Paperweights

fitzsimmons

I've found from time to time that some people join higher level teams, task forces, strike forces, what-have-you without having anything slotted.  Was on an MLTF yesterday and there was an elec/shield brute who was vet level 1, toon created within the last few days and had powers like fly, stealth, invisibility and phase shift.  OK, maybe they're mule powers?  I asked and he confirmed he had nothing slotted.  The worst part is that he didn't even run to the tree room for us and ATT and that was something he was perfectly equipped for.  By the time I noticed and had asked him, we had already started the first mission.  So he stayed on the team, contributing what he could.

I've seen the same thing on ITFs but I'm sure it happens all over the place.

So just a bit of a tip, take a look to see who's on the team and have a look at their builds if you're not interested in carrying extra weight.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, fitzsimmons said:

So just a bit of a tip, take a look to see who's on the team and have a look at their builds if you're not interested in carrying extra weight.

Here's another one: Leave L2P drama at the other MMOs.

Edited by skoryy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

Uhm... You do know that quite a lot of us take flight as our travel power, right? There's nothing at all unusual in that.

Likewise, the Concealment pool powers are pretty common picks, both as Gambler mules and as situationally-useful powers on their own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

13 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

How are you viewing other players slotting?
I understand you can see IO set bonuses... But slotting?

You can't.  If they have no set bonuses, I send 'em a tell and ask if they have SOs or generic IOs slotted.  If I'm recruiting, I'll typically say "please be reasonably slotted'.  Subjective but all I'm after is at least SOs for the higher level content.

I'll PL people but that's different.

2 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Uhm... You do know that quite a lot of us take flight as our travel power, right? There's nothing at all unusual in that.

Likewise, the Concealment pool powers are pretty common picks, both as Gambler mules and as situationally-useful powers on their own. 

Yep, in my post above I mentioned that they could be mules.  I'm not criticizing the power picks.  He confirmed he had nothing slotted.

Anyway just a gripe throwaway post.

2 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

In a game this easy when we melt enemies and most people can actually solo the content but just play with others for the social aspect, where incarnates rub elbows with under level 50, 'extra weight' isn't much of a problem.

Though I hope you gave them some pointers on builds or to check the forums because it sounds like a newbie who needs guidance, not a troll trying to be a nuisance and 'weight'.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

I've found from time to time that some people join higher level teams, task forces, strike forces, what-have-you without having anything slotted. 

I have to admit I played an entire TF (Citadel) with an grav/kin alt yesterday and only at the end did I realize the build was almost completely unslotted! Only ATOs and not all of those. But it was a very solid team so I didn't even notice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

Indeed, And some of us even use...*GASP*...Mystic Flight!

I assure you, fitz, that you will NEVER be pulling my weight on a team.😉

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 4

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

2 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

You can't.  If they have no set bonuses, I send 'em a tell and ask if they have SOs or generic IOs slotted.  If I'm recruiting, I'll typically say "please be reasonably slotted'. 

Being honest, if a team lead sent me that, they'd be told "Fully slotted with nunyas." If they ask what that is? "Nunya damn business."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

13 minutes ago, Greycat said:

"Fully slotted with nunyas."

Oh man, I want to put that in all my character descriptions now. They'll be curious and go to the powers listing and see a mile-long bonus sheet, but nothing that says "nunyas," which will inevitably get that tell...

"What's a Nunyas?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Indeed, And some of us even use...*GASP*...Mystic Flight!

I assure you, fitz, that you will NEVER be pulling my weight on a team.😉

Not sure I can. I hurt my back last week.

Let me clear something up.  My criticism isn't on the power choices.  Let me give some additional context and how logic plays into this.  The toon is a fresh 50, vet level 1, created a few days ago.  I PL a lot, I PL other people from time to time as mentioned above as well as my own toons.  I get it.  It's perfectly reasonable that someone picks flight, stealth, invisibility and phase shift on any toon.  However because it was a fresh toon and there were no set bonusses, I see no problem asking if they have anything at all slotted.

Why else would someone choose flight and invis on a toon?  To fly to safety on any one of several farm maps.  No criticism if that is the case.  But that's the gist of my point.

So don't focus on me mentioning powers but certainly criticize the fact that I have an issue with folks joining high level content knowingly (in my opinion) with absolutely no enhancements slotted.

Regards,

Dave

3 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Oh man, I want to put that in all my character descriptions now. They'll be curious and go to the powers listing and see a mile-long bonus sheet, but nothing that says "nunyas," which will inevitably get that tell...

"What's a Nunyas?"

I don't think it'd work on most.   Nunya business is an old bit.  You may have better luck saying that you have "deez" slotted.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

You can't.  If they have no set bonuses, I send 'em a tell and ask if they have SOs or generic IOs slotted.

And I'd reply with, "Why do you ask?"  😛

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

12 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

So don't focus on me mentioning powers but certainly criticize the fact that I have an issue with folks joining high level content knowingly (in my opinion) with absolutely no enhancements slotted.

When I have the ability to team, I often run mission content at my level range for xp and advertise for all comers.  Don’t care if they are unslotted or lvl 5 or rikti 

monkeys — that content, for the most part is trivial and I want the companionship for a little more Xp and to help people level and maybe some funny conversation.

however, I see truth in @fitzsimmonspoint.  If you are running a M of TF, it’s a lot harder to carry dead weight, and you shouldn’t have to.  Mind you, I’m only thinking of the 1% of the most difficult content.  I also agree that an imperfect short cut to identify unslotted characters is to look at their set bonuses.  Sure they could be on SOs or common IOs, but I’d guess 99% of the time they are just unslotted.

i don’t think it’s too much to ask that if someone wants to join a Master TF, that they should be slotted.  I’d probably generalize that to any level 50 content.  After all, that’s presumably why you PLed to 50 in the first place?

my two inf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

If your going to run a PL toon, I would think you would want to slot something. SO's or basic IO's at least until you settle on the build. When I PL an alt that's one of the first things I do before running any content just solo. I wouldn't even consider teams until the toon has some kind of build and I'm comfortable with the power set mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

14 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

Why else would someone choose flight and invis on a toon?  To fly to safety on any one of several farm maps.  No criticism if that is the case.  But that's the gist of my point.

I use those powers on most of my characters, and I don't farm at all. I use Fly to get around town. I actually use stealth because I don't like farming. Sneaking through some missions can help me avoid a lot of repetitive fights.

• Like 3

On a few of my 50s I skipped a few levels by visiting AE.  At 50 they have an old school build but using common IOs.  I have 4 tables in the base full of lvl 50 common IOs so that, PLed or regular leveling, I can run the toons while I earn/craft their incarnates and find out where they need bonus stuff.  I have been known to forget the 'place enhancements' step and run empty.

If people are looking at my set bonuses before we start in order to determine if I am worthy, its not a team I need anyway.  If they are looking at my set bonuses while we play because I suck or keep dying, its most likely to offer advice or cash.

I have a 'full scrapperlock full time' playstyle on all my toons.  Even well slotted blasters die occasionally lol.  For this reason, I would never join a Master run of anything with any of my toons 😁

To the OP:  Sometimes we just gotta vent.  I get ya.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mirai said:

I use those powers on most of my characters, and I don't farm at all. I use Fly to get around town. I actually use stealth because I don't like farming. Sneaking through some missions can help me avoid a lot of repetitive fights.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Context

Context who?

Context you glad I didn't say banana?

I apologize, this reply is snarky but I'm going to post it anyway because I lack self control as evidenced by the 2 cannolis I just ate.

Regards,

Dave

• Haha 5