The Good, the Bad, the Fugly [ issue 27 ]

Taboo

10 hours ago, Taboo said:

The Bad

Long Range Teleporter, Base Transporter P2W (10min?! so lame)

I've been playing around with it this afternoon, and I have to say... the ten minute timer on the LRT  isn't so bad. I'd love for it to be five, like the Ouro portal, but all in all? I think being able to hop directly to a zone instead of having to wait for my base to load before I can get to the teleporters to do that makes the longer timer seem like a fair trade, just in terms of sheer convenience.  

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Dang, I wasn't gonna say anything more than I already... but then I see folks with lots of posts dog piling someone with fewer. (even if I don't totally agree with them)

Ya I saw some of what got removed.

Way to go heroes.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

8 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Remember:   Criticism is usually offered from a stance of good faith and appreciation.  If people didn't care about the game, or didn't like it at all, they wouldn't be taking the time to express their disappointment and concerns.  When someone is upset by something, then we should be embracing their feedback and helping them to express it more clearly, so that everyone can benefit from their thoughts and views.

Flipside of that:  Please don't ever be insulting when providing critiques.   I mean, just don't ever be insulting ever?

(To be clear; not saying anyone as being insulting here.   Just saying it for completeness' sake.)

This, when someone voice up what they dont like, some "not GM" get extreme personal bout it.

This is true only the people who care bout the game would go to forum post bout why they dont like.

Most people just wtf ok lets play other game, nostalgia is done.

Most of these comments from "i dont like this, heres my some suggestions" washed into attack after few quote and attack, then blame the suggestion is attack the mods. Or always tag (AGAIN AND AGAIN), (when where which server? i DIDNT FEEL THE PROBLEM). They know again and again people giving suggestion but they insist the change is good.

MSR is very obvious changes aka nerf reward, now msr nerf its population.

MSR is almost barely run due to the nerf after a month.

I even suggested how to fix the game dmg problem, make it to 5% different on type.

then you can fix type set damage problem much more easy.

You cant fix the game without fixing the root.

Example:

s/l/e/psi never pars with fire/cold

reduce the damage different to 5%

robot has 5% more resist s/l/e than fire.

not 30 to 60% difference, of coz this wont solve the problem.

Instead just buff each set and either make no different or make it too op or worst.

Now every class is playable instead just hogging fire and few set benefit out of the situation.

1 player just slap me with : "You dont know how to dev" then become extreme personal.

some these player slap someone maybe who work in the industry, just you dont know them irl.

just like example "you dont know how to catch a thief", what if the suggested person is a cop.

---------------------------

anywhere i do really love the new fix on some set and blast stealth & no fade option.

Edited by therealtitanman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really thankfull for all the work. Me personally loved it all but the sync of the absorb/heal powers on Blasters. I get why they might have done it for pvp but hoping that they might alter it in the future to give each blaster set somthing alittle diffrent than Cauterizing Aura's Heal per Second knock off for each set. Maybe same numbers but alternate  bonuses. Besides that they knocked it out of the park.

Edited by Ironscarlet

3 minutes ago, Ironscarlet said:

Really thankfull for all the work. Me personally loved it all but the sync of the absorb/heal powers on Blasters. I get why they might have done it for pvp but hoping that they might alter it in the future to give each blaster set somthing alittle diffrent than Cauterizing Aura's Heal per Second knock off for each set. Maybe same numbers but alternate  bonuses. Besides that they knocked it out of the park.

Definitely wasn't a PvP change, since this ends up actually being a buff in PvP which is the opposite of what Blasters needed.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Obviously there was going to be some criticism and push back when this hit live. I have seen many folks making critical statements also show appreciation.

@Glacier Peak

Spoiler

Do you pay money? Do you know who does and who doesn't?

Note: I am a bit baffled mods erased posts by you and others but left your original derailment post. Weirdness.

@Solarverse

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you had soooo much time to add in your input before it went live. The time to heap praise, poke holes and point out blunders was ages ago.

I'm gonna agree but also disagree.

As a person who tried to speak up for weeks in the Beta Focused Feedback threads; I learned, even then was too late. (so many posts by lots of folks deleted)

The level of hostility toward any dissension was pretty high. Even if that dissension was with the best intentions. I guess it still is or I am now overly sensitive to it.

@Shadeknight

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Shadeknight said:
  • What statistics do you have for the "many didn't want"?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen this type of trap question posed too often lately. No matter what answer is given, that answer is refutable just by moving the goal posts a tiny bit.

• One could flip it and say "What statistics do you have that say different?"

Regardless, you can count me as a "didn't want" on a number of the changes. Lots of changes I like maybe others don't.

Specifically for me, Energy Melee has had months and years of topics with many folks who wanted the nerf removed. Just one of many threads on the topic which has hundreds of replies. I'm sure there are plenty in that thread and in the focused feedback thread on the topic that are clear what they didn't want. (so many posts by lots of folks deleted)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

37 minutes ago, therealtitanman said:

MSR is very obvious changes aka nerf reward, now msr nerf its population.

MSR is almost barely run due to the nerf after a month.

Uhh... what MSR nerf?  And on what server are you playing on that MSRs are barely run?

Edited by Apparition

1 hour ago, macskull said:

Definitely wasn't a PvP change, since this ends up actually being a buff in PvP which is the opposite of what Blasters needed.

Just seems to be how our powers person likes things. Live Devs used to do the same, to be fair (rip Machine gun Rad Blast).

Personally I prefer each set to have different pros and cons including things like damage and recharge times, but I'm not the one trying to balance it all either.

1 hour ago, macskull said:

Was gonna say, I see them forming all the time on Excelsior.

Same, at least two a night on Everlasting. (Chaos United runs them.) And double-Hamis in between. I'll see others pop up to run them at other times, too.

If it's not the server, maybe it's time of day?  (Yes. Honestly curious when and where.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Folks are entitled to their opinion on changes.  The trap to avoid is feeling that the way we ourselves view changes, is the way everyone views them.  That, because it negatively impacts one's own play style, that it must similarly impact everyone's.  That is almost never true.  So, before proclaiming something "bad" in whatever degree, or description you choose; let us check our egos at the door, and look at things from a more global perspective, before pronouncing judgement.

Except that as approx 95% of my time ingame is me playing solo, I feel justified in explaining why certain changes affect my game experience before I prioritise the globals. My personal knowledge of how those changes affect me are just as valid as the globals.

Thank you.

Good : Lots of stuff. Enjoying most of the new arcs. Love the Trick Arrow changes

Bad : Whirling Hands change for Domi. It no longer spams the screen with NRG Release so the impact feels much less now. But I've flogged that dead horse multiple times so now I'm just abusing PROCs with it instead.

Fugly : Base TP changes, although I totally understand them it did end up with a lot of travel. Tying into that, the middle of the hero arc which lead me on a multi-zone dance (Skyway -> Hollows talkie-> Skyway Hunt -> Skyway "run to these 4 points". Urrgh. Destroyed the flow of the arc and half my PuG team quit as I was doing it. Not out of badness, just the interruption let them realise what time it was so they called it a night). 

• Retired Developer
2 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Good : Lots of stuff. Enjoying most of the new arcs. Love the Trick Arrow changes

Bad : Whirling Hands change for Domi. It no longer spams the screen with NRG Release so the impact feels much less now. But I've flogged that dead horse multiple times so now I'm just abusing PROCs with it instead.

Fugly : Base TP changes, although I totally understand them it did end up with a lot of travel. Tying into that, the middle of the hero arc which lead me on a multi-zone dance (Skyway -> Hollows talkie-> Skyway Hunt -> Skyway "run to these 4 points". Urrgh. Destroyed the flow of the arc and half my PuG team quit as I was doing it. Not out of badness, just the interruption let them realise what time it was so they called it a night). 

If you investigate the right path, you get the shortest path. You can skip 3/4 of that chain 🙂

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

• Retired Developer
3 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

You're pure evil!! Evil I say. 

I believe in my dialog tree, in an early version, that branch was called "SpeedRunnersHateReadingThings"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

1 minute ago, Piecemeal said:

I believe in my dialog tree, in an early version, that branch was called "SpeedRunnersHateReadingThings"

To be honest it was more "It's 22:30 and I'm leading a PuG" more than speed running. 

I love love love the enemy variety in the arc though. 

I quite like the changes so far.

True, I can't immediately be anywhere in the game... it now takes me a minute or two... but nothing is so out of reach as to be any form of annoying. Milliseconds to seconds.

I am trying out EM on a scrapper and already having issues... but I don't really scrapper so could just be me ha ha. 

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

I look at it this way. The game changes and I have to adapt or fall behind.  I have a level 50 TA character and a level 50 EM character. I don't see much difference, or even a reason to respec yet, but its still early. Nothing appears to be screwed up yet, so that's a good thing.

Oh I am enjoying the new Vahz content. ...Zoombies....heh

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

30 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I am impressed with the sheer volume of stuff in this patch.

Is this still stuff that was being worked on in Live or is this the new devs development now?

It is all stuff that the Homecoming developers started working on back in June.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Remember:   Criticism is usually offered from a stance of good faith and appreciation.

The problem is when one has been on the internet so long is that one has also invariably lost their assumption of good faith long long ago.

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

14 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

the ten minute timer on the LRT  isn't so bad. I'd love for it to be five, like the Ouro portal, but all in all?

five sounds valid to me.

there's a mess of peeps & critics in the topic thread. could be an accommodation.