pointed out, +5 (or above) really isn't worth it.  It's not difficult.  It's just a slog.

At level 2?  It's difficult.  At level 49, nerp.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?