No Fun Builds?

Cyrickain13

Hey all long time CoH player. Looking for any builds that anyone has played that has not seemed enjoyable or extremely hard. I will be able to level any build but want to see if anyone has any challenging builds out there?

IE: I have a Broad Sword - Shield Scrapper that I am not particualrly fond of. 

Trick Arrow/Archery Defender. Maybe it gets better at higher levels, but that one never made it to level 20.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

6 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Kinetic Melee/Stone Armor Brute. You're welcome.

Oh my.  That has to be the winner.  If you ever wanted to play CoH by mail, this combo might just be slow enough to do it.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Cyrickain13 said:

Hey all long time CoH player. Looking for any builds that anyone has played that has not seemed enjoyable or extremely hard. I will be able to level any build but want to see if anyone has any challenging builds out there?

The problem with your question is that it's a purely subjective thing.  Just to illustrate, I've found Broadsword/Shield Scrappers so immensely fun that I've built and leveled two of them to 50 the "slow way."  This is going to very much be a "to each their own" kind of thing, and everyone will have a different answer.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Dazl said:

Trick Arrow/Archery Defender. Maybe it gets better at higher levels, but that one never made it to level 20.

I did this on Live and between soloing, pre-Set Bonuses, and the lower levels this was difficult. But doable.

However with the HC changes to TA, and access to sets I'm looking forward to remaking this build.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

57 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

Street Justice. They TAoE is horrible. Is more like a cone. Should be a PBAoE.

An SJ/WP scrapper was my first character on Homecoming.  I had a grand time playing him, but I don't return to it that often.  Part of it is that I didn't really have a grasp on enhancement set slotting yet.  Every now and then I think I should respec and re-slot him, but then I remember what a pain the respec interface is, and that I've got a bunch of other characters I enjoy playing as-is. 

11 hours ago, Cyrickain13 said:

What level is that scrapper you don't like?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Dual Pistols/Ninja Training Blaster - not hard or outright bad, just decidedly "meh". I took it to 50, but didn't pursue incarnates.

10 hours ago, Dazl said:

I took this to 50 on live, and did it on HC as a corruptor. Not sure that I'd want to solo the defender, but it's a strong team character.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Yeah, have to say this is really subjective - I mean, it took a while for me to get a TW character to 50 because I don't enjoy the set. Only did it because I enjoyed the character.

However, you want a slow, enemies will die of old age build, Earth/FF controller will do it...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

Trick arrow/ beam rifle defender.   Dont use the 'no redraw' customization and alternate between primary and secondary for every attack.  Name it corpse blaster

Alternately Assault Rifle, I'd recommend using Defender since you don't get anything special for the secondary.

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Uun said:

Dual Pistols/Ninja Training Blaster - not hard or outright bad, just decidedly "meh". I took it to 50, but didn't pursue incarnates.

Huh.  Just shows how much difference a secondary can make (or how opinions can differ).  My DP/MC blaster has been an absolute blast kick joy to play.  Just all kinds of fun. 

3 hours ago, Triumphant said:

Huh.  That's one of my favorite melee sets.  Weird.  But, such things are subjective, I suppose.  🤷‍♂️

I played a SJ/WP brute to Vet lvl 10 and that TaOE on SJ drove me crazy.  You want to hit the baddies all around you not just the 3-5 in front of you.

Back on  live on of my, "Its not really good but the challenge is sort of fun" character was an Assault Rifle/Poison Corruptor (might have been Defender but I think it was a Corruptor). Since he was a normal guy, I had to save up for a hoverboard for transportation even. No self-healing and pretty miserable controls made groups of enemies tricky to deal with.

ice/time controller

You turn on Arctic Air from ice and Time Juncture from time.  You can also drop ice slick from ice and distortion field from time.

The enemies can barely move or act and spend their time just slipping and falling.  But you have no END to use for anything else and just slowly plink away at them.

It is a no fun build

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Assault Rifle/Pain Domination Corrupter or Defender.  I'm really trying to like it, i've got a good character concept for it, but it's so hard to enjoy.  Nothing but healing until World of Pain at 28/18, no debuffs until Anguishing Cry at 35/26 and Assault Rifle is just not good, not helped by a lack of secondary effects to take advantage of the higher Corrupter/Defender buff values (it's all knockback, aside from Busrt which has a weak -def, and the two big cones, Flamethrower and Full Auto, don't even have secondary effects, and bad animations to boot).  Even on teams it's bland just because it's even more heal focused than Empathy, at least Empathy would have Fortitude by now.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.