Incarnate squishies, do you autofire Clarion or Hasten?

cohRock

My level 50+3 psy/poison corruptor has two powers I would like to autofire, Hasten and Destiny:Clarion (tier 3, Partial Core Invocation).  Clarion has a 2 minute recharge, and at tier 3 grants at least level 6 protections to most mez's for the entire time -- i.e. perma mez protection.  So I have to decided to change the autofire from Hasten to Clarion.  I see three downsides to this decision, in descending order:

1. Clarion costs 20 endurance.  During big chaotic battle it could possibly de-toggle Charged Armor, Maneuvers, Tactics, and/or Hover.
  2. I might forget to restart Hasten for some period of time.
  3. If I team at a lower level, I need to remember to set Hasten to autofire.

Besides my protection, the other strong positive of Clarion is it grants its protection to all allies and pets within 50 feet, so any other squishies on the team usually receive the same mez protection as my guy.  (Well the melee guys get it added to their own mez protection, which seldom is needed except perhaps for knockback.)

So which do or would you choose to auto-fire?

-- Rock

I have rotating binds to autofire Clarion, Hasten, Aim, Build Up, and Hybrid. Planning to add Call to Justice at some point.

• Like 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

When you're doing team content where Clarion is actually needed, it's a safe bet that other people will also be using it.  Therefore, go into the combat monitor and set it to display a relevant status protection.  The only thing I do where it's really important is the Underground iTrial so I monitor protection against Confusion so I can see when it's needed.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

You can fire Clarion if you actually get mezzed, so I tend to save it for that occasion. 

• Like 5
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

12 hours ago, Rannos1033 said:

I just put whichever one is not on auto fire in the middle of my attack chain, when it comes up I click just like a normal attack.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  I am going to do as Rannos suggests, except change the auto-fire back to Hasten.  The reason is I found a fourth reason that makes an auto-fire of Clarion to be a hassle.   If you want to use it to buff your Lore pets (or any others you may have), then coordinating an auto-fire Clarion and pet summoning becomes more awkward than necessary.  By taking back control of when Clarion starts, the coordination is simpler.

• Like 1

-- Rock

If I don't have hasten on auto on a character that uses it I would totally forget to use it. As far as Clarion if I am mezzed I know that's when to use it. And considering I only get mezzed on occasion I prefer to have it up on an as needed basis.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

• 2 weeks later

Since I build all my squishies to Defense softcap (Ranged, S/L or sometimes both) I rarely get mezzed.  So Clarion remains situational for me.  Hasten stays on auto fire and Clarion is on my attack chain bar far right, there if/when I need it.

I auto-fire hasten.  I bind clarion to may "follow" and my "target next" keys.   I also have clarion in a convenient spot on the tray to click it directly.  My logic is, hasten I want up always... clarion can drop with no negative effects.  Since I can click it while under control effects, its ok if it lags for a bit.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

27 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Hasten. I build in a way that I don't have to bother with Clarion. I've never actually selected that incarnate since being here on HC. On Live I took it on ONE character.

If you build in a certain way it's not needed.

Clarion Destiny actually is needed for Rikti mothership raids and most Incarnate trials.  Since I regularly lead MSRs on the Excelsior shard, I take the Clarion Core Destiny on every single character other than my farmers, even my melee ones.  Since I have to take it on every character anyway, my "squishies" build around it.

Edited by Apparition

12 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Clarion Destiny actually is needed for Rikti mothership raids and most Incarnate trials.  Since I regularly lead MSRs on the Excelsior shard, I take the Clarion Core Destiny on every single character other than my farmers, even my melee ones.  Since I have to take it on every character anyway, my "squishies" build around it.

Well obviously you can count on others to have it covered as I’ve never regretted not having Clarion in any circumstances.

8 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Well obviously you can count on others to have it covered as I’ve never regretted not having Clarion in any circumstances.

No, no you cannot.  I have lead instanced MSRs where I was the only one with AoE mez protection.  At one point, I was overwhelmed by Rikti Magi and slept.  As soon as I was, it was a cascading failure where everyone else was mezzed and there was a league wipe.

It is that kind of thinking that leads to no one having it and then you get a league wipe.

Edited by Apparition

3 minutes ago, Apparition said:

No, no you cannot.  I have lead instanced MSRs where I was the only one with AoE mez protection.  At one point, I was overwhelmed by Rikti Magi and slept.  As soon as I was, it was a cascading failure where everyone else was mezzed and there was a league wipe.

It is that kind of thinking that leads to no one having it and then you get a league wipe.

Never encountered such a thing. Done enough MSR’s to know it must be anomalous.

28 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Never encountered such a thing. Done enough MSR’s to know it must be anomalous.

IMO, if you are going to regularly go to MSRs and/or Incarnate trials, you should take Clarion Destiny.  If you regularly go to Hamidon raids, you should take Rebirth Radial Destiny.  Every character of mine (again, with the exception of the farmers), has at minimum two tier four Destiny powers, some as many as four.

I haven't done any incarnate trials on HC but I recall people asking for multiple Clarions for the trials in general and specifically stressed for Minds of Mayhem.

Given that most characters are unlikely to have status protection, bringing Clarion to MSRs and Incarnate Trials is actually a really good thing to do

22 hours ago, Apparition said:

Oh my.

Two thoughts here.

That whole circumstance has to be really rare, I'd think.  No breakfrees available on a whole lot of raiders, very large numbers of support (so inherent status protection characters rare), no AoE healing powers occurring (often see the 'green' occurring myself on raids) including Rebirth would all pretty much have to happen.

At the same time I get what Apparition is getting at with the last part.  If lots of folks are skipping it for the sole reason of expecting to find it being used (and then also not carrying breakfree or other protection as a back up) it will increase the chance of that rare circumstance actually coming to pass.