Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 1)

4 minutes ago, Sovera said:

No Bopper, apologies but you may be misremembering. Looking at my own character at level 50 power details using just Fly the speed is hardcapped at 58mph without any (direct) slotting (I have the usual little speed increases incidentally found in sets, not something I worked for) or gimmicks involved.

Fly + AB without any (direct) slotting puts it at 72.95mph. The jump pack caps it at 87mph.

You're right, it looks like Fly itself had its effects simplified. It had a -101%+100%+80%+136.5%, which added up gave +215.5% flyspeed. Now it's 150.15%.

I think this change is twofold. Before, it was ridiculously high because at low levels you would not be able to hit the cap while at high levels you were so far past the cap it didn't matter. Now that low levels don't change, you are seeing a more reasonable fly speed setting

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

26 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

No, in fact, it is not trolling. The fact you think adding an annoying mechanic to afterbuner means you don't understand my frustration.

To keep this as a constructive (and different) point, why not just change after burner to be a toggle that stays on... and then suppresses after a while? So I don't have to micro-manage clicking a toggle in a popup tray that isn't on my regular power tray?

[edit] Heck, if you can make it that clicking on Afterburner when it is dragged into the regular trays and activates fly too, that would be awesome. That would be one less click at times.

Its really not inconvenient.  You click it - it works.  You wait for it again - while still being as fast as you were before.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

It looks like most of the Teleport Changes this time (longer range) is still pretty good. On a heavily slotted Teleport (with range bonuses even) I'm still nearly out of endurance teleporting all the way across shadow shard zones with decently slotted stamina and IOs. So suboptimally slotted teleport will probably run out 1/2 of the way, which would really suck. 

A small adjustment to the base End Cost might be within a look to make TP viable compared to flight/SJ and such, which have you at full END when you get there and they aren't that much slower.

Oh, and I love that I can finally break free and land/run from teleport. It no longer sucks that way! So thank you Devs!

Edited by arthurh35353
  • Like 2

Speed phase is thematically very cool, but technically it's kinda weird that you get such little benefit for an "only affecting self" power. If it's going to stay as this sort of out of combat power, it would be nice if it behaved like afterburner or maybe gave some +rech or other defensive benefit while on.

8 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

Flight_Afterburner.png.9890bf9208f976be5c62e00f21c62b82.png Afterburner

• Increases flight speed cap by another 25% (to 102.27mph), and speeds you up to the cap

I took this patch note at face value, but it doesn't seem to be true? I did a quick test on a copy character, Fly with a 50+3 Flight IO, toggled on new Afterburner, but it put me a good 10 MPH below the new flight cap (90.37 MPH, versus the actual cap of 102.27 MPH).

8 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

Flight_EvasiveManeuvers.png.1e67b92f6c3529ffd38620fc25871fd4.png Evasive Maneuvers

• Also provides the same level of defence as old Afterburner out of combat, but this is removed while in combat

This is the only truly bad thing I've found in this patch; Afterburner's defense is good for bugging out of a bad fight, or for Tanker Stealth, but if the defense suppresses in combat it's no good for that. Or much of anything, really, since I'm guessing it helps against, at best, one tohit roll against your character,

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tigraine said:

So now it requires devoting slots that were previously unnecessary?

No, you needed to slot up Afterburner and Fly, previously. I believe my numbers were a 50+5 Flight IO in Fly and 2 50+5 Flight IOs in Afterburner put you like 1-2 MPH below the absolute cap; now you can cap with just two 50+5s in Fly alone.

Edit: Scratch that, you don't need to fully boost them. More testing/math needed to find exact numbers... (My characters are just gonna move a slot from Afterburner to Fly and take the 50+5 IOs I already slotted with them)

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vanden said:

No, you needed to slot up Afterburner and Fly, previously. I believe my numbers were a 50+5 Flight IO in Fly and 2 50+5 Flight IOs in Afterburner put you like 1-2 MPH below the absolute cap; now you can cap with just two 50+5s in Fly alone.

The question wasn't about hitting the cap, it was about Infinitum's claim that "You can with the right slotting achieve previous Fly+AB speeds with just fly"

Previously I did not slot Afterburner or Fly for speed.  As I stated, AB got LotG's recharge and Fly got Zephyr's KB protection.  Speed boosts came from IO set bonuses and slotting Swift.

According to Infinitum, now in order to get the same speeds (using just Fly), the "right slotting" is required, which I would assume to mean slotting Fly for speed, which either requires dropping the Zephyr enhancement, or adding more slots to Fly.

Edited by Tigraine

2 hours ago, Teirusu said:

Why should the 7 people on your team -have- to visit Null the Gull just so that you can enjoy having flying robots in peace?  Or, the situation of 6 of those people maybe have bothered to visit Null the Gull and disabled it...  But then you have one person whom did not.  Now you're annoying them with Group Fly and that reduces your fun.

Besides, I don't see anything negative by giving the player more control over how the power works.  With a toggle like this, you could just use Group Fly as a worse version of Fly and then, only toggle it on for the team during those very rare times that it's useful to do so.  That could allow for a build that just takes Hover and Air Superiority and Group Fly.  (Not sure how useful that be to anyone, but you never know?  Maybe someone that takes another travel power instead?)

The only downside I see is that if you want to allow team flying, then you have to turn on two toggles, instead of one.  But, considering how little Group Fly is used already, I'm sure that isn't going to be a huge problem.

If someone comes up with a feasible solution that works with the game's engine, that's great.  I'm all for that.  But, the current solution of having it disabled via Null the Gull is available and works in the meantime.   Every time a new character of mine reaches level 5, I go to Pocket D, talk with Null the Gull, and have both Speed Boost and Group Fly disabled.  Friends of mine do likewise.  I see no reason at all why others cannot.

When Page 2 launches, I will not have my fun reduced by others annoyed with Group Fly.  I lead raids and plan to use Group Fly while leading said raids.  I will make announcements prior that I intend to use Group Fly, and if people still don't have it disabled via Null the Gull, that's on them.

• Thanks 1

• City Council
12 minutes ago, Arcadio said:

Speed phase is thematically very cool, but technically it's kinda weird that you get such little benefit for an "only affecting self" power. If it's going to stay as this sort of out of combat power, it would be nice if it behaved like afterburner or maybe gave some +rech or other defensive benefit while on.

Beyond running through civilians and cars just cus, Speed Phase is actually meant to be used to complement Super Speed's stealth component to make ghosting through missions easier.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

7 minutes ago, Apparition said:

If someone comes up with a feasible solution that works with the game's engine, that's great.  I'm all for that.  But, the current solution of having it disabled via Null the Gull is available and works in the meantime.   Every time a new character of mine reaches level 5, I go to Pocket D, talk with Null the Gull, and have both Speed Boost and Group Fly disabled.  Friends of mine do likewise.  I see no reason at all why others cannot.

When Page 2 launches, I will not have my fun reduced by others annoyed with Group Fly.  I lead raids and plan to use Group Fly while leading said raids.  I will make announcements prior that I intend to use Group Fly, and if people still don't have it disabled via Null the Gull, that's on them.

I believe someone earlier suggested making the function disabled as the default, and needing to go to Null the Gull to turn it on.  The assumption of course being that this would require fewer trips to Null the Gull for people in total, but you'd have to poll some numbers to prove it one way or the other.

9 minutes ago, Tigraine said:

Previously I did not slot Afterburner or Fly for speed.  As I stated, AB got LotG's recharge and Fly got Zephyr's KB protection.  Speed boosts came from IO set bonuses and slotting Swift.

According to Infinitum, now in order to get the same speeds (using just Fly), the "right slotting" is required, which I would assume to mean slotting Fly for speed, which either requires dropping the Zephyr enhancement, or adding more slots to Fly.

With no slotting, you still come out ahead on speed. On HC Live, Fly+Afterburner with no slots is ~72 MPH. On Brainstorm, Fly+EvM is ~78 MPH.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Beyond running through civilians and cars just cus, Speed Phase is actually meant to be used to complement Super Speed's stealth component to make ghosting through missions easier.

I don't think this was ever the intention of Super Speed's stealth component.  As I understand it was there just to avoid aggroing mobs and getting stuck in fights while traveling through a zone, since the other travel powers could avoid this by gaining altitude.  Intentionally making SS the "mission ghost" power is making it do something it was never intended to, and giving it a function none of the other travel powers have.

2 minutes ago, Vanden said:

With no slotting, you still come out ahead on speed. On HC Live, Fly+Afterburner with no slots is ~72 MPH. On Brainstorm, Fly+EvM is ~78 MPH.

Take off EvM though.  Infinitum's qualification was "just fly" = Fly + AB.

1 minute ago, Tigraine said:

I don't think this was ever the intention of Super Speed's stealth component.  As I understand it was there just to avoid aggroing mobs and getting stuck in fights while traveling through a zone, since the other travel powers could avoid this by gaining altitude.  Intentionally making SS the "mission ghost" power is making it do something it was never intended to, and giving it a function none of the other travel powers have.

I mean, there's the whole "you're going so fast your enemies can't see you very well" aspect too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

9 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:
  • SorceryPool_MysticFlight.png.3c6f2d0385535a1e3b309b5542f2c605.png Mystic Flight
    • Now increases your fly speed cap by 50% while toggled on (from 58.6mph to 87.9mph)
      • This increase doesn't apply in PvP
    • SorceryPool_Translocation.png.acd807b4b949c7684267c11fb7cda7bb.png Translocation
      • Range increased from 300ft to 350ft
  •  

Since there's no notes about it, I take it Translocation still can't be enhanced and never gets the slots that the game says are added while leveling up?

I really like the changes to Flight and flight speeds. I usually take Mystic Flight so I can recover endurance in-between teleports and I'm grateful for this smidge of a distance increase. (clarification: I like to teleport, but it's nigh impossible to cross a zone without running out of End. So I'll fly a bit, teleport 'till half exhausted, then fly and recover endurance, eventually arriving.)

BUT I have a bunch of characters that'll probably respec into Fly/Hover/Evasive, and I might even take Super Speed every once in a while now that it gets some vertical!

Good stuff, thank you devs! 

Edited by ninja surprise
  • Like 1

Just now, Tigraine said:

We're talking mechanics though, not thematics.  It unbalances the travel powers.

Could you explain how this unbalances travel powers? With these changes every travel power has something "unique" about it.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 minute ago, macskull said:

Could you explain how this unbalances travel powers? With these changes every travel power has something "unique" about it.

I already did in my previous post.  SS stealth compensated for no vertical movement, to be able to navigate across maps.  It was not intended to give it a "mission ghost" ability, which is something above and beyond what a primary travel power is supposed to do (you know, "travel").

Just now, Tigraine said:

I already did in my previous post.  SS stealth compensated for no vertical movement, to be able to navigate across maps.  It was not intended to give it a "mission ghost" ability, which is something above and beyond what a primary travel power is supposed to do (you know, "travel").

👀

• Infiltration.png.b5c57bbeaf9ea728fcbbc5b151e63f44.png Infiltration
    • Grants a run and jump bonus similar to Ninja Run
    • Grants out-of-combat stealth
      • 36ft in PvE, 389ft in PvP (the same values as Stealth before this patch)
    • Grants 1.75% out of combat defence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2