NCSoft dropping the Soft.

Apparition

By September 2021, NCSoft will be no more.  It will be called just NC.

I'm not sure how well that name will go over in the United States, considering that I automatically think of North Carolina when I hear "NC."  Regardless, I wonder if this means a change in leadership and/or a change in focus for good ol' NCSoft.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

What does the NC stand for anyway?

I'm under the impression it's not actually an acronym as such, but what the Korean name sounds like. Latinized as 'En Si', which I have been told translates to Mister Yen? Not convinced of that last bit. 

• Thanks 1

https://mmoculture.com/2020/11/ncsoft-company-name-change-expected-to-take-place-before-september-2021/

They've applied to change their name to NC. 

Let the speculation about the connection to HC begin! 

🤣😷

(Mods, if you feel it needs to move please move to Off Topic)

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Haha 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Interesting tidbit, but just looks like a fairly routine business decision. Probably things were slow due to the pandemic, so someone decided that now was a good time to start switching over the branding, and get the paperwork done. With govt. offices closed, or running at reduced capacity, this might have actually delayed application processing (if not produced outright errors, such as lost on someone's inbox).

While NCsoft started their main business by creating software, it has now diverged into many sectors. Hence, dropping off “soft” which refers to software seems like a logical choice.

At first glance, I figured they would be changing the name to NCHard to tell us how tough they are.

I used to watch a music show called 'Reggae Strong'.  At the beginning of every show, the intro would explain that they were going to call the show 'Reggae Week' because it's about Reggae and it's on every week - "but Reggae not weak, mon, REGGAE STRONG!"  I thought that was brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Because NCHard sounds too much like MCHammer?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

11 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

For the kiddies who don't know...

...and also because I can't help myself.

Maybe they'll know this one?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

On 11/2/2020 at 11:31 AM, Apparition said:

I'm not sure how well that name will go over in the United States, considering that I automatically think of North Carolina when I hear "NC."  

I think much more highly of my northern neighboring state than I do a certain Korean business.

Honestly, double initials are too short for a brand name, too easy to be shuffled into obscurity in dialog.  "NCSoft" at least was distinctive enough to know immediately what organization you were referring to.  And yeah, I know "HP" is out there, but at least when I was a kid, still helping Dad learn how to turn on the telegraph, we referred to HP by its full name always..uphill, both ways, in a snowstorm...and we liked it!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Maybe they'll know this one?

I’m Sushi K and I’m here to say
I like to rap in a different way
Look out Number One in every city
Sushi K rap has all most pretty
My special talking of remarkable words
Is not the stereotyped bucktooth nerd
My hair is big as a galaxy
Cause I attain greater technology

I like to rap about sweetened romance
My fond ambition is of your pants
So here is of special remarkable way
Of this fellow raps named Sushi K
The Nipponese talking phenomenon
Like samurai sword his sharpened tongue
Who raps the East Asia and the Pacific
Prosperity Sphere, to be specific

Sarariman on subway listen
For Sushi K like nuclear fission
Fire-breathing lizard Gojiro
He my always big-time hero
His mutant rap burn down whole block
Start investing now Sushi K stock
It on Nikkei stock exchange
Waxes; other rappers wane
Best investment, make my day
Corporation Sushi K

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Healix said:

LOLOL...I just tried something. I clicked play on the Gannam Style video and muted the sound. When he started dancing, I hit play on the MC Hammer video! It was awesome

So long as you watched both, then you are forgiven. 😂