Flour or Corn tortillas

Troo

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Tacos and quesadillas for everyone!

The question is (and this may impact my next character): Which do you prefer, flour or corn tortillas?

Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration held on the anniversary of Mexico's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, led by General Ignacio Zaragoza. The victory of a smaller, poorly equipped Mexican force against the larger and better-armed French army was a morale boost for the Mexicans. (go Ukrainians)

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

The question is (and this may impact my next character): Which do you prefer, flour or corn tortillas?

Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration held on the anniversary of Mexico's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, led by General Ignacio Zaragoza. The victory of a smaller, poorly equipped Mexican force against the larger and better-armed French army was a morale boost for the Mexicans. (go Ukrainians)

Soft corn or crispy?

For me, first and foremost, it's to retain the integrity of the wrapper as I eat.  I don't want taco guts spilling all over.  I might as well have nachos at that point.  Though I like the taste and texture of hard taco shells, they shatter all too easily, and that takes them off my list.  I prefer the taste of soft corn shells, but many are made too thin and again, don't have integrity.  If I can get a thicker soft corn tortilla, that's ideal.  Otherwise, I'll go towards a keto-mocking flour tortilla.  If I can get one of the admittedly rare whole-grain flour ones, that's almost as nice as the thick, soft corn tortillas.

(Great, I'm 30 minutes out from lunch and now I'm trying to decide which of a dozen nearby Tex-Mex establishments will satisfy this sudden craving.  Thanks for that! 😛)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Troo changed the title to Flour or Corn tortillas

I don't have a strong preference for either. I get soft corn tortillas during my weekly lunch trip to my favorite taco place. At home, I put a thin layer of refried beans on a soft flour tortilla and wrap that around a hard corn tortilla, into which the taco goodies go. Makes for a nice crunchy combo that won't fall apart.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, GuardianSaint said:

If I am buying them, flour.  If making my own, corn.

Oooo, nice

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

It depends on the entree in question, but I prefer to use corn when I can. Nothing beats carnita and a little queso fresco and pico on a corn tortilla. Also makes better enchiladas.

My job in pizza has me really tired of pizza, so I took to bulk buying cuts of meat and setting aside days to roll out dozens of burritos and freeze them. Those have to be made with flour tortillas.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

6 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Is a job in the Italian food biz the origin of the name "Spaghetti Betty" as opposed to the "Betty Spaghetti" kids doll?

Spaghetti Betty was something I came up with in high school joking around with a bunch of friends. There were a lot of names on the list, "Linguini Larry", "Bowtie Barry", "Ravioli Ronaldo"...

I had no idea about the doll.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

17 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I took to bulk buying cuts of meat and setting aside days to roll out dozens of burritos and freeze them.

How do you turn these back into food? Microwave? Cover in enchilada  sauce and bake? Share your magic!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

How do you turn these back into food? Microwave? Cover in enchilada  sauce and bake? Share your magic!

The pizza oven at work cooks them perfectly after thawing, with just a little bit of a crisp on the outside. On the rare occasion I eat one at home, I'll fry them up into chimichangas.

• Like 1

Let's be honest, I've never met a tortilla that I didn't like.  

(this is actually true of most carbs)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 hours ago, Troo said:

flour or corn tortillas?

Yes, please, and put some beans, beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream on them.

Chop chop.  My dinner isn't going to make itself.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

really tired of pizza

N E V E R !!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

N E V E R !!

I know, it's a shock to everyone I tell. But when you sell 200-300 pizzas a day, 5 days a week for a handful of years, it gets old.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

I know, it's a shock to everyone I tell. But when you sell 200-300 pizzas a day, 5 days a week for a handful of years, it gets old.

Hmm, perhaps you just need to change it up a bit.  I'm told if you add pineapple it makes pizzas magical.  So I'm told.  I've yet to see my garbage can sparkle.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 1

Hard shell tacos I just crunch up and make a taco salad out of. Soft tacos are burritos trying to hide in plain sight. If I go to a real Mexican restaurant and not Taco Hell it's fajitas all the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

• 2 weeks later

As someone raised in a Mexican family in New Mexico we grew up with both. A lot of the Spanish and Mexican people here have as well. Each type has specific purposes. Corn is for enchiladas, tacos, and fajitas. Flour is for breakfast (with butter or cinnamon and sugar), burritos. Both can be used for everyday sopping up of beans, sauces etc.

I think it is a New Mexico thing, this peaceful co-existence of flour and corn tortillas, both used and enjoyed by many Mexican-Americans.

Although I must agree about the damn gringos. When I am out of the predominantly Hispanic southwest, I can't find a good tortilla to save my life not to mention a restaurant labeled 'Mexican' I would voluntarily eat at. Poor gringos are missing out on some incredible food.

_____

https://apix-drive.com/en/flowxo

Edited by Daevon
  • Thumbs Up 1