Fly - Better but also worse

Super Speed - Better but also worse

Super Jump - WORSE

Super Jump + Combat Jumping - Not good

Teleport - Better

"Don't get us started on how the Stealth got all jacked up" - Others

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

@Spaghetti Betty I loved Super Jump. I used to be able to stop on a dime. I could jump half a mile and land right on the ledge I wanted.. now it's just a sloppy mess.

I haven't said anything until now because I wanted to try and get used to it. I use fly more now, sad.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Issue 27, Page 2

(that's right I gave it a year)

it sounded good..

Spoiler

Goals

When approaching these changes we had five main goals:

1. Real travel powers should always be a significant step up over the free options
    • Meaning: Temporary jetpacks should not be almost the same speed as Fly at level 50
  2. Real travel powers should never cause you to lose something you've already got
    • Meaning: Turning on Super Speed shouldn't cause you to lose Ninja Run's jump buff
  3. Classic travel powers should be on even footing with Origin Pool travel powers
    • Meaning: Fly and Mystic Flight should be different but equal options
  4. Slotting travel powers for speed should actually matter
    • Meaning: Putting a fly speed enhancement in Fly should make you fly faster
  5. Prestige Run and Temporary Jetpacks shouldn't be made any slower than they are currently
    • Meaning: A player who just wants to keep Ninja Run shouldn't lose anything

Note: This pass on the travel pools is primarily focused on the mobility of each set. The other aspects (such as the attacks) were not in the scope of these changes, but may be looked at in the future.

specifically with SJ, the numbers were fiddled with.

Spoiler

Leaping Pool

• Jump_LongJump.png.965618363ac8f16e7cc32209f5ee6b1c.png Super Jump
    • Now increases your jump speed cap by 30% while toggled on (from 78.2mph to 101.8mph)
      • This increased cap doesn't apply in PvP
    • Jump_HighJump.png.864db247afae2249525adce6d03d45ea.png Super Jump > Double Jump
      • New free secondary (server tray) power that doesn't require a power pick
      • Timed toggle, 30 second duration (10s in PvP), 30 second cooldown shared with Jump Pack and Steam Jump
      • Allows you to jump to an unlimited height and jump again mid-air
      • Null the Gull will allow you to hide Double Jump's pop-up tray

•  
Edited by Troo

1 hour ago, Troo said:

specifically with SJ, the numbers were fiddled with.

Hide contents

Leaping Pool

• Jump_LongJump.png.965618363ac8f16e7cc32209f5ee6b1c.png Super Jump
    • Now increases your jump speed cap by 30% while toggled on (from 78.2mph to 101.8mph)
      • This increased cap doesn't apply in PvP
    • Jump_HighJump.png.864db247afae2249525adce6d03d45ea.png Super Jump > Double Jump
      • New free secondary (server tray) power that doesn't require a power pick
      • Timed toggle, 30 second duration (10s in PvP), 30 second cooldown shared with Jump Pack and Steam Jump
      • Allows you to jump to an unlimited height and jump again mid-air
      • Null the Gull will allow you to hide Double Jump's pop-up tray

•  

This change is what made it hands down the best travel power in my opinion. Being able to travel as fast as old Super Speed with one jump SO removed my only complaint about SJ, and that's that it was slow. Bunnyhopping is fast as hell now, and nothing was lost for it. Double Jump is also super hella good because it means you can bunnyhop in mid air.

No other travel power feels like it benefitted as much from that update, but I'm a dirty SJ purist. I even speedrun cave maps with it cause I'm that smelly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I haven't used much SJ since the travel power change. I've liked it in the past, but don't have a lot of experiences with it since then.

I'd like those who like it a lot currently and those who don't like the changes to lay out their reasoning for why they now feel it's good/bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Andreah said:

I haven't used much SJ since the travel power change. I've liked it in the past, but don't have a lot of experiences with it since then.

I'd like those who like it a lot currently and those who don't like the changes to lay out their reasoning for why they now feel it's good/bad.

I liked Super Jump before it changed and still like it. Of the travel powers, it has the best combination of ease of use and control out of the box. Yeah, Fly is easier to use but it does not allow one to stop on a dime and you maneuver like an oil tanker when needing to make sudden turns. Teleport had better control if your destination is visible to you but need to drop down beneath a building or go around a corner and you will have to make an extra port. You also need to macro/bind it for ease of use. Super speed isn't hard to use, but when you need to go vertical...I was really good at finding ways to jump at speed but its work and some places (Boomtown, old Faultline) are your bane.

But I choose travel powers based on what I think best fits the character and use them all. Of late, I have come to really enjoy Speed of Sound because you get a version of Super Speed with a short ranged teleport to solve verticality issues.

• Like 1

Super Jump is Great.

Super Jump + Combat Jump is Perfect.

Super Jump + Combat Jump + Double Jump  is even more Perfecter.

If you are missing ledges at a half-mile range, maybe your internet provider has some explaining to do?

*Obviously these are all (correct) opinions, void where prohibited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

Super Jump is Great.

Super Jump + Combat Jump is Perfect.

Super Jump + Combat Jump + Double Jump  is even more Perfecter.

If you are missing ledges at a half-mile range, maybe your internet provider has some explaining to do?

*Obviously these are all (correct) opinions, void where prohibited.

This. SJ is my mostest favoritist travel power. 

I can't stand Super Speed.

Fly is fine and I use it quite often.

TP requires too many slots to be good.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I like Super Jump.  It's even better!

Turbo flight included free?  As standard?  GREAT!

If you want it have it with more 'finess?'  turn on hover at the same time?  UBER FISH!

Those are the two powers I use for travel over than...Athletic Run which was a kick az freebie.

Super Speed Or Super Stick (get trapped in bus shelters...not so much.

Azrael.

My travel powers are almost always thematic, which must mean I like Sprint+Athletic Run+whatever else I can stack. Fast travel has removed any great need I have to get from Point A to Point Q RIGHTNOWDAMNIT! Of my toons that have other than that, I actually like fly. Turbo makes it less this...

...when I'm flying

I will say (tiny rant) that I just don't dig double jump at all. It looks silly (a small deal), is illogical (bigger deal), and basically takes away any real trade-off between that and fly (other than hovering, I guess, which SJ does not have a version of). What they're saying is that what goes up doesn't always come down. It's...it's just not right, man! (pouts)

I guess I just think that all travel does not have to be equal. Seriously, with all the TPing, where's the real need to be faster (shadow shard, I guess?)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

3 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

I liked Super Jump before it changed and still like it. Of the travel powers, it has the best combination of ease of use and control out of the box. Yeah, Fly is easier to use but it does not allow one to stop on a dime and you maneuver like an oil tanker when needing to make sudden turns. Teleport had better control if your destination is visible to you but need to drop down beneath a building or go around a corner and you will have to make an extra port. You also need to macro/bind it for ease of use. Super speed isn't hard to use, but when you need to go vertical...I was really good at finding ways to jump at speed but its work and some places (Boomtown, old Faultline) are your bane.

But I choose travel powers based on what I think best fits the character and use them all. Of late, I have come to really enjoy Speed of Sound because you get a version of Super Speed with a short ranged teleport to solve verticality issues.

Now we can have Hover and Fly at the same time this is no longer the case. Stops on a dime and takes off at top speed without accelerating.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm quite content with hover/fly and super jump (the new version with the stomp).  I have a single character with superspeed w/teleport, and I've often considered respec'ing him out of that.  Too many canyon-like spots to get stuck in, too many tight caves to do a vertical faceplant. 

What might get me to like superspeed simply cannot be done in the game, which is make the vertical surfaces static-y allowing the speedster to run up walls.  That negates the canyon issue, though not necessarily the faceplant issue in tight caves.

I get a headache working teleport, which is sad because Nightcrawler is my favorite X-man.

I still say we should have had anti-grav grappling hooks.  We could "websling" anywhere then.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Now we can have Hover and Fly at the same time this is no longer the case. Stops on a dime and takes off at top speed without accelerating.

I do have a character who uses Fly+Hover, but that comes at the cost of an extra power slot.

I should probably see if I can find a good way to toggle them together, or at least get it down to one button to press.

Edited by Erratic1

I can tell roughly how long ago I made an alt by whether or not they have a travel power at all or not.

Nowadays, I start out with Athletic Run and a 5k inf flight pack from the P2W vendor, and with Sprint and (probably) Combat Jumping I'm good to go!

Exceptions:  Thematic characters, challenge builds, anything requiring two early picks from Sorcery or Force of Will power pools.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

Teleport, with slots, patience, and learning; along with a skid-load of the right binds, is hands down the best travel power for me -- I love it.  And I also hate it.

I even stopped taking hover to match with it.

If there was one small change I would want, it would be to have Combat Teleport not cancel the hover from Teleport.

Edited by Andreah
  • Like 1

I see no love for Infiltration.  Is Super Jump the better travel power of the two?  Yes.  But does it offer extras, like travel defense and stealth?  No.  It's also easy to cap your Jump Speed in infiltration, though jump height is where Super Jump has the lead.  Slot it with a Universal Travel set and it also offers very good run speed.  Some folks take random powers just so they can slot a 7.5% recharge proc from LotG, so  if you are going to do that, take one you'll use instead.

Summation:  Though Infiltration is not a first rate travel power, I would classify it as the best of the second tier ones.  It starts out better than the prestige travel powers like Athletic Run (10% greater specs), adds stealth and travel defense, and is slottable.   I think it is worth considering in many builds, especially if you already opened the Concealment Pool with the Stealth power.  (Note that Stealth and Infiltration are mutually exclusive, though. ) If you are a Kin, Infiltration moves into first+ tier travel, being buffed by Inertial Reduction.

Edited by cohRock
fixed phrasing (antecedant)
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

-- Rock

19 minutes ago, cohRock said:

I see no love for Infiltration.

Almost all of my characters use it.  I recognize that it's not as fast as Super Speed, but it's fast enough, and it doesn't jump as high as Super Jump, but it jumps high enough.  It's not the best at either movement, but it's good enough at both.  And I'm not competing in an imaginary race to determine who's digital penis is girthier, so if someone else is reaching a mission door 8.62 seconds sooner, or sneaking to the last room on a mission map 5 seconds faster, with another travel power, it doesn't mean anything to me.

As far as I'm concerned, Infiltration is the bee's knees.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.