Where do you use Trip Mine?

Diantane

The recent buffs to cast time (assuming you're talking Devices and not Traps here) mean you can run into a mob while stealthed and start casting it and it'll go off right as the rest of the team jumps in.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

These days I end up running up and plant a trip mine at the feet of an enemy(s) that are occupied.

Teams just run so fast at this point that there is no time to set up a good minefield.

Another trick is to set up a mine or two and then teleport an enemy on top of them.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I use them... solo, pretty much.

Though my favourite place to use them has to be Mender Ramiel's arc.  If you *don't* click the pile of debris before the final two rooms (past the Crey guards and into the Rikti,) nothing spawns in the portal room. Tossing trip mines throughtout he spawn points for at least the front two portals - don't put them where Cpt Holz or Honoree spawn - clears them out by the time you run back from the glowie.  (Assuming, of course, you have the recharge to put more than a few down before falling asleep.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I use them solo pretty much only.  It's difficult to use in a team environment.  Even with recent chages, the cast time is still too long to try to drop in the middle of a fight.  However, if a known ambush point coming up, I'll stealth ahead of the team and prep a mine field.  One of my favorite spots to do this is in Ms. Liberty TF, 1st mish, where Arbiter Sands spawns.  I can get about 20-22 mines down while the team works on cables.  The explosion is glorious!  

But yeah, limited use for the power, imo.  

I really wish upon activation of the power, 3 mines would drop in a triangle formation.  Would make setting up and using the power mush easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Though my favourite place to use them has to be Mender Ramiel's arc.  If you *don't* click the pile of debris before the final two rooms (past the Crey guards and into the Rikti,) nothing spawns in the portal room. Tossing trip mines throughtout he spawn points for at least the front two portals - don't put them where Cpt Holz or Honoree spawn - clears them out by the time you run back from the glowie.  (Assuming, of course, you have the recharge to put more than a few down before falling asleep.)

I am absolutely doing this when my guy hits 50, this is great.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Greycat said:

Seconding the "gotta remember this when my /Dev hits 50" comment.

Tho I'm curious: why not mine the big bads' spawn points? I'm assuming it does dumb things to their behaviour or otherwise borks the encounter?

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

4 hours ago, Cutter said:

Seconding the "gotta remember this when my /Dev hits 50" comment.

Tho I'm curious: why not mine the big bads' spawn points? I'm assuming it does dumb things to their behaviour or otherwise borks the encounter?

A, it doesn't do enough damage to them, and B, *I* wouldn't want to face both at once, especially if you get hit with Cpt Holz's Curse of Weariness and get your END cut in half for 5 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

A, it doesn't do enough damage to them, and B, *I* wouldn't want to face both at once, especially if you get hit with Cpt Holz's Curse of Weariness and get your END cut in half for 5 minutes.

Hmm yeah that makes sense!, thanks!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I was on a Monster Hunter league this morning with a /devices blaster (didn’t catch the primary). She made a beautiful design while the lead called out for additions to Adamaster and before the summons. Guessing the mines took off about 1/4 of the health. It was most incredible and the fastest I’ve even seen a giant monster go down (even Deathsurge).

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

On 12/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, UltraAlt said:

These days I end up running up and plant a trip mine at the feet of an enemy(s) that are occupied.

Teams just run so fast at this point that there is no time to set up a good minefield.

Another trick is to set up a mine or two and then teleport an enemy on top of them.

That really got me laughing, thanks!

On 12/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, Greycat said:

One of my favorite create a minefield opportunities is in the Vanguard arc where you defend the conference and you trigger a huge Nemesis ambush and have to save Lady Grey.  Teamed with friends once where we were all AR/Devices.  A huge chunk of Nemesis vaporized almost immediately including those directly holding Lady Grey.

One of my favorite uses for trip mines is when opening presents during the winter event.  Plant mine, click on present—if you’ve been naughty, the mine will clear out the snow beasts.  And because you can click the present while you’re laying down the mine, it doesn’t really add any time to the process, either.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And for some extra pop, you can drop one right after a Time Bomb and get both explosions to go off at the same time.

But I agree with the others... it doesn't get used much on teams.  They move too fast.  

Edited by Mack008

On 12/24/2021 at 10:10 PM, Mack008 said:

And for some extra pop, you can drop one right after a Time Bomb and get both explosions to go off at the same time.

But I agree with the others... it doesn't get used much on teams.  They move too fast.  

Depends on if you are the aoe lead or the boss killer. If you are cleaning up the last spawn it's hard to use it. If you jump in and plant it as the frontline fodder jumps in and follow up with another aoe most minions are dead. 

Recharge let's you do it every spawn with a ball aoe you do quite a chunk of damage. Even more with your ult.

Couple that with soft capped range defense and you usually don't even need the fodder. 

• 2 weeks later