Travel Powers - what happened?

Snarky

The travel speed sort of feels like it's easy enough mitigated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can put the Microfilament Exposure Hami-O into one of the many Prestige sprints for a 33% boost to both run and jump. You can put a +5 boosted level 50 run and jump IO into two other sprints for 53% boost. So based on what you need you can slightly boost whatever you're going to stack with ninja run and jet pack.

Depending on your Alpha, those Sprints might be boosted further. You can also do a Mayhem mission that rewards a movement boost for 24 hours of gameplay, which takes 10 minutes to get. 

But personally, I'm a min-maxer, and I just struggle to stuff everything I want into a build. So travel often gets cut. It can be slow at times, but I try to mitigate that with mission transporters (there's 2 in P2W).

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 hours ago, Leogunner said:

I believe someone made a thread about a facelift to the older pools.  Looking at presence, I don't like needing both a taunt and/or placate to get the PBAoE fear.  I'd rather just be able to get either a taunt, placate OR fear to be able to grab the PBAoE version...that or make the powers in this pool better...like increasing your defense or giving you absorb or something...

Perhaps you weren't clear, but to get the PBAoE fear, you don't need to take both the taunt and placate, you can choose the single-target fear as your second power.

My complaint about the Presence pool is that both the PBAoE fear and Unrelenting are very good powers, and to get them both it is 4 picks into the pool.

My characters fly or jump.  Air Superiority remains very handy, especially on a melee attack set with very little control like Fire.  With jumping it's a tossup between the yellow jump pool for Combat Jumping, or the olive jump pool for the single target -def and -res debuff.  I forget the official names for all of these. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• City Council

FWIW I agree the original travel pools (and perhaps some other power pools) have fallen behind. It's something I do want to investigate at some point, but it's not in our plans for the immediate future.

Perhaps a thread in the suggestions forum with your ideas on how to bring these pools up to par would be warranted 🙂

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

At least on Everlasting were RP by and large rules the creation of and power choices for characters, a great many are still based first and foremost on their choice of travel pool. Want to RP a speedster you better have SS or no one will treat you like a speedster. Want to be seen as a superman leap tall buildings type yep going to need some SJ and Fly, why both? because SJing then hitting fly once you hit your jumps peak is a much faster rise into the sky and for superman types that technique is essential for the concept.

Every real magic rp toon is taking sorcery if just for mystic flight for the cool floating runes while not having to waste their aura on that effect.

I myself let concept entirely decide, My pure humans, yep ninja run/sprint/rocket pack, hover board. Rather tough on one of my stalkers as I favor stalkers always carrying recall friend and feel bad when I cant do that on a stealth toon.  Long Range TP actually is very good, especially if like me your not trying to abuse the whole /command to go to your base(( I try to restrict myself to only using it to hit my base fast for the trainer and vendor which feels more rpish then using the ozone vendor)) Knowing how the HC devs feel about that command has had me trying to discourage folks from growing used to it.

My biggest gripe with LRT is it doesnt include every zone and really should. It also should have a lower cooldown, and no real casting time. Its not a frelling temp power, vet power or accolade, it is a power pick it is a cost to the build and should not be hindered by such lameness.

Id fix the teleport pool by making recall friend, and tp foe one power, make team teleport be the last pick and function like the team transporter p2w power but of course no real cooldown being able to be used frequently and effectively.  Just off the top.

I actually see very few lacking an actual travel power in my play time, so frankly I think its only hard core meta gamers trying to squeeze every drop of combat power out of a build that entirely forsake travel powers.

And as to the pools in general, yes they could use some revamping, but I cant think of any pool that is never taken by any body ever. Each can be made useful in various builds depending on playstyle. like obviously if you solo most of the time youd never take veng just as an obvious example.

If anything the issue is how many players dont take the truly most useful powers like invisibility, recall friend,  the healing pool, because omg I have to take powers to help others before the powers to help myself how horrible.

I mean when you are ona  team of full stealthers it is a thing of such glorious beauty that I doubt those who have never been in such a team can comprehend how much more heroic it feels to focus on the objectives, and saving the day rather then mass murder mode.

• Like 1

that's fair @Haijinx

it's also like me wanting to play a petless mastermind.

I can do it but that's not what was intended.

that said, if we can mount a flying carpet or rocket board we should be able to mount flying dragons or even a scooter.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Motorcycles would be awesome (and the asset does already exist in-game; so some of the work is done).  But yeah; how could I forget scooters?!  One of my players for my tabletop City of Heroes roleplaying campaign actually had her teenage heroine zipping around Paragon on a little vespa.

Make it so!  

• Like 2

Nah nah nah, see, it's all good.  They'll hear the Harley coming and think "must be a Brute!  Get ready!"
But then the sound just stops abruptly, and they're just standing around . . . waiting . . . 

"Must not have been us that they were after, eh Bob?   . . . Bob?  BOB!"
But it's too late.  Bob's been Assassin Arrest'd!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

At least on Everlasting were RP by and large rules the creation of and power choices for characters... (snip) essential for the concept.

(snip)

If anything the issue is how many players dont take the truly most useful powers like invisibility, recall friend,  the healing pool, because omg I have to take powers to help others before the powers to help myself how horrible.

Maybe those powers don't fit the character concept?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I was asking more about what "perma temp" meant exactly.

If Rikti were break it down it might sound like this:

Power acquisition status:  permanent

Power classification type:  temporary

In game play experience it means you permanently have access to the temp travel power, but if your teammate decides to set the dial to "Master of _________" which disables temp powers, then you're going to be walking to the bus stop and begging for rides to mission doors from teammates.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bopper said:

The only travel power I picked since coming back is Teleport for my Granite Tank. All my characters use Prestige Sprint, Ninja Run, and Jump Pack from P2W. Between those and Base Teleport, I will get to where I need to go quickly enough.

This is exactly what I do.   Except I prefer the Steam Jump version.    But I still take them both, because the cooldowns are separate so if you happen to need more than 30s, you just toggle to the other one for continuously up travel.     

The only time I take travel powers are tight builds that need KB protection slots (and/or ranged def) that are also trying to unlock part of a Power Pool. 

*Edit*  Another exception, if a build needs permanent Stealth and I already have Hasten, then I take SuperSpeed with a Celerity.   (i.e.  Mind Doms that use aggroless confuse and sleep powers...)

Edited by Dr Causality
SuperSpeed Stealth
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

FWIW I agree the original travel pools (and perhaps some other power pools) have fallen behind. It's something I do want to investigate at some point, but it's not in our plans for the immediate future.

Perhaps a thread in the suggestions forum with your ideas on how to bring these pools up to par would be warranted 🙂

Don't touch Super Jump, Super Speed, or Combat Jumping. They're perfect. Not only that, Super-Jump is THE best power in the game, and nothing else in-game makes you feel Super than leaping around the landscape, cities, maps. 

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but I kind of miss the long traveling between missions. Now everything is just click, presto, I'm there. I miss traveling around and racing my fellow team mates to missions that are in another zone. Now the only race we have is yo see who can click the instant teleport button faster.

Having said that  I find it odd that a Master of Teleportation can't control where he/she teleports to on said map, but somebody with Mission Teleporter can.

I agree that Long Range Teleportation should be changed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Combat Jumping is a top five power in the entire game as far as I'm concerned. I'd choose it over Hasten. 

I'd like it a lot more If it didn't de-toggle Ninja Run.   I find CJ annoying to use, because I usually have Ninja Run as my primary travel power.   But Immobilize protection, +Def and slot mule for a LotG, leads me to take CJ fairly often anyway. 

Edited by Dr Causality

25 minutes ago, Dr Causality said:

I'd like it a lot more If it didn't de-toggle Ninja Run.   I find CJ annoying to use, because I usually have Ninja Run as my primary travel power.   But Immobilize protection, +Def and slot mule for a LotG, leads me to take CJ fairly often anyway. 

I use a bind to switch between the two, much less annoying that way.

/bind C "powexectoggleon Ninja Run$$powexectoggleon Combat Jumping"

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Call me crazy, but I kind of miss the long traveling between missions. Now everything is just click, presto, I'm there.

You're reminding me of all the banter and chat the used to happen, while we were waiting for teammates to make it the mission door.   I suppose a downside of the current frantic pace, is there's less time for human interaction.   Worth thinking about as an overall quality of life thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I use a bind to switch between the two, much less annoying that way.

/bind C "powexectoggleon Ninja Run$$powexectoggleon Combat Jumping"

I use those too.  But I have severe altitisus, so I make them as Macros, and then have binds to positions in power trays.  That way by putting the travel macro in a specific place on power trays the bind works on whatever alt I happen to be on and I can also look at the tray to be see whats' available...

The problem is that it's still frustrating how slow you become dropping from Ninja Run to CJ.  It hleps if you have a sprint on, but then you're using a lot of endurance.   I'm gonna stop complaining.  It's really nice to have the Ninja Run option, definitely improved my enjoyment of the game.

Also, worth noting it doesn't work as well as with CJ, but even Hover and Ninja Run can toggle passably.  

36 minutes ago, Dr Causality said:

I use those too.  But I have severe altitisus, so I make them as Macros, and then have binds to positions in power trays.  That way by putting the travel macro in a specific place on power trays the bind works on whatever alt I happen to be on and I can also look at the tray to be see whats' available...

The problem is that it's still frustrating how slow you become dropping from Ninja Run to CJ.  It hleps if you have a sprint on, but then you're using a lot of endurance.   I'm gonna stop complaining.  It's really nice to have the Ninja Run option, definitely improved my enjoyment of the game.

Also, worth noting it doesn't work as well as with CJ, but even Hover and Ninja Run can toggle passably.  

It's an understandable complaint. I have a WM/Bio Scrapper that couldn't quite make room for a travel power, and I really miss having Super Speed and Combat Jumping on all the time.

1 hour ago, Dr Causality said:

You're reminding me of all the banter and chat the used to happen, while we were waiting for teammates to make it the mission door.   I suppose a downside of the current frantic pace, is there's less time for human interaction.   Worth thinking about as an overall quality of life thing. 

Exactly! I do miss the casual chat that would take place while waiting.  😞

I was just doing some of that yesterday  though, it does still happen!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝