What would you pair with ForceFields ??

smnolimits43

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

For controllers, I like Earth or ice

Having played (as a main...) Earth/FF, I'd say "Not unless you're *always* teamed or like watching things die in geologic time." Which, I suppose, would be appropriate for Earth/.

For Masterminds, the question's going to be "How active do you want to be?" I know some folks love it. For me, a bots/FF nearly bored me off the entire AT because I felt like an observer.  If I were to run another /FF mastermind, I'd probably do something like pick a melee set of pets and plan on the fighting pool - for the attacks - to have something to do.

And for Corruptors and Defenders... well, anything really works. Perhaps pair with Dark (from memory) for some -tohit on the enemies.  (And I, for a set like this, tend to plan on dual builds - one with team powers, one without those but more offense for solo work.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It depends on the character archetype (class), how often you'll be teamed or solo, and what your goal with the character is.

Anything else would just be me listing my personal preferences. Why would you care about which power sets I like playing?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 hours ago, Greycat said:

For Masterminds, the question's going to be "How active do you want to be?" I know some folks love it. For me, a bots/FF nearly bored me off the entire AT because I felt like an observer.  If I were to run another /FF mastermind, I'd probably do something like pick a melee set of pets and plan on the fighting pool - for the attacks - to have something to do.

And for Corruptors and Defenders... well, anything really works. Perhaps pair with Dark (from memory) for some -tohit on the enemies.  (And I, for a set like this, tend to plan on dual builds - one with team powers, one without those but more offense for solo work.)

/agree that Robots/FF Mastermind is not how I would roll. I can see the appeal, but the contributions from /Force Field strike me as being completely unnecessary for the survival of the henchmen and will do very little to improve map clear times.

On a Defender, I went FF/Beam. I found Force Fields to be a primary I didn't need to take many powers from early (if ever), allowing me to pick up more of the secondary attacks... and of course FF has some decent mules for whenever you want them. The -Res from Repulsion Bolt is a nice enough attack and feels like it pairs with the DoT effects,; Dispersion Bubble is the toggle I used to hold the Kismet piece.

13 hours ago, Greycat said:

I have learned to skip the fighting pool attacks.  Toxic Dart from the experimentation pool does good DoT with a recharge of 4 seconds.  

Taking just Toxic Dart gives me a fairly constant attack chain with controllers with just that, the single target immob and single target hold.

• Like 1

FF we always fun for me because it let me buff everyone for 4 mins and then spend most of my time with my other powerset. 

FF is great at protection and increasing defence, as you’d imagine. So if you really want to double down on it, then dark powers with -acc are a great combo - but maybe pretty overkill.

What can be fun is to pair with something wild and aggressive, to bring balance. 

Earth control brings a heavy amount of -def for enemies. While you won’t do a lot of damage yourself, it makes everything easy to hit.

Sonic attacks are good for this reason too, to leverage the -res.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I have a FF/DB defender and a Ninja/FF MM.

FF can be a great set and works well exemplaring in my experience or on hard mode content.

The defender was an exercise in stacking defense and flooring tohit which synergize well together. The MM was a randomly rolled toon and it's maybe lvl 46 or so, and due to that I don't have a lot of experience testing that one out.

I have a Bots/FF Mastermind, and I was not in any way whelmed.

One of my first characters, entirely concept-based, was a Gravity/FF controller, who was little fun solo, but good on teams.

Recent buffs, like better/faster Propel, and the finger-saving FF group effect, made him much more fun all 'round. I still don't know if anyone else would enjoy the combo, but if it fits your concept, go for it!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 12/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, cranebump said:

A nice Chianti?

And some Fava Beans and a prime cut of Census taker?

For FF I have always gone with a character theme over straight power selection.  Although I do find FF a little boring, but pretty much anything goes with it.  

Honestly there isn't anything that has amazing synergy with FF, so it really comes down to what you want to play. There is some minor advantage with powers that have -ToHit and/or -ACC, like Dark, as those will make the FF bubbles work a bit better. For Masterminds, pairing FF with Bots works well, as the Bots have their own FF bubbles and they stack with yours.