would you pvp for prismatic aether things?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. would you pvp if prisms dropped from player kills?

• YES
    • NO

If nothing else that's been done over the last 4 years has managed to get more people involved in PvP, adding one more reward as a drop for player defeats won't do it either. The PvP scene was fairly active the first 2 or so years after HC popped up, probably out of some amount of nostalgia, but Homecoming's population is just too small to have any kind of consistent, meaningful PvP presence outside the occasional zone interaction.

• Thumbs Up 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

That seems like a great way to make people kill trade for Aether while hidden in the ocean in WB. In my experience adding more rewards to PvP doesn't make people want to pvp any more, it just makes them look for a safe way to exploit it at best, and angers those who want to pretend pvp does not exist at worst. They tried this with PvP IOs back on live, it didn't really work well.

Edited by Riot Siren
  • Thumbs Up 4

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

The only thing likely to get me to PvP would be to either:

A. Introduce a PvP mode that relies solely on a special build with only SOs or some equivalent, with no IOs, temp powers, accolades, or anything else - just your build against mine, with no advantage for having "deep pockets" or the time to farm / grind content.

and/or

B. A form of "Indirect PvP", where you and your team defend your base or area against waves of NPCs, I defend mine, and the winner is whoever holds out longer or achieves some goal, without us every directly fighting.

• Thumbs Up 3

i actually enjoy lurking in pvp zones, but this game isn't really designed around or balanced for pvp i don't think. lots of very fun characters and builds that are just not going to be able to be competitive without a lot of help from teammates, and it'll generate hard feelings.

i'd suspect that the aim is to get more people involved in pvp so that it'll be easier to find some action when you're looking. if that's the case, i think the best method available rn is to find other likeminded individuals and set up a time when you can all meet up and have a lil' fightclub or whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Owl Girl said:

i actually enjoy lurking in pvp zones, but this game isn't really designed around or balanced for pvp i don't think. lots of very fun characters and builds that are just not going to be able to be competitive without a lot of help from teammates, and it'll generate hard feelings.

i'd suspect that the aim is to get more people involved in pvp so that it'll be easier to find some action when you're looking. if that's the case, i think the best method available rn is to find other likeminded individuals and set up a time when you can all meet up and have a lil' fightclub or whatever.

therss a set of multiple builds for any character, and I'd agree some are more or less advantaged in powers deoending on choice of character.

as @biostem mentioned:

Introduce a PvP mode that relies solely on a special build with only SOs or some equivalent...

i like the idea of stripping down to SOs, accolades and incarnates etc removed - that flattens the set bonus madness and overpowered nonsenses that might otherwise arise.

take something like ffxiv pvp - its poorly balanced. and, its not fun.

but people play it, because the daily takes 20m and is about half a level of xp.

coh pvp IS fun, in my opinion, but theres no reward incentive to make people play, nor a queue option.

i think if it were a prism drop at a high rate, 20% or so, youd see some show up.

i dont know if they can cross server queue, my guess is no, and unit centric design of system might make that overly complex - a shard it to exist as a monolith shard, or was, and so is.

generally there, its might be time to merge some of these shards?  if cross server pooling cant be achieved.  we're down sub 100 on a number of them, yet those 100 would boost the remaining well.

id love to see zone invasions, or if were all a ghost town of it - spawns from player builds, as with posi 1 last mission.

itd be fun to encounter more like that, even if theyre server controlled.

more generally -  i still contest youd have floods to redside if there were loyalty-by-staying-time improved xp rates, or prism drops.

prisms are a good one to mess with, as they do not affect player power, and the market prices for them could use a taking down. ~1150Million for an aura costume, or 450M for a tier 2 costume, is a lot.

Edited by honoroit
  • Thumbs Up 1

My take on it is similar to where Mac was hitting on. During live I lived and breathed pvp in this game but that was mainly out of camaraderie playing with my old pvp team. That was the heyday of CoH for me. After CoH died and came back a couple of my old team popped in for a bit to check things out  but ended up leaving after the nostalgia wore off. @nojiyo stayed for a while and even got fairly heavily involved in the Indom PvP scene before the population started dropping. The rest of my old team either was busy with work, kids, university. I stayed to Everlasting and aside of the occasional zone/arena match there have stayed pretty much retired from CoH PvP because it just didn't feel the same without the old team.

PvP in this game has always been fairly polarizing. Even on the live servers the pvp population was maybe 10% of the main population.

I don't think prismatic aether's would really entice people to PvP. I mean hell the devs even gave everyone free lvl 50 toons (Temporal Warriors) to pvp with and you see they don't get used by the general player base too often. I'm not opposed to prismatic aether's being a pvp reward, but if they did they would need some of limit per character defeat within a time frame otherwise people would farm them in hidden areas and complain if someone came by and killed them in a pvp zone (just like people complaining about getting killed when they go get shivans, nukes, or are badging in PvP zones).

• Thumbs Up 1

Forward: Not a PVPer here. I have goofed off with friends on occasion, and it was all in good lighthearted fun. But I am far from a PVP expert.

That said, I think PVP already has some rewards like badges and so on. And adding another "might" work short-term, but I doubt any carrot on a stick will work long-term if that is the goal. You can't bribe people into enjoying a game activity they don't enjoy. They may do it for a while, but after a time it will become a chore and they will stop doing it. Now, while not a PVPer myself, I can sympathize with those that enjoy that part of the game needing more (willing) participation.

My advice? If you want PVP to possibly get more popular? Have its own special unique rewards - a currency, titles, costumes, something. "Exclusive" only to PVPers. And I don't mean the typical ones either. Have titles that actually take work to get, like "beat 1000 people in the arena" sort of thing. Also it might help if there were leagues or seasons of PVP, where things like wins/losses were kept track like any other kind of competitive activity. Perhaps even publically here on the forums. If there were reoccurring "seasons" of PVP, and special titles (not talking badge titles here, but titles similar to the DM events like 2021 base making contest and so on,) like "2023 League Champion" or whatever.

TLDR - Seasons, Titles, and Recording wins/losses would do much better than just adding loot that is already obtainable elsewhere.

If you want players to treat PVP seriously, then treat it seriously and not just randomly fighting in specific maps. It wouldn't take much to make PVP go from a "ganking contest" to a "contest between professionals" environment.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, honoroit said:

simple

If the goal is to get more people to PvP, I suggest you run and promote PvP events during your play time (which hopefully is a consistent time) so that  you can get a base of players that know PvP is going on at a set time/server.

Of course the challenge is to get relatively balances numbers on both sides.

So I would suggest making teams in a co-op zone and balancing the number of heroes and villains and then pick a zone to engage each other in combat (because I think the arena is pretty much garbage myself...)

You can post your event on the forums. 

You can talk it up in the forums.

But more important you can talk it up in /LFG.

The more consistent and balanced your mentoring the PvP experience for others is the more likely you will have others join you.

Of course, I get all the PvP I can handle.

The Market is the best and most balanced PVP in THE CITY.

And I get to PVP with pretty much everyone that plays!

En Garde!

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

PVP just isn't a big thing in game. I used to enjoy it before (a) you needed competitive IO builds, and if you don't have them, it's fairly pointless and (b) i13's changes made it essentially a separate game. Every once in a while I'll get into a fight and have fun with it, but... eh. Yeah, I'd think this would just end up with kill-farms instead  of actual PVP.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have entered PvP zones for 4 reasons:

To help a friend test their build.

For RP, which usually had to do with action regarding the pillboxes/meteors/etc and nothing to do with PvP.*

Exploration/Plaques

Day Job

*Funny story regarding that trip, 2 other players decided to attack our group (of 4), they must have been pretty confident in their builds but that wasn't enough.  I play a lot of support (Illusion/Emp Controller at this time) so got targeted first, popped off Flash and relocated while they were writhing. Now, I realize that controls have a reduced duration in PvP but I tend to build for controls rather than damage, actually nearly caused a team wipe in an STF because I confused Scirocco and the Tank lost aggro because he ran off to pound on Black Widow. Both attackers got sent to the hospital in short order and we continued about our business, we never saw them again.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Like Red said - Explore/Plaque/Badge/Job then:

"Siren's Call?  I have no clue where that's at pal, maybe try, I don't know, Talos Island, they have a lot of stuff named after mythological things."

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I suggest you run and promote PvP events during your play time (which hopefully is a consistent time) so that  you can get a base of players that know PvP is going on at a set time/server.

Of course the challenge is to get relatively balances numbers on both sides.

So I would suggest making teams in a co-op zone and balancing the number of heroes and villains and then pick a zone to engage each other in combat

Back in the days of Guardian...we did this. There were a group of several SGs that actively promoted it (Twilight Avengers on heroside and Haunt on villains side among others). We would have hardcore pvpers bringing in people just interested in learning and wanting to do try it out and learn.. we'd bring teams on comms and coordinate offensive/defensive strategy and have a blast.

We called it the Guardian Wars and it actually lasted a couple years or so. It was amazing seeing PvP zones full with people. It was not uncommon for the zone to be filled with about a 100 or so people. The guys at Haunt did a great job documenting it with screenshots and videos as well. Here's an old video I found of one of the lesser attended rounds.

Basically you get interest on both sides and show people you are having fun. If they are you are having fun they likely want to have fun too so invite them to come have fun as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

interesting responses!

you know, kupo, bribes work. bribing people to pvp would probably work.

now gank squads? thatd be awesome! it can actually be fun when baddies pounce, if there's enough people to respond in kind.

i dunno. i just want prisms AND pvp (invasions most).

and also hot buttered porridge with raw honey and raisins.

my desires are plain. prisms, pvp, and porridge.

Edited by honoroit

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Would I PvP if Prismatics dropped and the PvP community were completely replaced by less toxic people? Maybe 

I'm "retired" from PvP so my knowledge could be outdated, but what is toxic in the pvp community? I'm generally curious as my whole experience with pvp from a community aspect overall has been people helping people. Sure I may have been ganked a few times in zone but it doesn't cost me cost or repair bills and I went through the door by the big sign now entering a pvp zone.

I feel the pvp community has gotten a bad reputation in general over the years, but in my experience they share builds, coach people in PvP strategy. I know multiple pvpers over the years myself included that have completely outfitted characters  with full sets of IOs or power leveled countless alts for people that had shown an interest in actually pvping.

I'm not trying to point fingers or what not, just generally curious as it seems to me that pvpers in this game have been the most ostracized and persecuted group of players in CoH's existence.

• Like 1