What difficulty you play at (solo)

When leveling, what difficulty do people play on? (Just curious.) Myself, depends on the AT - for brutes usually lvl+0, team size +3, MM it's 0/4 and all ranged it's 0/2, while Stalker it depends a bit on the mission type - but mostly 2/1

Varies widely based on AT, slotting, level range and faced opponents.

But if I had to average it out…..

Melee (Tankers/Brutes/Scrappers/Stalkers and some Sents): +2/x6 from levels 32+.  Grow to +3/x6 by late 30’s.  Move to +4/x8 by early 40’s. 

Ranged/Ranged Support (Blasters/Corrs/Defenders): +2/x5 until nuke obtained/slotted around level 35-38.  Then same as Melee.

MM’s and Controllers: usually +2/x5 until mid 40’s, then jump to +3/x6.  Typically capable of +4/x8 by level 50.

VEAT/HEAT/Doms: Really depends on build and slotting.  But typically follow Melee progression or Ranged/Ranged Support.

So looking at the above, I’m playing most of the pre-45 game on average at +2/x5.  Post 45 it’s mostly +3/x8 until you get to 50.  Then it’s always +4/x8 regardless of AT.  I tend to “rank” AT’s by the level at which they are fully capable of +4/x8 without much effort.  Some get there faster than others, and some get there but with more effort/time.  If I cannot get them there, I park them at 50 and/or melt them down and delete them as they have no place in my library of alts.  I’ve more that CAN/COULD than those that met the melting process.

Depends on which character I'm playing, what I'm playing against, how I'm feeling any particular day, if the content's new or not...

I rarely run at something like +4x8. I don't find it interesting, just kind of annoying. (Short of farming.) It doesn't do anything interesting but take more time to punch more hit points away, and I'm not in a rush to level (typically. If I *am* in a rush to level for some reason, I have friends who run farms and I'll hop in there and BS with them for a while, which is far more interesting.) Plus, honestly, it's kind of hard on the suspension of disbelief for me - this low level gang or super secret elite group somehow has 100,000 members *in this one building, all waiting for you?* And in the next five, too? Meh.

Otherwise? Anything from base to ... let's call it upper-mid level difficulties, depending again on who and what I'm running, what I'm facing and what I want to get done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Depends on level and AT, but generally +1x3 through the 30s and +2x4 after that. With incarnates increases to +3 with a +1 shift or +4 with a +3 shift. Most of my builds are capable of x8, but I find it too much of a slog.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

WoW - crazy numbers 😮 - I'm pretty new to actually playing the game for real XD Played it since launch, and then on off while it was alive, but it's not until I returned I got a toon passed level 35 and I didn't really dabble to much in IO's - So really suprised to see people playing +2/+6 on level 30's stuff. Unless you have a crazy setup I see no way a toon can make that alone by that level 😮

But I'm inspired to up them rookie numbers 😄

hardcore mode rules dictate that I raise difficulty a notch every 10 levels starting at 20, ending at +4 for 50 onwards. mob sizes differs on AT, but most permadeath toons stay at x1.

on non-hardcore toons, I've found that +4x2, +3x5/6, or +2x8 (depending on the AT/powers) are my sweet spots for gaining the best XP for effort put in. anything higher eats up too much time. However, the recent extra XP gain has screwed that formula up and I end up out-levelling a lot of contacts or favourite arcs.

I step out of Outbreak/Breakout and put my settings at +1/x1, bosses, AV (the last one I'll take back if it's too much, but it's generally doable).  Regardless of AT.

Then I will up things as I see fit.  A reasonable progression is +1/x1 to +1/x3 to +2/x3 to +2/x5 to +3/x5 to +3/x8.  I'm almost always at +3/x8 in my 40s and usually wait for +4 until I ding 50, but not always.  

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Project said:

When leveling, what difficulty do people play on? (Just curious.) Myself, depends on the AT - for brutes usually lvl+0, team size +3, MM it's 0/4 and all ranged it's 0/2, while Stalker it depends a bit on the mission type - but mostly 2/1

As others have stated, depends on AT.  Always set to solo bosses.  But generally, I'm set at +0 or +1 and x3.  If the toon has really great AOEs, I'll up it to x6 or more, depending.  Sometimes, I'll up it to +2.  But otherwise, it's just a slog-fest trying to get through a mission with anything too high.  That's why I'll also have AV setting set to EBs. 

I care more about getting through the story (with a bit of a challenge) and moving to the next story arc to experience it.  I am in no rush to get to 50.  

When an incarnate and level shifted, I am generally +3 or +4x8, depending on AT and build.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't solo to level normally, but to complete story arcs.

So I'll generally run at 0/x1.

If I'm running in the Mirror Kingdom, I'll just run -1/x1 cause my xp is off 3/4 of the time anyhow, Rusty. 

My general default is +0x4 with bosses on. Allows packs to have some variety and reward priority targeting solo but nothing turns into an irritating HP wall that just takes forever to kill. This moves to +2x4 around the 30s with more offensive characters or the 50s with defensive, and +4x4 by the 50s with the offensive characters.

I do +4x4 or +4x8 with L50+ Going Rogue or later content that already has better monster design, usually. 

Edited by Sunsette

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Solo i run default: +0/x1, AVs are EB.  I do not enjoy farming but i can roll in this forever.  

FsgDG-HaEAAEqZy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

+0/x1 default all the way until level 25-32 depending on AT. Then I'll bump to +1 or +2 but still keep it at x1. I value story arc completion and reward merits as much as the additional xp. At around late 20s/30s though, leveling slows a bit so bumping up difficulty still allows for a decent leveling speed while completing arcs.

+0/x2-3 usually. I can usually handle more minions on any AT. After that, just depends on how it’s going. I’m usually not in a super hurry to level up when soloing. I like the merits from arc completions.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Most of the time I am not solo.

When I am solo, generally +0/x1 because I'm speedrunning for the reward or a badge most of the time.  If I'm on a tank or brute with a lot of AoE, I'll go to x3 or x4 on the team size since it feels more efficient.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

Solo i run default: +0/x1, AVs are EB.  I do not enjoy farming but i can roll in this forever.  

Thirding this. 

I don't often solo, and when I do it tends to be running MA stories (I once started trying to farm some tips with am MM just to have something to do, but that was dull).  MA custom designed foes can be pretty deadly, so to play it safe and not end up exasperated, I keep it low, usually.  I have once or twice walked out of one thinking "well that was almost boring" and so inched upped the level, or the team size metric, just to add a little more work to everything - that really depends on which toon I'm playing though.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I start at +0x1.  I typically stay there until i'm past Savior of Atlas Park/Freedom Cracker, at which point I usually turn on Solo Bosses.  If on a higher damage AT I typically go to x2 after level 10, lower damage stays at x1 for a bit longer.  As I keep leveling I bump my difficulty up as I go though by how much is AT and power dependent.  High damage ATs are usually at x4 by 30-35, low damage will often lag behind a bit and stay at x3.  By level 50 the strongest ATs are usually at x6 while weaker ATs stay at x4; without major build completion and confidence this is usually where it stays but if I have that i'll set it to x8.  Incarnate stuff doesn't usually bump me up further, I will typically +1 after getting the Alpha level boost and will +2 and +3 after getting Lore and Destiny shifts while i'm in Dark Astoria or running BV/Number Six.  At no point do I enable Solo AVs, they're not worth it.  I'll solo them in TFs if need be but not in normal missions.

Praetora stays at +0x1 until First Ward due to the fact that you can outlevel contacts too easily, but I still do solo bosses at 10.  If I manage to clear a storyline and am still underleveled to move on i'll bump to x2 for one of the repeatable missions before backing down to x1 again. First Ward gets bumped to x2 or x3 depending on AT since the level range is much greater and harder to overlevel.

I make some exceptions for specific missions: Moonfire's first two missions are set to x6 to make Vampire and Wolf farming more productive.  Brother Hammond's last mission is set to at least x4 to spawn large groups of Gremlins for the Electrician badge.  Investigate Warrior Earth is always x8 because Warrior Earth Praetorians are a complete joke.  IVy's first mission for the Loyalist Responsibility arc gets bumped to x3 and XP disabled since this is the only time a Responsible Loyalist can farm Failed Experiements without needing a repeat mission or the Great Escape event.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I run default and even then tend out outlevel arcs incredibly quickly. I also prefer to finish missions quickly, rather than slog through them.

I could probably up difficulties in later levels once the toon is SO/IOed up a bit. Maybe once I get bored of low level content on my xth alt. 

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

mom always said that all you need is a free hand and a will to live.

Like many I am a 0/+1 person because of the story.  I solo about 1/2 of the time (often not enough time to participate in a TF).  Now Melee types with their armors I will bump up a little, say +1x2 or +1x3.  Some will have Bosses turned on because a challenge isn't such a bad thing.  AV's are EBs though because again, I am not looking for a slog.

The exception is when I feel one of my characters is really good, good enough to test the waters of higher difficulty; there are a few, +2x5, +3x5 and +4x5 but the giant mob deal kind of bugs me (aesthetically).  I am tempted to try and take on some AVs solo but again, consistent play time and fun defines my settings.  I appreciate that they exist because while I do play a lot and have played for a very long time, I am no elite player and like the fact that with the exception of TF/SF/Trial, I can play most of the content solo if I want to.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)