why cannot people use words right? Remote bomb... remote?

Devices - Remote Bomb

• Time Bomb for Blaster > Devices has been replaced with Remote Bomb.
  • This can be placed on either an enemy or the ground, but once placed activating the power again will manually detonate the bomb. Remote Bomb can be set off the moment it is successfully placed.
  • If the mob that the Remote Bomb was attached to is defeated, the Remote Bomb will fall to the ground at that location.

I look at this, and because i am an idiot, i assume you can place this.  remotely.

re·mote
[rəˈmōt]
adjective
remote (adjective) · remoter (comparative adjective) · remotest (superlative adjective)
(of a place) situated far from the main centers of population; distant:
"I'd chosen a spot that looked as remote from any road as possible" · "a remote Oregon valley"
distant in time:
"a golden age in the remote past"
having very little connection with or relationship to:
"the theory seems rather intellectual and remote from everyday experience"
distantly related:
"a remote cousin"
conducted or working away from a usual workplace or location, making use of communications technology:
"companies will understand that remote working can be helpful for employees" · "she said teachers deserved more credit for the success of remote learning" · "these jobs are largely virtual and may be open to remote workers from any location"
(of an electronic device) operating or operated by means of radio or infrared signals:
"a second feature allows pagers to be alerted from remote alarm sensors"
computing
denoting a device that can only be accessed by means of a network. Compare with local
(of a chance or possibility) unlikely to occur:
"chances of a genuine and lasting peace become even more remote"
(of a person) aloof and unfriendly in manner:
"Snarky seemed remote and patronizing"

here is what it looks like in combat... arms length.  remote.

image.png.b392ab17020f7336a1b57f9e53479392.png

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not taking it on my AR/Dev, but I assume it is for solo play. You sneak in attach it to some unsuspecting minion, then retreat to your hidey-hole and set it off. Just because you can set it off at arms length doesn't mean you have to.

Now on my Arsenal/Traps Controller, I do set it off in close quarters, on the boss usually, because he is held helplessly or standing there vomiting uncontrollably, and it just feels like raw villany. So there's that.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

[..blah] 
denoting a device that can only be accessed by means of a network. Compare with local
(of a chance or possibility) unlikely to occur:
"chances of a genuine and lasting peace become even more remote"
(of a person) aloof and unfriendly in manner:
"Snarky seemed remote and patronizing"

here is what it looks like in combat... arms length.  remote.

Well ...
- if we're being pedantic, let's all learn the difference between Less and Fewer.

Less is for a single value. Temperature, Size, etc.

Fewer is for many things. People, Marbles, Bananas etc.

There are not less people, there are fewer people.

It's pedantry because if we understand what you mean, that's fine. 

I understand what is meant by "Remote Bomb", so that's fine by me.

• Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

If we're really shooting for accuracy here it would work like Fly and Afterburner. Activate Remote Bomb and it gives you a temp tray with Detonator.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

OP, you answered your own question.
(of an electronic device) operating or operated by means of radio or infrared signals:
"a second feature allows pagers to be alerted from remote alarm sensors"

That's it right there. It's an electronic device which can be operated by means of radio or infrared signals.

"Remote bombs" have been used in video games for years, and it seems to work exactly like an experienced gamer would expect.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZemX said:

It is absolutely remote.  The entire point is to EXPLODE it remotely so you can do this...

image.png.fa7565de296bc005b64e8ea2892645a0.png

The fact you took what was essentially a fluffy throwaway so seriously is actually flattering and slightly odd too but hey 👍

To be kind of serious for a moment (a rare event I know but hang in there) I think we might be focusing on the wrong word.

The operative word in the power is actually Bomb.

A bomb rarely ever moves under its own power prior to explosion. They tend to be static (unless free falling from aircraft for example) and have limited guidance, if any at all.

Mostly bombs are placed or dropped are totally reliant on that placement to determine their effectiveness. The only way you can change that is to add a motor of some kind to your bomb, but that then makes is a "Missile" which is another thing entirely and would require a different name. A missile can be delivered remotely but will only very rarely lie around waiting for some unfortunate to pass by before doing its job. Missiles tend to be aimed, fired and then explode post-haste. It's all rather quick in the scheme of things, unless it is faulty.

Bombs, by definition can be set to go off on impact, or when other certain preconditions are met, such as time's passage, air pressure, a very unfortunate foot etc.

So yeah, I'm good with remote bomb in theory. It's a bomb. You put it down, walk a safe distance, and activate it, remotely.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

53 minutes ago, Lines said:

I'm hearing problems, but I'm not hearing solutions.

I motion that the power name be change to "kabloomy bomb".

I suggest, "Distant Bang-Bang"

• Microphone 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Lines said:

Placement is critical. I propose "Oh Sh!"

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

7 hours ago, biostem said:

Yeah.. They should have called it "Remotely Detonated Bomb", because that is the only aspect of it that can be done, well, remotely...

Well...if being picky (grin) it should actually be "Command Detonated Explosive Device" if going by actual EOD standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget about the word Plethora. Plethora suggests quantity AND variety. So many people don't realize this. 

I know a plethora of words. But I've no idea how to accurately pronounce plethora. I've read it. Used in in my own writing, but I don't think I've ever spoken the word aloud. 

I'll hush now. 

• Pizza (Pineapple) 2

3 hours ago, Lines said:

I motion that the power name be change to "kabloomy bomb".

Nah, I vote it be renamed to Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

"... jella boom."

"Boom, yeah.  I understand boom."

"Bada boom."

"Big."

"Big!"

"Big bada boom."

"Big.  Bada big boom.  Big!  Boom!"

"Yeah, big bada boom."

"Bada boom."

"Big.  Boom, big bada boom."

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

And I says 'yeah, baby!' 'Cause I'm the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight! Aaaaa-hahahahahahahaha!

See! This is why we need more letters in our character names! Can't even get close!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

"why cannot people use words right? Remote bomb... remote?"

• Why can't people use words right?
  • Why can't people use words correctly?
  • Why don't people use words correctly?

/em bored

• Thumbs Left 1
  • Banjo 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I’d go so far as to say that anyone who sets a bomb that is not detonated remotely is doing it wrong. The “remote” part is superfluous. 

2 hours ago, Go0gleplex said:

"Command Detonated Explosive Device"

This is the Way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.

7 minutes ago, Pleonast said:

I’d go so far as to say that anyone who sets a bomb that is not detonated remotely is doing it wrong.

tumblr_md57mqdfUU1rv8b97o2_r2_500.gif

Much more fun this way.

• Haha 2

Ultimately, whatever terminology we use, or how we figure out its operation, I'm struggling to work out how you can "arrest" someone with a high explosive device by detonating it. Unless you want to arrest some of them here, a bit over there, some more under that door lying on the ground, a bit through that hole in the wall and a large chunk of them in the next street.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Ultimately, whatever terminology we use, or how we figure out its operation, I'm struggling to work out how you can "arrest" someone with a high explosive device by detonating it. Unless you want to arrest some of them here, a bit over there, some more under that door lying on the ground, a bit through that hole in the wall and a large chunk of them in the next street.

They are definitely arrested.  

Arrest; a stoppage or sudden cessation of motion

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

They are definitely arrested.  

Arrest; a stoppage or sudden cessation of motion

Arrest = Constipation

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm struggling to work out how you can "arrest" someone with a high explosive device by detonating it.

Loudly, rapidly and conclusively.

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1