Wiki getting harder to load

Troo

Why?

hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev has issues.

the paragon wiki loads wicked fast without issue.

• Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michiyo reported earlier today on discord that there are some hardware issues with the wiki server and the wiki is down while those are being resolved. 

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarification
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Why?

hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev has issues.

the paragon wiki loads wicked fast without issue.

Paragon Wiki is old and outdated. Please don't use it or, by mentioning it, advocate its use. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

3 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Paragon Wiki is old and outdated. Please don't use it or, by mentioning it, advocate its use. 

as clearly as possible I referred to the HC wiki as having issues.

the older Paragon wiki does not have the same issues.

these are commonly referred to as facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

1 hour ago, Troo said:

as clearly as possible I referred to the HC wiki as having issues.

the older Paragon wiki does not have the same issues.

these are commonly referred to as facts.

The older site doesn't have "the same issues" because it's not being actively updated or maintained. HCWiki is.

Edited by Aurora_Girl
Trying to be less "abusive." 🤙
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

• City Council

Yes, the Wiki has been running very slow recently, because one of the drives was throwing errors but not bad enough to trigger intervention by the host.  Yesterday the drive gave up the ghost, and took out the storage array, luckily I run backups so I just had to re-deploy the hypervisor software and restore backups.  After some extra work today the server should be much more responsive.

• Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

Sounds like the recharge SOs slotted into the WIKI has been out-leveled.

that or the wiki proc just isn't firing.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, Aurora_Girl said:

Paragon Wiki is old and outdated.

16 hours ago, Luminara said:

So are most of us.

I prefer to identify as "Legacy".

Actually, as to not using PW as Aurora_Girl mentioned, I wish Google search would get a clue.  I've typed in "City of Heroes Homecoming Wiki", or variations on that, on more than a few occasions only to have all the old stuff pop up first.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've typed in "City of Heroes Homecoming Wiki", or variations on that, on more than a few occasions only to have all the old stuff pop up first.

Search results are driven by what people seek out and click on. As long as the old wiki exists and players not here in the knowledgesphere keep going there, that's how it's gonna be.

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

I wish Google search would get a clue.

You might want to start with something simple like world peace or a cure for cancer.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Search results are driven by what people seek out and click on. As long as the old wiki exists and players not here in the knowledgesphere keep going there, that's how it's gonna be.

And the "old" wiki and HC Wiki aren't that different. Yes, they're starting to diverge, obviously, but for most things, it hasn't changed. (And in relevance to the topic, perfectly sensible to use to troubleshoot "is it me or the site loading slowly.")

The problematic wikis are the "wikia" and/or "fandom" ones, which weren't even up to date and/or solidly incorrect even well before shutdown.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, Aurora_Girl said:

I will continue to use it because it is useful. The HC Wiki is pretty much a standard copy. Very little has been updated to reflect the newer data. 

And, when I go to update certain things in the HC wiki, I find that it's already been updated, aside from a few things that weren't. (so I edit them and update it)

I get that it's a work in progress, but until that progress is complete, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it. It's the same thing, practically. I see no harm in it. 

Edited by Ukase
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, it does add a burden of FAQ to the Devs when someone takes it as gospel and complains "it's not working like they say it should!"

OTOH, I appreciate it as a historical reference that doesn't rely on the Wayback Machine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

4 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

OTOH, I appreciate it as a historical reference that doesn't rely on the Wayback Machine.

h1zj8lgwhwQUaKBor9s9bpt7U_WnsDTr3KJtO225

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

That's the ticket!

http://wayback.archive.org/

Peabody and Sherman are currently AFK, but feel free to use the machine!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

There's a distinction between using it and then telling a newer player to use it. 

I typically use the wiki myself to find the answer to a newer player's question if I don't know it off the top of my head. I'll know if I need the HC or can safely use the older version. 

I prefer the older one because of where the search text box location is, and it auto-fills. The HC Wiki is not the same in this regard. No idea why they changed that, but they did. Eventually, I'll get used to it. 

I have both bookmarked, but in my case, I play on HC and Rebirth. So, using the HC Wiki would sometimes be incorrect for that server. Thus, my affinity for the original version. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
On 12/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ukase said:

I prefer the older one because of where the search text box location is, and it auto-fills. The HC Wiki is not the same in this regard. No idea why they changed that, but they did. Eventually, I'll get used to it.

You can change it back in Preferences if you have an account.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ukase said:

I have both bookmarked, but in my case, I play on HC and Rebirth. So, using the HC Wiki would sometimes be incorrect for that server. Thus, my affinity for the original version.

Rebirth has its own wiki fork – it's actually older than HC's.  (I think. I'm not familiar with Rebirth, I only happened upon it once.)