Rant & Rave - Page 2 is out

Taboo

So:

• /thumbtack
  • /loc (updated)
  • /whereami (updated)
  • /powexec_location cursor (coooooolllll)
  • /powers_togglealloff
  • $loc

...did I miss anything that should go in the Guide?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

@Taboo

Getting hit has always been the way that I knew that my stealth has disengaged.  Once I play with a stealth toon for 2 or 3 missions, I have a pretty good idea of how close I can get to a mob without triggering their perception.  Not really sure how that particular thing is a big deal.

Now, the defense being removed from afterburner- it's incredibly easy to hit defense softcap and beyond.  I've done it multiple times and never used Afterburner to get the job done.  Maybe, as you suggested, that's a PvP thing, but I don't know why anyone would have afterburner toggled on during combat during a PvE mission.

Leadership suppressing defense.... I "think" it's been mentioned that this is a bug that will be addressed and fixed in the near future (if I misunderstood that, feel free to correct me, anyone).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, macskull said:

"You should fix this completely unrelated thing before working on something" is a really poor argument. The market bugs, while annoying, are easily worked around. PvP balance issues, not so much. Pretty much everything PvP-related that's been changed in the last two big updates has been things the PvP community's been asking for and was low-hanging fruit for a dev with a bit of free time.

But can we revert blaster hp max to tolerable levels or must we suffer them with that uber hp and absorb shields to boot?  I'm not so certain about you pvp'ers and your wants if all we ever see is such diverse pvp tactics. 😛

Edited by Mezmera

I wasnt thrilled with the RoP gutting, but not something to rant about. I only used it on 2 characters, given time i probably would have looked into fitting it into other characters with some high recharge shenanigans, but i probably won't now. The 2 characters I have it on will probably still keep the power, because the RoP rhythm is a unique playstyle that I grew fond of with those blasters. It just isn't something that I'll likely be looking to design other characters around in the future, because for me bringing RoP into a build that was stacking heavy recharge buffs was what interested me, and that is what was removed.

I don't disagree that the effectiveness of the power didn't deserve to be looked at, it was just not the direction I would have taken to address larger balance issues that RoP just happened to be one of few tools available that was helping to tighten the gap. Clarion is a bandaid on a broken system and break frees are archetypally discriminant. RoP's addition to the game was a healthy one, whether or not you agree or disagree with it being overtuned, because it added variety to how you could respond to how an enemy faction interacts with your character. 

-mez protection disparity between archetypes,

-inspiration tax

-an outdated binary combat system,

-lack of challenging enemy factions that can strain archetypes more evenly (ie mezzes that can affect a tank/brute/scrapper/dom/rop active squishy,

-an outdated difficulty tiered system based on levels and mobsize rather than giving enemy groups utility powers at higher difficulties such as more mezzes, buffs, or debuffs, and higher innate damage resistance,

-pool power balance specifically with click powers typically being worse than toggle powers that are passive in nature (fighting, leadership, cj)

-a lacking of relevant non-perma situational powers that are worthwhile build considerations that are competitive in nature to old RoP that would help meet new difficulty standards.

Oh yes I'm overreaching on my desires for this game, but these are just some of the things that ive thought about more closely with the attention given to RoP's adjustment. Quite frankly I don't care that RoP was nerfed, it may have been the right thing to do for the current game state, my hope is just that there will be more attention given to the mez system, archetypal balance, interactiveness with enemy factions, and the difficulty settings as more updates come down the road.

Edited by DreadShinobi

Currently on fire.

I liked the progress in speed as you levelled. I think the new speeds might be too high for new players, but it might not be a big issue. I was never bothered by being slower when exemplaring.

In general I like the changes, but it does feel like a slow power creep that keeps making travel easier and faster.

I like encountering other players in the game, so I'm not a big fan of all the long range teleports and zooming around.

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the new Evasive Manoeuvres, but that might be because I don't fully understand what it does and when to use it. I'm not sure it is useful enough to put/keep into a build, where before I would easily pick Afterburner. I have no problem with the new Afterburner though.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

really looking forward to learning thumbtack and using it effectively.  seems sure to make badging easier especially.  

Honestly I am working a lot (and harder, sigh) so my gaming time has been reduced and ...unenthused lol.

I think the travel power revamp was brilliant. The logic of the moves was precise.  The revamp as a whole took into account the current CoH/V communities desire for speed speed speed on nearly everything.  The change to rocket board/magic carpet/disc thingy so that it doesnt shut off toggles was a answer to melee characters desire to dump temp jetpacks!

Even though I personally did not like the Rune of Protection Revamp.  I run a Dark/Dark Brute as a main.  THis is a VERY high recharge build.  Making RoP ignore recharge and shortening the effectiveness period was not a win in my book.  Still, I see the logic.  To quote a line from Bad Santa "They can't all be winners kid."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

Now, the defense being removed from afterburner

Moved to evasive man, which you would have automatically pushed into your build if you had afterburner previously.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My only major quibble is that now the first thing I have to do when I log on to every alt is to go to Null and disable the movement tray.

Just so everyone is aware, once you do disable the popup movement tray, you don’t have to bother with it again. We can now drag the extra movement powers directly to our active trays from the Powers window. 

• Like 5

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Just so everyone is aware, once you do disable the popup movement tray, you don’t have to bother with it again. We can now drag the extra movement powers directly to our active trays from the Powers window. 

Oh, it shows up as regular power now? 'Bout time.

Not sure (once you really think it through) why the pop-up tray was implemented in the first place. One of those ideas that seems cool and right for about five minutes, and then...

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Technical Guide updated, link below.

I need to write some stuff on how to use the new cursor keyword soon.

Can I just say, one little patch note, that I didn't even notice when it was on Beta, just completely makes this "Page" a game-changer for me?

• Weapon redraw should no longer cancel attack animations

"No Redraw" customizations actually work now!  Plant Manipulation, which I always wanted to try, but hated the janky animations for, is no longer janky!  Mixing weapon and non-weapon attacks (or even different weapons) looks to be seamless!

Between these, the MM changes, and the fact that I was making a new PB anyway, my Altitis is flaring up something fierce again, in all the best ways.

...oh, and on that note, can we get "No Redraw" options on Spines and Epic/Patron pools now?  And really just completely crush my self control?  I won't mind, I promise.😄

Edited by Lazarillo
  • Thanks 1

My guess would be that the highlighted part is what Scrapper snipe users are most unhappy with:

CHANGE #1 - BUG FIXES:

• Stalker/Scrapper > Mace Mastery > Mace Beam: Fixed numerous bugs in the crit damage.
  • Stalker/Scrapper > Mu Mastery > Zapp: Fixed a bug where this version of Zapp would have a projectile delay on it's damage despite the power not using a projectile:
    • Scrapper Only: Fixed a bug that was causing the fast version of this power inflict slow-version criticals

Yeah, if in-combat fast snipes were using the big slow-snipe damage number, I can see why people would miss it.  But you've got to know that wasn't intended behavior.

1 minute ago, Sailboat said:

My guess would be that the highlighted part is what Scrapper snipe users are most unhappy with:

CHANGE #1 - BUG FIXES:

• Stalker/Scrapper > Mace Mastery > Mace Beam: Fixed numerous bugs in the crit damage.
  • Stalker/Scrapper > Mu Mastery > Zapp: Fixed a bug where this version of Zapp would have a projectile delay on it's damage despite the power not using a projectile:
    • Scrapper Only: Fixed a bug that was causing the fast version of this power inflict slow-version criticals

Yeah, if in-combat fast snipes were using the big slow-snipe damage number, I can see why people would miss it.  But you've got to know that wasn't intended behavior.

Bingo, but it's such a trivial issue that I can't see it as something to pout over.   It seems to be working as it should now in point of fact, and to have been malfunctioning before.

I honestly haven't been able to feel a difference on my scrapper yet anyway since the snipe isn't part of her standard attack chain.  It's an opener or a parting shot at something that's trying to run as I use it.    I immediately noticed that the crit numbers were smaller off of it, and then I proceeded directly into not worrying about it because it's supposed to crit more often now anyway, plus be fixed on the back-end to run the numbers it was supposed to in the first place.

It superficially feels like a small nerf because moar numbers moar better, but it isn't.   It's a molehill in a mountain of goodies.

21 hours ago, Taboo said:

image.png.e8f30254ffdf74f1c9d48252de368fdd.png Awww so cute. It's confusing to these players why anyone could have a problem with one or two of the changes..

It's adorable how you post something confusing enough that several people show their confusion, but you're confused that they are confused about your confusion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sovera said:

It's adorable how you post something confusing enough that several people show their confusion, but you're confused that they are confused about your confusion.

Who's on First...? 😋

Peace...

• Haha 2

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

On 4/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, Grindingsucks said:

Why would you ever power slide + ninja run?  Just sprint + ninja run.

I have always used power slide over sprint. The way these characters run is so...well, it looks like they have a full diaper. It's just ridiculous to see. The slide is vastly better for me. I will never use sprint if I can help it. 

I initially settled out of sprint because of the ridiculous ninja run stance for levels 1-3. Slide/sprint are too slow. Ninja Run is faster, but stacked with slide, it's slightly better. So I stack them for extra speed, and to avoid that stupid look from Ninja run. (before the previous patch that lets you change it)
There's not much in the game that looks...well more stupid than ninja run - to me. I get that we're all different and some folks hate on the prestige power slide, Knock yourselves out, I'm still going to use it. 

15 hours ago, Mezmera said:

But can we revert blaster hp max to tolerable levels or must we suffer them with that uber hp and absorb shields to boot?  I'm not so certain about you pvp'ers and your wants if all we ever see is such diverse pvp tactics. 😛

Apparently the change to Blaster max HP happened during one of the I24 beta builds, so it wasn't a Resurgence/Homecoming change. I don't think it needed to happen period but I guess it was part of an overall adjustment to Blaster survivability in I24 and those changes had zero consideration for how they affected PvP because 1) they were still in beta and 2) I don't think anyone on the dev team cared about PvP by that point. The PvP community has been trying to find a good way to handle the increased Blaster HP but it's something that will probably take a bit of new code to figure out. There were some changes to Blaster base resistances in an early build of this update but they got rolled back because they didn't actually result in an appreciable change because of how DR works. If HP maxmax (i.e. the AT's HP cap) had separate entries for PvP and PvE this would be simple, but that attribute isn't separate.

• Like 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

28 minutes ago, macskull said:

Apparently the change to Blaster max HP happened during one of the I24 beta builds, so it wasn't a Resurgence/Homecoming change. 

Yeah. Sidebar, but I remember testing it on the Paragon Training Room server before the shutdown announcement. My only high-level Blaster at the time had Hoarfrost, which used to be seriously truncated by the original caps. As a PvE-focused player, I was really jazzed about it, before, you know, it all shut down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, macskull said:

Apparently the change to Blaster max HP happened during one of the I24 beta builds, so it wasn't a Resurgence/Homecoming change. I don't think it needed to happen period but I guess it was part of an overall adjustment to Blaster survivability in I24 and those changes had zero consideration for how they affected PvP because 1) they were still in beta and 2) I don't think anyone on the dev team cared about PvP by that point. The PvP community has been trying to find a good way to handle the increased Blaster HP but it's something that will probably take a bit of new code to figure out. There were some changes to Blaster base resistances in an early build of this update but they got rolled back because they didn't actually result in an appreciable change because of how DR works. If HP maxmax (i.e. the AT's HP cap) had separate entries for PvP and PvE this would be simple, but that attribute isn't separate.

It's been nine years (I feel old, but I digress), so my memory is a bit fuzzy.  However, IIRC, at the time (Issue 22 - 23), Blasters were unpopular and widely seen as inferior to both Corruptors and Scrappers.  I'm not saying that that was correct or incorrect, but that was the common perception at the time.  So Paragon Studios decided to try to buff Blaster survivability to make the AT more attractive.  It was probably needed, but they may have went just a wee bit overboard with the HP.

43 minutes ago, macskull said:

If HP maxmax (i.e. the AT's HP cap) had separate entries for PvP and PvE this would be simple, but that attribute isn't separate.

Off-topic and this is probably a dumb idea, but if the hp cap uses a variable rather than constant (unlikely, but I haven't looked at the code - it could be) then an aspect of the inherent could provide +hpmaxmax to change the AT hp caps for either PvE or PvP only. Then you could have the higher hp cap for Blasters in PvE, where it's not needed with all the other i24+ buffs, and the original cap for PvP, where the higher hp cap is also not needed (or really desired).

Edited by siolfir

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

It's been nine years (I feel old, but I digress), so my memory is a bit fuzzy.  However, IIRC, at the time (Issue 22 - 23), Blasters were unpopular and widely seen as inferior to both Corruptors and Scrappers.  I'm not saying that that was correct or incorrect, but that was the common perception at the time.  So Paragon Studios decided to try to buff Blaster survivability to make the AT more attractive.  It was probably needed, but they may have went just a wee bit overboard with the HP.

Blasters were only unpopular to people that couldn't play it tactically.  Now they are so mundane if ever I feel like a mind numbing easy play day I jump on my tank or blaster, blaster is more fun though watching the wake of devastation it leaves, the tank is prettier and doesn't die. 

Snipes and nuke changes (albeit not what it is currently) and maybe half of what happened within their secondary's would have sufficed, the extra hp was a kick to the nuts of all the other squishies.  

Since blasters now have all that extra stuff in their kit and the reasoning for them having more hp than the rest of the squishies is that they supposedly didn't have those options then lets be fair and raise the base and max hp of controllers, doms, corruptors and defenders to match.  Seems like a fair assessment wouldn't it @macskull?  I don't actually want my dom buffed like this or at all really, the revamps were well done, just pointing out options.

Or we could save all that extra coding time and revert the hp for just the blasters since they're good now.  I'd like to pvp again though, just not what this current mess is so do pass those sentiments along.  

Seeing how snipes were the only thing affecting blasters this issue I think I'm a little off topic and ranting at the moon.  

Edited by Mezmera

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

I have always used power slide over sprint. The way these characters run is so...well, it looks like they have a full diaper. It's just ridiculous to see. The slide is vastly better for me. I will never use sprint if I can help it. 

I initially settled out of sprint because of the ridiculous ninja run stance for levels 1-3. Slide/sprint are too slow. Ninja Run is faster, but stacked with slide, it's slightly better. So I stack them for extra speed, and to avoid that stupid look from Ninja run. (before the previous patch that lets you change it)
There's not much in the game that looks...well more stupid than ninja run - to me. I get that we're all different and some folks hate on the prestige power slide, Knock yourselves out, I'm still going to use it. 

Okay, so you don't like the stance animation.  I can grok that, actually.  Thanks for the clarification.  👍