I hope people realize that Ambient Occlusion is bad

27 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Limit what someone can say in one post, they'll make more posts, or post .jpgs of what they want to say with as many words as they feel they need to say it.  Limit how many posts someone can make, they'll make more accounts.  Limit how many accounts someone can have by IP or e-mail address, they'll find ways to get different IPs or make new e-mail addresses.  When someone is determined to speak, they'll find a way to be heard.  And the more restrictions imposed, the more people will fight, even if they wouldn't otherwise, even if they don't feel that it affects them at all.

Such a limitation would also encourage more direct, less polite responses which would lead to more strife, less open discussion and a loss of the friendly, relaxed attitude which has always been at the heart of the Co* forums.  Rather than encouraging the poster to write a detailed reply, a limitation of this nature would promote shorter, more aggressive tones.  A reply such as, "Over my dead fucking body, you fascist piece of shit", for example, rather than the paragraph above, would fit within a theoretical character limit and express the same sentiment, but it wouldn't be friendly, or informative.  It would not result in discussion or spark thoughtful discourse, it would only incite conflict.

As I've said many times in the past, this isn't a road we want to travel.  It's one way, and the destination is a desolate, ruined place where nothing grows and no-one wants to be.

One word per post.  Thanks Luminara.  My new forum style...

• Banjo 1

Just now, Snarky said:

One word per post.  Thanks Luminara.  My new forum style...

Bonus points if you Rickroll the entire forum that way.

• Haha 3
  • Banjo 1
  • Microphone 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

It has nothing to do with AI.

AO is about light shading on a mapped, irregular surface.
You have to build the cues into the scene/surfaces.  It's not subject to automation.

No, no, hyper. They're not asking if the graphics setting/technique has anything to do with AI.  They're wondering if the *poster* is going through and using AI given their posts consistently being ... well, like their posts.

• Banjo 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

i can get an AI to do that for me?

Well ... two quick prompts into GPT3.5 ...

In the bustling digital metropolis of Paragon City, there resided a noble hero by the name of Captain Chuckle. Donning a colorful costume adorned with a cape that fluttered behind him like a beacon of hope, Captain Chuckle patrolled the streets, ever vigilant against the forces of villainy.

One eventful day, Captain Chuckle found himself in need of allies to tackle a particularly perilous task force. With a determined spirit and a hint of excitement, he rallied fellow heroes from across the Homecoming servers to join his cause. As the team assembled, Captain Chuckle couldn't help but feel a surge of anticipation. Little did he know, his heroic journey was about to take a hilariously unexpected turn.

The team delved into the heart of a villainous lair, facing off against nefarious villains and diabolical traps. But alas, it seemed luck was not on their side. Each encounter ended in chaos, with heroes falling like dominoes in a particularly clumsy game of superhero tag. Undeterred by the setbacks, Captain Chuckle tried to lighten the mood with his trademark wit. "Fear not, comrades! Though we may stumble and fall, our heroic efforts shall be remembered as the stuff of legends... or perhaps a blooper reel for the Paragon City News!"

Yet, his attempts at humor were met with silence, the other heroes seemingly too focused on their screens to appreciate his jests.

Despite the mounting challenges and the growing frustration of his fellow heroes, Captain Chuckle refused to lose his sense of humor. "Ah, it seems we've stumbled upon the infamous boss of Miscommunication!" he quipped as yet another misunderstanding led to disaster. But even Captain Chuckle's unwavering spirit couldn't salvage the situation. The task force proved to be an insurmountable challenge for the ragtag group, and soon they found themselves facing defeat.

As the virtual dust settled and the echoes of their failure reverberated through Paragon City, Captain Chuckle couldn't help but chuckle to himself. Though the villains may have bested them this time, the bond forged in the fires of chaos was a treasure far more valuable than any accolade.

And so, with a hearty laugh and a twinkle in his eye, Captain Chuckle bid farewell to his fellow heroes, knowing that even in the darkest of times, a sense of humor could shine as brightly as any superpower.

I'm sure if one were to put more than 30 seconds of effort into it, one could get a rousing tale of their PUG experience gone a south to rival any of your previous missives upon the topic. 😉

Edited by InvaderStych
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Banjo 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

I'm sure if one were to put more than 30 seconds of effort into it, one could get a rousing tale of their PUG experience gone a south to rival any of your previous missives upon the topic. 😉

Like any tool, AI can be used for heroism or villainy, the choice is in your hands.

They're pretty good at proofreading and grammar, or for finding a more formal, long winded voice.

AI's can be used to put together quality material, but it takes some effort.

You can start with asking an AI to outline a post or story. You set the conditions, specify the major point or arguments you are making, or the flavor and highest level arc of the story. Then you can revise or critique the material the AI provides. You can question or interrogate it about thing you didn't like, you can insist it bring up more points or add details you want in a story. You can ask it to revise the voice of the material it's creating.

If you do all this well, you've used AI pretty well, and the resulting material will sound good and be convincing. Maybe even enough to be fair to call it your own work.

But if three different people chime in and ask which AI produced the material, well, it may need more of the real author's effort.

-----

Finally, I am now wondering if I could feed a CoH combat log into an AI, and with some prompting, have it describe the battle in a dramatic manner. :D 

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

My hopes that this individual, and his/her/its works will be excised at the earliest available juncture, but just wanted to bring in a quick point of personal recollection.

Over twenty years ago, on trekrpg.net, there was an individual called Red Quacker.  The person - if I might use that title - engaged in the same sort of I-want-to-stir-the-hornets'-nest attention-getting tactics that this one does.  This individual became a subject of site-wide bemusement, and, finally, boredom - because you can only stir the hornets' nest for so long before they've all taken off.  Temnix will inspire his (presuming "his") share of head-shaking amusement, then disregard, and will, hopefully, zip out when "he" realizes that no one's paying attention anymore.

As a quick by-the-way, on trekrpg.net, Red Quacker's account and posts were ultimately deleted.  For the best, really, although there were the occasional, "Whatever happened to...?" posts over the years.

• Banjo 1

21 minutes ago, Andreah said:

You can question or interrogate it about thing you didn't like

Two questions.

One, how does one tie an AI to a chair, and two, since it doesn't have a face (generally,) where do you shine the light?

• Banjo 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 minutes ago, Greycat said:

One, how does one tie an AI to a chair

With Cat5.  But not until after the third or fourth date.

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

11 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Two questions.

One, how does one tie an AI to a chair, and two, since it doesn't have a face (generally,) where do you shine the light?

Right up its localhost port.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Limit what someone can say in one post, they'll make more posts, or post .jpgs of what they want to say with as many words as they feel they need to say it.  Limit how many posts someone can make, they'll make more accounts.  Limit how many accounts someone can have by IP or e-mail address, they'll find ways to get different IPs or make new e-mail addresses.  When someone is determined to speak, they'll find a way to be heard.  And the more restrictions imposed, the more people will fight, even if they wouldn't otherwise, even if they don't feel that it affects them at all.

Such a limitation would also encourage more direct, less polite responses which would lead to more strife, less open discussion and a loss of the friendly, relaxed attitude which has always been at the heart of the Co* forums.  Rather than encouraging the poster to write a detailed reply, a limitation of this nature would promote shorter, more aggressive tones.  A reply such as, "Over my dead fucking body, you fascist piece of shit", for example, rather than the paragraph above, would fit within a theoretical character limit and express the same sentiment, but it wouldn't be friendly, or informative.  It would not result in discussion or spark thoughtful discourse, it would only incite conflict.

As I've said many times in the past, this isn't a road we want to travel.  It's one way, and the destination is a desolate, ruined place where nothing grows and no-one wants to be.

No offense, but you put way too much thought into me throwing out a joke 

• Haha 2
  • Banjo 1

29 minutes ago, Greycat said:

No light. Leave them locked in a completely dark room and play recordings just outside the door of people screaming in pain.

After 2-3 days of that everyone talks. Everyone.

• Banjo 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

35 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No light. Leave them locked in a completely dark room and play recordings just outside the door of people screaming in pain.

After 2-3 days of that everyone talks. Everyone.

Nah, I vote for a darkened anechoic chamber.

• Banjo 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

LOL, okay.  You needed five paragraphs to tell us that *YOU* don't like a particular effect.  Understood.

• Banjo 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 minutes ago, Parabola said:

I'm pretty sure the OP is engaged in some obscure form of performance art at this point.

Performance art? That's what we're calling it now? Ok...

78930a3315fee216068fe742e8e80d61.gif

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

4 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

It's like RAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNN ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These wounds they will not heeeeeal!

• Haha 2
  • Banjo 1

9 hours ago, Greycat said:

No, no, hyper. They're not asking if the graphics setting/technique has anything to do with AI.  They're wondering if the *poster* is going through and using AI given their posts consistently being ... well, like their posts.

Ahh.  Then i revise my statement to "Chop both your feet off, sew them back on and chop them off again, further up your leg and feed the pegs into a giant pencil sharpener"

• Banjo 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Nah, I vote for a darkened anechoic chamber.

Lock them into a wetsuit in a warm liquid tank...and set a small drip to fall on their forehead...

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Lock them into a wetsuit in a warm liquid tank...and set a small drip to fall on their forehead...

Nah, the dripping water drives them crazy. You don't want to break their sanity. It's nearly impossible to get actionable intel from a person in that state.

By keeping them in the dark and letting them hear scary sounds for a couple of days they get hungry, can't sleep, and they keep imaging what's happening to cause those sounds. When you bring them out it makes them feel like you've rescued them, and they'll tell you everything.

• Banjo 1

• Booper changed the title to I hope people realize that Ambient Occlusion is bad

Wow...90% of these responses are pure garbage. The way you all ganged up on the OP and trolled the ever living shit out of him is completely telling of your personality. Reading this one thread is a great reminder of why I stopped posting except on rare occasion. A bunch of weaklings trying to be tough...what a joke. It is purely disgusting; great example of the positive community you claim to be. Quite frankly I find 90% of the "people" that post this forum to be complete and utter trash. All one needs for proof of this is to read this thread. I can only imagine the retaliation one would apply if half of these things were said to his/her face...lucky for these posters here, they have anonymity of the interwebs, which is exactly why they behave this way. You all make me sick. Have any of you considered that maybe the OP has something going on like maybe autism? You simply don't know, yet here you are, acting like a bunch of internet tough guy bullies...you really make me sick.

Oh, and so that the lower I.Q. can get a better understanding of what a "Wall of Text" actually is? It's not the OP's post. This individual actually uses proper punctuation and uses paragraphs. Only 4 paragraphs and you numb skulls react like this? The thought of having to read something longer than it takes to watch a tiktok video...the agony... Here, let me show you...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wall of text

What's really messed up, is that I have seen over half of you write that same "wall of text" yet none of you call out each other over it, do you? Nothing to see here except a bunch of internet tough guys who couldn't whoop their way out of a wet paper bag.

I'm sure this post will be deleted, God forbid somebody put you precious little snowflakes in your place. Bunch of panzies.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Moose 4
  • Banjo 1

20 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Wow...90% of these responses are pure garbage. The way you all ganged up on the OP and trolled the ever living shit out of him is completely telling of your personality. Reading this one thread is a great reminder of why I stopped posting except on rare occasion. A bunch of weaklings trying to be tough...what a joke. It is purely disgusting; great example of the positive community you claim to be. Quite frankly I find 90% of the "people" that post this forum to be complete and utter trash. All one needs for proof of this is to read this thread. I can only imagine the retaliation one would apply if half of these things were said to his/her face...lucky for these posters here, they have anonymity of the interwebs, which is exactly why they behave this way. You all make me sick. Have any of you considered that maybe the OP has something going on like maybe autism? You simply don't know, yet here you are, acting like a bunch of internet tough guy bullies...you really make me sick.

Oh, and so that the lower I.Q. can get a better understanding of what a "Wall of Text" actually is? It's not the OP's post. This individual actually uses proper punctuation and uses paragraphs. Only 4 paragraphs and you numb skulls react like this? The thought of having to read something longer than it takes to watch a tiktok video...the agony... Here, let me show you...

What's really messed up, is that I have seen over half of you write that same "wall of text" yet none of you call out each other over it, do you? Nothing to see here except a bunch of internet tough guys who couldn't whoop their way out of a wet paper bag.

I'm sure this post will be deleted, God forbid somebody put you precious little snowflakes in your place. Bunch of panzies.

You're taking out of context. I don't expect to change your mind by saying this.

The OP has an historial (the repeated 'check their post history' in this and other threads) which is what prompted the responses. You see this in zero other threads because the community is not bad as a whole.

To you this is the community ganging up on someone innocent. To us this the the Nth time the OP has posted something inane. And even then no one has been straight out rude or mean as your own post was trying to be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

What a tantrum you’ve thrown here 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Banjo 1