The AT Just Doesn't Have IT

Hexquisite

Ok . . . so, there seems to be a common thread revealing itself in regard to Masterminds . . . 

Might I encourage folks who didn't "get" Masterminds to give one more particular style a try?

Traps.

Specifically; get up to level 20 and get yourself Poison Trap.  Dive in to battle head first and drop that sucker at the feet of your enemies, then follow it up with an Acid Mortar.  Have your Henchpets in Bodyguard mode so they suck up the damage you're about to suffer.  Then party down with anything and everything at your disposal.

See if that does it for you?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Ok . . . so, there seems to be a common thread revealing itself in regard to Masterminds . . . 

Might I encourage folks who didn't "get" Masterminds to give one more particular style a try?

Traps.

Specifically; get up to level 20 and get yourself Poison Trap.  Dive in to battle head first and drop that sucker at the feet of your enemies, then follow it up with an Acid Mortar.  Have your Henchpets in Bodyguard mode so they suck up the damage you're about to suffer.  Then party down with anything and everything at your disposal.

See if that does it for you?

That involves getting to level 20...

10 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Paganism.

It's not just for Heretics anymore ...

Quoting the summary as not to flood the thread. But this, THIS, is the new way. Label me a born-again mastermind. It really works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Brutes.

I don't mind Melee. I prefer being in the thick of things. I don't like the Fury mechanic... I don't know if its having one more thing to watch, or if it is just that I easily distract myself in game (Auction House, reading dialog, chatting) but I just don't enjoy the Brute.

No AT for me ever really felt like it wasn't a fit, though I do tend to build for concept and pick whatever set combination in whatever AT will best support it. That said, I still haven't made a Peacebringer for some reason.

To the matter of Masterminds, I found that playing one with Provoke as a Tankermind really changed things up compared to the more "standard" Mastermind wisdom. My first MM on the live servers, which I made on the CoV headstart launch, was a Necro/Poison. With the targeted healing being weak, an ability to heal myself directly, and my pets able to heal themselves a bit on their own, picking up Provoke and running around in Bodyguard Mode all the time felt like the correct thing to do. Only AoE damage was really a problem, and that's true for every MM.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

24 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:
11 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Paganism.

It's not just for Heretics anymore ...

Quoting the summary as not to flood the thread. But this, THIS, is the new way. Label me a born-again mastermind. It really works.

Yet more proof (as if we needed any more of it) that I'm a Bad Influence™ on all of you people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

6 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

I've succeeded with all but Controllers. And I'm still convinced I can make them work... I just can't play them as Controllers.

Try Gravity Control.  The powerset plays more like a Blaster who happens to mez ...

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, GastlyGibus said:

Peacebringers and Warshades.

No matter how hard I try or what kind of concept I go for, I can never stick with them for long. They both feel like AT's that are trying to do everything but aren't capable of doing anything as well as other AT's. I know some will disagree and say I'm wrong, but that's just my personal experience. I never know what to do with them and they always just feel so underwhelming to me.

This is a pretty good summary on my experiences with kheldians as well.  They do a million things, but just don't feel right when I try to play them.  One of my friends can PL a character from one to fifty in a couple hours with triple boxed wsarshades, but for myself trying to get even ONE warshade to 50 is an exercise in frustration. :)

Masterminds. I had one on live, but here I just simply can't be bothered. 

Doms would be another but I rolled an Earth/earth and loved it. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Tankers/Brutes don't do it for me, but I think that's just a personal playstyle preference in most games I play. I just have never been a fan of the tanking role. Outside of that personal preference, I don't think there is anything inherently off-putting about any of the ATs.

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

To chime in with @Redlynne, my Masteemind thread in the suggestion forums recently revealed that in practice with the pets, taking the mastermind attacks provides anywhere between 20-35% more DPS depending on the set. 

This is huge honestly and I really think MMs should at least take 2 of their primary attacks to toss into the mix.

As for ATs that havent clicked, I cant bring myself to make a defender. I'd like to, but then eyeballing the other sets with support I just think about how they have more damage or unique perks while still providing good team support.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, Communistpenguin said:

Masterminds. I want to like them, I even have a Merc/pain with a good solid concept... Its just soooo boring, Same with Bots/rad, I want to like it, but its just not active enough for me. Mind you, My main, and the character I learned the game on back on live, is a storm/elec. So i like alot going on, and I like Jack of all trades characters.

So strange, not sure how much time there was between GDN, ED, additional regen nerfs & the launch of COV/Masterminds but I left due to the former & only returned due to the later being available during either a free COV trial or a free weekend, I couldn't get enough of the Bots/Traps which would go on to be my main on live

Edited by Chance Jackson

19 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I concur with those who don't enjoy Scrappers; I just hate chasing bad guys around the room. At least Tanks get the Taunt, so less chasing.

You're thinking Stalkers. Stalkers have zero stay-close agro abilities and once at 20% HP mobs will just "$%&-off to the africas and maybe decide to return, or not. Scrappers do have a few agro grabbing auras. Bioarmor and Radiation Armor, Willpower, Shield, Invulnerability, etc. Not all secondaries have one, but several do, and enemies do not wander off with those sets who do.

I find all the melee ATs really boring... sorry 😳

I just find that by level 10, I don’t see much further progression. You just get more powers that hit things and more armour.

Whereas Defenders/Controllers and the like are always getting really new and interesting powers that can completely change how your character plays. 

Just my subjective experience 🤪

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1. Widow

2. Widow

3. Widow

Never got one past 20, too many choices and no way past the wall of power selection options with no sense of direction. Not even sure what type of AT they are.

Seen nothing up to 20 that sparks any interest or curiosity for them. 

Took more than one of every other AT to 50 and enjoyed the journey on them all.

Probably deleted more Widow alts than all the rest combined.

There are very many who game in MMO I have come across that tend to self identify as melee or ranged/caster. This mindset is especially true in sword and sorcery themed MMO I find. I have also found that here in CoH even back on live. Mainly it seemed to do with wanting a defensive set in their powers so tended to go with tank and scrapper in year one. Hence the term squishy tended to be an insult directed by those who saw themselves as the iron man classes and those who didnt take them must somehow not understand that being squishy is just bad.

I am far more about killing my foes. Scrapper,blaster, brute, stalker, dominator, controller, PB, whatever, I make my toon first and foremost to win with their own powers. I can even take power sets Ive never played, an AT ive rarely played and I know within 3 respecs by cap Ill have my build tuned and know how to leverage the powers I have access to. For me the discomfort zone is when others expect me to sustain them( support) or just lock down mobs and sit back and watch( pure cc troller type).

This is why I do tend to have a tone of mockery at times for some on these forums who seem to be unable to play or build basically anything without a guide or perfect meta build. To me needing guides, builds, meta data are not the tools of the good gamer, but crutches for the average gamer to try and keep up.

To the OP funny enough I did a ill/time troller myself not long ago. Fun thing, abit less aggressive then i care for but the pets and my army of one perma PA tickles my fancy now and then. Since I have the right kind of first name all my PA have the same first name as my guy so it actually gets some comments from puggers applauding the use of an atypical ( but traditional welsh) name that allowed it.

Honestly if they would just let the pool power attacks have abit better damage, and faster casting animations in the case of the ranged attacks like in sorcery, I think even those like me who favor doing dmg first could enjoy the less aggressive ATs abit more.

I mean why make a new AT like sentinal when if we just took the leash off pools we could have some pretty near free form, damn fun and flavorful builds that would be effective rather then theme with no fury to back em.

46 minutes ago, THEDarkTyger said:

I didn't care much for controllers either. Until I PLed one up to 30 before I dove into it. Holy cow that makes a difference. They've got enough powers fleshed out at that point where they may still be slower than a scrapper, but they FEEL powerful.

Controllers are basically like DnD mages. They start off really weak and get exponentially more powerful. It’s what I enjoy about the AT, the power growth. 
I think it’s also why I find melees pretty flat.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

21 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Mayhaps give it a whirl on the Beta Shard(s)?  Give yourself a level boost to 20 or 30-ish, and fiddle around a bit?

I might have to give that a try with Controllers. Someone else mentioned powerleveling, but I can't play characters that have been boosted. I need to take them through mission content to get a feel for them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

I might have to give that a try with Controllers. Someone else mentioned powerleveling, but I can't play characters that have been boosted. I need to take them through mission content to get a feel for them.

If you don't mind some advice from a done frog, Mind Control might be a relatively friendly set for someone new to the AT.  The set is front-loaded with three incapacitating powers.  Hit one target with Mesmerize to take it out of the fight for a good long time, hit a second with Dominate (shorter duration hold), then ragdoll the third with Levitate (filling in the gaps with Mes and Dom).  End result is you can juggle a three-enemy spawn with surprising safety, even at early levels.  Not quickly, though...

If that's not your thing, Illusion gets a long-duration Confuse early on that doesn't aggro enemies (unless they've already seen you).  It's a good way to take one enemy out of the equation and use it to soften up its buddies.  Even unslotted, it's possible to keep two enemies confused at the same time, allowing you to whittle down the third.  (As an aside, you can solo Cavern of Transcendence now with just Deceive and Superior Invisibility...)

I’ve leveled/incarnated/IO’d multiple masterminds, and each time the characters have done nothing special for me beyond making me want to roll a defender/corruptor with the same support set. Once said toon is rolled, the masterminds get shelved typically.

Edited by arcaneholocaust